[SOLVED] Unable to format Micro SD card, RAW format + no file system?

grebgonebad

Distinguished
Hi everyone!

A friend of mine came to me with a Samsung Evo 64gb micro SD card today and told me that it was no longer showing up on their phone and asked if I could recover the data from it. I used PhotoRec to retrieve the data and then attempted to format the disk to make it usable again, however I'm hitting a wall.

I'm using diskpart and so far I've not been able to do much of anything with the disk. If I attempt to clean the disk it hangs and then ejects after a couple minutes, I cannot add a filesystem as there is apparently not enough space to do so (pictured), and other than getting the disk to show up in disc manager and the like, I'm at a loss as to what to do next. Could the card simply be dead, or is there a trick that I am unaware of here? Ha ha.

Many thanks for any replies.

EDIT: Picture upload isn't working so here's a link: https://ibb.co/YkbgShr

Two things to consider:

According to diskpart, there are 59GB (sold as 64BG?) free space. There are many devices that have a maximum limit on 32GB for SD memory cards. The phone may have this limit, and so can be the case for your SD reader, which may be the reason why you cannot format it.

If neither is the case, then you must remember that te card have already got corrupted. It may be caused by a malfunction of the SD card itself. And if that is the case, it would probably also make trouble when you trying to re-format the card.

Reactions: grebgonebad

grebgonebad

Distinguished
Two things to consider:

According to diskpart, there are 59GB (sold as 64BG?) free space. There are many devices that have a maximum limit on 32GB for SD memory cards. The phone may have this limit, and so can be the case for your SD reader, which may be the reason why you cannot format it.

If neither is the case, then you must remember that te card have already got corrupted. It may be caused by a malfunction of the SD card itself. And if that is the case, it would probably also make trouble when you trying to re-format the card.
Sorry, I should have mentioned this before. The card was already successfully working in my friends phone before the issue occurred, so I'm fairly certain that it's not the fault of the device. Also I'm trying to format the card on my PC (also tried the same process on a laptop with a built in SD card reader) to no avail.

I'm assuming that the card itself is shagged, in which case it's no harm done as I've manged to recover the data from it. It's pure curiosity as to whether I can get the thing functioning again. Ha ha.

Cheers for the reply anyway, much appreciated. =)

grebgonebad

Distinguished
I'll say you've pretty much answered your own question. I'd just toss it.
Yup. I think I've wasted enough time trying to find out if it's a simple formatting error. The things are a dime a dozen these days so I'm just thankful it wasn't an expensive fault. Cheers again for your input anyway, it's put my mind at rest. A second opinion is always helpful.