Question Unable to restore files from a previous File History backup

AccessArk

Prominent
Jun 3, 2022
I've been unable to restore from a backup I made on a seperate drive on my computer.

It was a regular backup done using Windows explorer however, my system recently failed and went into a auto repair loop which meant I had to reinstall windows again.

Windows seems to know a previous backup exists but won't allow it to be restored so I'm left with a file history folder with snapshots of all my documents with no way to restore or recover them to full utility.

Is there any way to fix this ? Thanks

AccessArk

Prominent
Jun 3, 2022
I've tried and it hasn't worked unfortunately.
Every time I select that previous file history as a backup location it refuses to backup.
Also, even when that file history is selected and I tried to restore personal files I'm presented with the page 'No File History was found' even though I selected that backup.

Without getting too technical, when you run File History, it basically creates a database of the files, their locations, and when they were backed up. This database is then linked to your specific computer name and your user name. It is also assigned a unique code that is keyed to your computer. This coding system is what prevents you from being able to just take a File History backup from one PC and restore it on another PC.

However, when you select the I Want To Use A Previous Backup On This File History Drive check box and allow File History to make a backup, it essentially incorporates the existing database, from your previous backup, into the new database it is creating for your new Windows 10 installation. As it does so, it combines both computer names and user names along with a new code that is keyed to your new computer. This combining operation is what allows you to restore your previous File History backup in your new Windows 10 installation.

On your new fresh Windows installation, file history should be in off state (not enabled by default), if you selected Turn on, Windows will begin to make new backup and you will loose opportunity to restore your old backup.

The workaround to this problem involves deleting the File History backup you inadvertently made and re-creating your user account on your new system. Then you’ll be able to use File History the correct way.

AccessArk

Prominent
Jun 3, 2022
"The workaround to this problem involves deleting the File History backup you inadvertently made and re-creating your user account on your new system. Then you’ll be able to use File History the correct way"

Thanks for explaining why my File Backup isn't working but could you clarify what you mean by re-creating my user account? I currently have my Microsoft account as my user account as I did back in my previous installation of Windows 10. Also, by deleting inadvertent File Backups are you referring new backups that were created by selecting the drive with the original backup thereby isolating the old backup from that previous installation of Windows? Or did you mean something else?

but could you clarify what you mean by re-creating my user account? I currently have my Microsoft account as my user account as I did back in my previous installation of Windows 10.
windows has local account stored in users folder (C:\Users), it doesnt matter if you linked it with online account or not, you will need to create new administrator account, then log into it, you can sign it online, i believe through microsoft store and thats how you recreate it, old account can be deleted if you have backed up anything not synced with onedrive, some apps might need to be reinstalled aswell if they werent installed for all users

Also, by deleting inadvertent File Backups are you referring new backups that were created by selecting the drive with the original backup thereby isolating the old backup from that previous installation of Windows? Or did you mean something else?
yes, any new backups made with your new windows

AccessArk

Prominent
Jun 3, 2022
Alright so I have tried the solution and it hasn't worked however I may know why.
When Windows broke for me I was on Windows 11 and I have now reverted back to Windows 10. This is just a guess but the backup file can't be restored since it was backuped in Win 11. Is this true or does it not matter regardless?

USAFRet

Titan
Alright so I have tried the solution and it hasn't worked however I may know why.
When Windows broke for me I was on Windows 11 and I have now reverted back to Windows 10. This is just a guess but the backup file can't be restored since it was backuped in Win 11. Is this true or does it not matter regardless?
While I've never tried it, I highly doubt you can do this restore between different OS versions.

One of the MANY reasons I do not rely on the built in Windows backup situations.

TRENDING THREADS