[SOLVED] unable to run ram at 3200mhz

Dec 31, 2021
I keep getting assorted blue screen errors while running my computer for 30 minutes or so with blue screen errors like "Kernel_security_check_failure", "Pfn_list_corrupt", and "Kmode_exception_not_handled" all right after I enabled XMP mode to run my ram at 3200mhz instead of 2133mhz. I have the ram in slots 2 and 4 and these issues do not occur if I have xmp disabled. I even bought new ram and tried enabling xmp but my computer liked that even less than the other 2 sticks. My spec are below and I think my issue is an older processor.

Ryzen 7 2700x -https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B428M7F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2x16gb GSkills 16-18-18-38 3200mhz - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0171GQR0C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SVRZGMX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Zotac 1080ti
Thermaltake 750w Power -https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IUQRPQS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My bios are on the current update (f36e) and I had done a fresh install of windows right before hand.
Thanks for the help in advance!

Solution
Hi LordNerdYo (y) and Welcome to the Forum :)

When XMP does not work for you, It does not mean the modules are bad it means there is an incorrect setting in Bios for either Timings or Voltage. In such a case you will have to program your SPD values manually.

Test with just a single module in the first slot (meant for single channel mode) and try to boot at default 2133Mhz. If the system boots you can check your SPD values in CPUz (write them down) or if the system fails to boot and requests you go into Bios then the SPD values for your RAM should be listed there. If this fails then swap out the single module for the other (to eliminate a possible module error)

The G.SKILL kit you have chosen should work however a...
Hi LordNerdYo (y) and Welcome to the Forum :)

When XMP does not work for you, It does not mean the modules are bad it means there is an incorrect setting in Bios for either Timings or Voltage. In such a case you will have to program your SPD values manually.

Test with just a single module in the first slot (meant for single channel mode) and try to boot at default 2133Mhz. If the system boots you can check your SPD values in CPUz (write them down) or if the system fails to boot and requests you go into Bios then the SPD values for your RAM should be listed there. If this fails then swap out the single module for the other (to eliminate a possible module error)

The G.SKILL kit you have chosen should work however a little tweaking may be required for command rate, dram voltage or primary timings.
Disable XMP and change the frequency of your RAM to 3200MHz and manually key in your primary timings as per CPUz with DRAM voltage set to 1.35V. and test.
If unsuccessful then test with command rate set to 2t instead of 1t. You may also need to up the DRAM voltage to 1.4V

Report your result.

Solution
Dec 31, 2021
Quick question, Do I not need to be in xmp mode to run my ram at 3200mhz? I thought xmp had to be enabled in order to do this. This is the goal I am trying to accomplish, run my ram at 3200mhz instead of the motherboard default of 2133mhz

Quick question, Do I not need to be in xmp mode to run my ram at 3200mhz? I thought xmp had to be enabled in order to do this. This is the goal I am trying to accomplish, run my ram at 3200mhz instead of the motherboard default of 2133mhz
You do not necessarily need to be in XMP mode to achieve 3200MHz however, If there is an XMP profile for easy Overclocking to 3200MHz then use it by all means.
Sometimes these profiles do not work and when they don't the system will default to a safe set of values that comply with JEDEC.

XMP is an extended profile of SPD (serial presence detect) values written by Intel to suit their CPUs whereas D.O.C.P is the AMD equivalent.

If you have RAM at 3200MHz and the CPU supports that Overclock then fine however it is the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) on the chip that determines if you can achieve the rated RAM frequency of which there is no guarantee. Hence you have to manually OC in Bios.

Last edited:
Mixing kits is never a good idea. Your system has defaulted to a frequency it has determined will work and sometimes they do work but very often not without issues.
DIMMs are binned at the factory into single matching kits. They are matched based on the silicon quality, and tested for Latency/Density.

Many think (for budgetary reasons) that if the same matched kit is added then they should work together however although they may boot with a lower frequency, the slight variations in Latency cause sudden reboots or unexpected shut downs.
It is an extremely precise and technical process getting Timings correct and with stability.
My advice is to return the kit you just purchased and get a single kit (2x8) 16GB at a frequency your Motherboard and CPU support that have been tested, known to work and listed on the MB QVL. Keep the originals for spares..

It is highly recommended to update Bios to f36e and your chipset prior to installing the new RAM.
Here is your Bios::
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570-AORUS-ELITE-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios
Here is your MB QVL for Pinnacle Ridge: https://download.gigabyte.com/FileL...231_v2.pdf?v=cf0c0d27f8c2f32916b59d61ac402d28
If you wish I can recommend a good kit for you.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2021
I think that's what my problem is. I had 4 sticks to start, 2 different sets, but then I sold 2 sticks from different sets. could that be messing with the xmp mode and causing it to crash? Plus when I looked closer at the page listing where I bought them from they are listed as 2666mhz but also 3200mhz, which makes me feel like I got scammed.

I think that's what my problem is. I had 4 sticks to start, 2 different sets, but then I sold 2 sticks from different sets. could that be messing with the xmp mode and causing it to crash? Plus when I looked closer at the page listing where I bought them from they are listed as 2666mhz but also 3200mhz, which makes me feel like I got scammed.

Pretty sure I'm understanding you correctly however you haven't done anyone a favor in selling on the way you have. 😖
Not only that but you tried to mix kits with differing Latency and ofc there will be XMP issues. Those you sold onto will now inherit the problem.

Dec 31, 2021
Well this was about a year ago, and I thought you just need the same exact ram (brand, clock speed, size, etc.) I haven't heard about ram issues from 2 different packages till just recently. Those I sold to didn't ask these questions either so it's not like I gave false information. The probably didn't know that was a thing either. Besides, The ram works fine while not in xmp mode, and right now I set my voltage to 1.4v and it works fine in xmp mode. That might have been the issue for me

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Problem is doubtful it was mixed kits, although that doesn't help. 1st and 2nd Gen Ryzen do Not like 4x sticks of ram at all. Slots 2/4 are the primary slots, but 1/3 are secondary and usually do not run at higher than default memory controller speeds. So you try and set 3200MHz with 4 sticks, you'll get 2133MHz as 3200MHz is too high for stability.

SR is single Rank type ram, DR is Dual Rank type ram, not to be confused with Single/Dual Channel.

On your board, if you have 4x sticks of SR, you could most likely get 2933MHz stable, but if any of the sticks is Dual Rank, you'd be looking at 2666MHz instead.

It's why 1 kit, 2 sticks is highly suggested for max speeds in slots 2/4 for best stability.

Dec 31, 2021
I am running them in slots 2 and 4, the voltage change caused a kernal_secruity bluescreen after I restarted it this morning after running it for 30 minutes, but the weird thing is it worked for a couple hours last night. I only notice a little bit of difference when it runs at 3200mhz versus 2133 mhz so I think I might just deal with it for now. I saw ddr5 is out but that is extremely rare and expensive. I'll keep all this info for when I upgrade my pc

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
When you upgrade, any info about your current pc components will most likely not be applicable. Both Intel and Amd and nvidia are pushing 90-95% boundaries on their equipment. About the only thing worth doing now, even with a K class cpu and Z rated mobo, is change xmp. Overclocking is dieing a slow death and undervolting is becoming the name of the game.