[SOLVED] Unable to Update Microsoft and Other Odd PC Problems - Registry Issue?

inopportune_sneeze

Reputable
Nov 19, 2018
Hello,

I have an odd variety of issues with my gaming PC that have been going on over the last few months which do not seem to line up with any hardware changes or software updates. It seems to be originating from a registry issue but I haven't gotten to the bottom of it quite yet. I seem to be in over my head here and any help would be appreciated!

Here's a list of some of the issues I have going on:

-Unable to update Microsoft - Error code 0x8007042c (can't check for updates - last feature update was Windows 10, version 1909 on 2/15/2020. Last quality updates were on 11/8/2020: 2020-07 cumulative update preview for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 Windows 10 and 2020-01 update for windows 10 x64 1909)
-Unable to run Google Chrome anymore (this started out of the blue a few months ago. I am able to temporarily fix by deleting user data folder but the issue returns after a few days where Chrome simply will not open when clicking on it)
-Unable to open device manager (get error "MMC could not create the snap-in")
-Unable to detect wifi networks (using a USB wifi adapter; this seems to be a USB recognition issue. Under Network and Sharing Center, I get an error that says "The dependency service or group failed to start")
-Occasional blue screen PC restarts (this only occurs after waking the PC from sleep mode rather than shut down. I've had a variety of stop codes with this, the latest was: "PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA - what failed: klif.sys")

Here are some of my specs:

OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (v 10.0.18363) System Model: MS-7B86 Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 BaseBoard: B450-A-PRO BIOS Version/Date: American Medatrends A.00 6/26/2018 SMBIOS Version 2.8 BIOS Mode UEFI
Using Kaspersky Free antivirus, no viruses detected on a full scan today.

I've looked through quite a few forums and seen some similar issues but I've had no success so far in finding any solutions. Any help would be appreciated!

Solution
Update windows - On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

once you have USB, put it in PC thats not letting you update
go to file explorer & navigate to USB
run setup.exe and agree to update current PC
follow on screen steps

this likely fix the other issues as well. Otherwise there are:

Fix Windows - right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC...
Hello,

I have an odd variety of issues with my gaming PC that have been going on over the last few months which do not seem to line up with any hardware changes or software updates. It seems to be originating from a registry issue but I haven't gotten to the bottom of it quite yet. I seem to be in over my head here and any help would be appreciated!

Here's a list of some of the issues I have going on:

-Unable to update Microsoft - Error code 0x8007042c (can't check for updates - last feature update was Windows 10, version 1909 on 2/15/2020. Last quality updates were on 11/8/2020: 2020-07 cumulative update preview for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 Windows 10 and 2020-01 update for windows 10 x64 1909)
-Unable to run Google Chrome anymore (this started out of the blue a few months ago. I am able to temporarily fix by deleting user data folder but the issue returns after a few days where Chrome simply will not open when clicking on it)
-Unable to open device manager (get error "MMC could not create the snap-in")
-Unable to detect wifi networks (using a USB wifi adapter; this seems to be a USB recognition issue. Under Network and Sharing Center, I get an error that says "The dependency service or group failed to start")
-Occasional blue screen PC restarts (this only occurs after waking the PC from sleep mode rather than shut down. I've had a variety of stop codes with this, the latest was: "PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA - what failed: klif.sys")

Here are some of my specs:

OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (v 10.0.18363) System Model: MS-7B86 Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 BaseBoard: B450-A-PRO BIOS Version/Date: American Medatrends A.00 6/26/2018 SMBIOS Version 2.8 BIOS Mode UEFI
Using Kaspersky Free antivirus, no viruses detected on a full scan today.

I've looked through quite a few forums and seen some similar issues but I've had no success so far in finding any solutions. Any help would be appreciated!
Open cmd as admin type the following command
" SFC /scannow"

Reactions: inopportune_sneeze

Colif

Win 11 Master
Update windows - On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

follow on screen steps

and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

BSOD - Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

Open Windows File Explorer
Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

Reactions: inopportune_sneeze
Solution

inopportune_sneeze

Reputable
Nov 19, 2018

follow on screen steps

and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

BSOD - Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

Open Windows File Explorer
Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

The USB Windows update did the trick! Thanks for the help!