[SOLVED] unable to update windows 10 from 1803

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

funkman4

Reputable
Jan 23, 2021
Hi there,for 2 years i have been unable to update 2020-02 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 64 bit.I had tried all the options that i came across online,sfc/scannow, DISM would not complete,
reinstalling windows(all methods) would not complete.
Somehow yesterday,by following a topic i was able to get sfc/scannow and DISM to run fully,but stil unable to update.
My motherboard is asusM4A89GTD USB3 i know that there is no drivers for windows 10 for it,but i still dont think that the motherboard is the problem.
also Microsoft .NET Framework 4.8 for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64 (KB4486153) - Error 0x800705aa
id love some new advice on this, as i dont want to go down route of new motherboard and same probs.
i have AMD Phenom II X6 1090T,and 8gb ram ATI Radeon HD 4350 card
Every now and again when i click the start button i get the error that start menu is not available.
ALSO, my motherboard is ASUS,but when i go into BIOS setup,along the bottom it says American Megatrends,does this sound correct?
thanks

Solution
well, lets see. BIOS is legacy only (doesn't support GPT, doesn't have secure boot). Installer can work on legacy so not problem.
i found one recently where they couldn't install win 10 from USB but no answer.
try usb 2 slots on back of pc?

funkman4

Reputable
Jan 23, 2021
ok.so i restarted pc,pressed delete to get into bios set 1st boot device to removable,2nd to cd rom,3rd to my hard drive, pressed save and exit and it proceeds to start up windows.
whats that all about?

Colif

Win 11 Master
well, lets see. BIOS is legacy only (doesn't support GPT, doesn't have secure boot). Installer can work on legacy so not problem.
i found one recently where they couldn't install win 10 from USB but no answer.
try usb 2 slots on back of pc?

Solution

funkman4

Reputable
Jan 23, 2021
ok so i have started pc again went into BIOS and disabled cdrom and sata so only removable device left,proceeds to start then i get message "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key

funkman4

Reputable
Jan 23, 2021
it has worked,im amazed! hehe
turns out i needed to select the usb stick,i thought when it said recovery device that was the usb stick,but when i pressed enter on recovery device i could choose the sandisk usb.whoooohoooooooooo.thank you all
new motherboard my ass!

Reactions: Colif