Question Unable to use a CPU thats compatible?

DatTechGuy

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013
I recently acquired a i7 4790k to replace my i5 4960k.

I tried installing the i7 into my motherboard which is a ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO. I receive the error code of 00.

But I believe this is the the motherboard being of a old bios version.

Now I am facing even more problems. I've switched back to my old processor and now that has locked me to a continuous bios screen. I cant seem to get windows to boot anymore.

Lutfij

Titan
You might want to see what your SATA/Storage controller options are? If it's IDE or something else, set it to AHCI. I recall the Maximus VI Hero being able to update it's BIOS while on the BIOS screen, once you've got the BIOS file on a FAT32 formatted pen drive.

Mind sharing your full specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
Inspect the processor socket on the motherboard, you may have damaged some pins. That or the new CPU that was installed may have been faulty or the backside of it was not completely clean causing some short circuit. This is assuming that you can't even get into the BIOS menu.

DatTechGuy

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013
You might want to see what your SATA/Storage controller options are? If it's IDE or something else, set it to AHCI. I recall the Maximus VI Hero being able to update it's BIOS while on the BIOS screen, once you've got the BIOS file on a FAT32 formatted pen drive.

Mind sharing your full specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
CPU: Currently on the i5 4960K wanting to switch to my new i7 4790K
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero
RAM: CORSAIR Vengence 8GB Ram 1600mhz
SSD: 120 Samsung Evo HDD: Segate barrucuda 1TB
PSU: ANTEC CURRENT GAMER 750W
CHASSIS: CORSAIR CARBIDE SPEC DELTA

I do recall fiddling with the Sata controller options but to no avail. It gave me this screen about
Detected ATA/ATAPI Devices on the American Metra tends.

Is it possible its corrupted SSD? I've had the thing since 2014/2015

DatTechGuy

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013
Inspect the processor socket on the motherboard, you may have damaged some pins. That or the new CPU that was installed may have been faulty or the backside of it was not completely clean causing some short circuit. This is assuming that you can't even get into the BIOS menu.
I have and everything is just as I imagined. The strange part is I am able to boot to the bios screen with my old CPU. But as soon as I chuck in the new one it gives me error 00. I've looked it up and it seems it's coming from a bios error.