[SOLVED] Unallocated space won't be used

Daniel Youssef

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
When i was going through disk management I saw one of my Hard drives having unallocated space, but It seems that it won't be used no matter what I do, I tried extending one of the partitions to add the unallocated space to it but it keeps giving me "not enough space to complete this operation", I tried making a new partition with the un-allocated space but still gives the same error.
QVpmsp7.png

uerEgQa.png

Solution
You're still referring to the 165.18GB partition on Disk 3?

Right click on that space, and select New Simple Volume.
Or
Wipe the whole drive. Commandline diskpart, and the clean command. Be absolutely sure of which drive you are accessing. That is a one way trip to an empty drive.
It seems that it won't be used no matter what I do, I tried extending one of the partitions to add the unallocated space to it but it keeps giving me "not enough space to complete this operation"
Disk 1 is of type dynamic. I'd strongly suggest you clean the drive, convert to basic and repartition it. This will save you from later problems.

Copy all data from D: to I:
Copy all data from E: to I:
clean Disk 1 (use diskpart for this))
convert to basic
recreate partitions D: and E:
copy data back from I: to D: and E:

Daniel Youssef

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
2 options:

New Simple Volume, and use that 165GB space as its own partition.
or
Move any and all data off to elsewhere, delete ALL partitions leaving one blank space. Use the whole 465GB. Or make another D and E, but still with that whole space.
I'm trying to achieve this, after moving all the files to another partition what's the next step ? format that hard-drive and use the entire space for 1 partition? can this be done using disk partitioning ?

USAFRet

Titan
I'm trying to achieve this, after moving all the files to another partition what's the next step ? format that hard-drive and use the entire space for 1 partition? can this be done using disk partitioning ?
Delete each partition, resulting in one blank space.
New Simple Volume, Format, and give it a drive letter.

Can be done in Disk Management, or from the commandline.

Reactions: Juan_Bijero

Daniel Youssef

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
Delete each partition, resulting in one blank space.
New Simple Volume, Format, and give it a drive letter.

Can be done in Disk Management, or from the commandline.
I think I’ve made a mistake, so I was also installing a new ssd, I’ve deleted the partition when installing the windows but I didn’t see my ssd when trying to install so i restarted my pc, I also have switched the sata cable of my HDDs now my Bios won’t even show any hard drive what do I do?

USAFRet

Titan
I think I’ve made a mistake, so I was also installing a new ssd, I’ve deleted the partition when installing the windows but I didn’t see my ssd when trying to install so i restarted my pc, I also have switched the sata cable of my HDDs now my Bios won’t even show any hard drive what do I do?
Does the system run?

Please show us a screencap of the current Disk Management window.
Also, what make/model is this new SSD?

Daniel Youssef

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
Does the system run?

Please show us a screencap of the current Disk Management window.
Also, what make/model is this new SSD?
Yea the system does run only thing is since I’ve deleted the partition which had the OS installed on it wants me to select a partition to boot from when I go to bios and do that this is all it shows me
rvFMA2Y.jpg

edit: SSD is Crucial 240gb

USAFRet

Titan
Yea the system does run only thing is since I’ve deleted the partition which had the OS installed on it wants me to select a partition to boot from when I go to bios and do that this is all it shows me
If you have somehow deleted the partition where Windows resides....you need to do a full reinstall.

Daniel Youssef

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
If you have somehow deleted the partition where Windows resides....you need to do a full reinstall.

I could but it won’t even show me a hard drive to setup the windows on, all it does is tell me “no drivers found “ and there’s literally no partition to select when installing windows

USAFRet

Titan
Ok I can boot from a usb which has windows 10 on it but if I try installing windows it won’t show me hard drives so what next ?
"but if...."

Get to that point, and then we investigate.

Again, you install this OS with only ONE drive physically connected.

Now....how you got from a fully functioning to having to do a whole OS reinstall....:(

You are quite certain that the system does NOT boot up with only the 2TB drive, Disk 0, connected?

Daniel Youssef

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
"but if...."

Get to that point, and then we investigate.

Again, you install this OS with only ONE drive physically connected.

Now....how you got from a fully functioning to having to do a whole OS reinstall....:(

You are quite certain that the system does NOT boot up with only the 2TB drive, Disk 0, connected?
Connected the 2TB hdd and the usb which contains the OS and chose “advanced install” in windows installation and all it says “we couldn’t find any drivers “ and there’s no drivers to choose from
uyeiJae.jpg