Unban Fat Hate On Reddit: An Open Letter From The Fat Community Manager Of Tom's Hardware (Opinion)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HyperMatrix

Distinguished
May 23, 2015

Lol...right...it's genetics...not the fact that the parents also eat unhealthy and the kid grows up in a household where he eats just like his unhealthy fat parents. Why people don't want to take responsibility for themselves I'll never know.

There are a few people with genetic mutations that effect the thyroid, which in turn makes their body store almost everything they intake as fat.
A few, less than 1% of the population.
I on the other hand can not gain fat weight, I inherited it from my father. For the last forty years ( since I was 15) I have been 150-155 pounds with a total body fat of 7-8%.
An average healthy, physically fit male is around 12%, and some marathon runners get down to my level when training.
And believe me I eat very well, with desert almost every night. But I try to limit my intake of processed foods which contain a lot of fake food ingredients that you body automatically converts to fat.
Hydrogenated vegetable oils ( which the FDA just banned and will take effect over the next three years). Corn syrup and High fructose corn syrup, which are artificial sweeteners made from corn, they call it natural ,but there is nothing natural about it after all of the chemical processing.
Artificial sweeteners, Aspartame, Sucralose, Stevia, Neotame and a few more that make you gain weight even though they do not contain many calories per serving. A half a can of diet soda makes your pancreas go into overdrive and most of what you consume during that meal will be converted to fat.

So yes there are a very few people with genetic/medical conditions that make them fat ( one of my best friend was always fat, but after thyroid surgery and medication to help control his thyroid he has been a normal sized person for the last ten years) so you can not JUDGE every one by the same standards as you do not know their medical /genetic condition.
But MOST people are fat from over eating or bad diet choice..

apcgamer

Distinguished
May 13, 2015
As probably the only health professional on this thread, I recommend reading the following two articles: 1) Genomics and Obesity and 2) What causes childhood obesity.

Genomics and Obesity
http://www.cdc.gov/genomics/resources/diseases/obesity/
"Studies of resemblances and differences among family members, twins, and adoptees offer indirect scientific evidence that a sizable portion of the variation in weight among adults is due to genetic factors."

What causes childhood obesity: http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/childhood/problem.html
"There are a variety of environmental factors that determine whether or not the healthy choice is the easy choice for children and their parents. American society has become characterized by environments that promote increased consumption of less healthy food and physical inactivity. It can be difficult for children to make healthy food choices and get enough physical activity when they are exposed to environments in their home, child care center, school, or community that are influenced by...

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Good call Sir!

Freedom of speech has been worryingly erroded over the last few decades.

You don't have to stand by the guy on his soap box, it's a Really Big park/world and everyone has and should have the opportunity to find their own form of peace in it.

Everytime a certain freedom is taken there is an underlying social coil that slowly gets wound more tightly.... until perhaps something busts out.

These places allow some to unwind that tension, leave for the day feeling good about themselves in their own ways. Being most of us might tell dark humour jokes and get a kick from them of some kind or another, we also in the real world would not walk down the street and rub peoples sensitive emotions in it for lols

Amazingly we are on the whole a pretty caring society :)
Even such places as a fat hate reddit teach those more boarderline people where to draw the line and keep it where it sits best appreciated.

These Essential Freedoms helps keep the world a somewhat better place to live on the whole I believe <3

Status
Not open for further replies.