Question Unboot-able pre-built system

Sep 14, 2019
Hello,

My first time posting. Was actually a long time user of VirtualDr, but for some reason, unable to log into that site anymore. That's another story....

Anyways, I was attempting to post in the appropriate forum, be it "Systems" or "Windows 10", but then I saw "Pre-Built" so I figured I'd start there...since this is a pre-built system from a rather well-known company where you can pick parts and they assemble them to have them deliver. Feel free to relocate this post if it does not belong here.

Now the situation:

Here's the situation:

I had received a pre-built system via UPS.

Booted it up for the FIRST time, didn't boot to Windows immediately. I wound up at this lingering screen:

>Checking Media Presence...
>Media Present....
>Start PXE over IPv4.

It sat there for a good while. Then it took me to another screen where it lingered with a "twirling" cursor/slash bar (forgot what it read on the screen). Just hung there forever.

(What's also weird is that the "Gigabyte Ultra" screen will site there for a long time, unresponsive to the "Function" key taps...then it disappears, and then the SAME screen re-appears again, and THEN it's responsive to an F12 or something.)

I thought, "Okay this NOT normal" and turned off the computer and re-booted.

I'll mention It's a Gigabyte Z390 UD MB. Windows 10 OS. 240 Gig SSD & 2 Terabyte SATA III Mechanical drive.

I had to go into the BIOS to find the drive in the boot Menu to boot to (F12). Then it booted into windows 10 via the SSD drive (240 gigs). That is the Primary drive.

I got some software installed (Antivirus, a game, login info into my email, etc). Then the computer would turn off and reboot itself. Again I'd be back in the BIOS screen. WHen I'd boot into windows (via F12)...I'd get the...splash screen (the screen where you sign in) and the mouse would be SUPER sluggish...and, I'd not be able to get to my DESKTOP. I had to turn off the computer as a result.

After repeated boot attempts, I wound up at the "Automatic Repair" screen with restart and "advanced options". I stopped there and...

...called support. They asked me to check the cables as they tend to sometimes come loose in shipping. They were fine. When I opened up the area where the drives were encased...I did noticed they were haphazard. They came loose from their bays...and I couldn't help but wonder if one of the drives were damaged. I told the tech this, but he was thinking that may not be it...and just a corrupt Windows.

Then I told them the above, and they sent me an email to do an install via a USB jump drive to re-install Windows 10 as they thought Windows was corrupt.

I did go through the motions there to re-install windows per their request. Funny thing, when I'd go into the advanced Windows install, it gave me an error message that it wasn't able to install Windows onto the drive. Upon Googling this issue...I saw a consensus of people saying to unplug all drives EXCEPT for the drive you want to install windows.

It WORKED!

AGAIN, I thought I was cooking with Crisco. Got some of my software installed. Windows Updates and such. Then the computer crashes with a BLUE SCREEN with that Frowny Face. (Why did Microsoft put that frowny face is kind of sadistic, wouldn't say?).

It goes through the % numbers until it reboots...and guess, what I was back to the SQUARE 1.

Only THIS time, when I went into F12 (boot screen). The SSD wasn't present at all! It doesn't even show up in the BIOS.

NOW I am thinking something is physically wrong with the drive...???

Will wind up calling the company again and go from there, but before I do I was wondering if someone could shed some light on this?

Thank you.