Unboxing the BioShock 2 Special Edition

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
[citation][nom]lasaldude[/nom]Its $45 USD On Steam And Comes With Bioshock 1 For Freeeeeeee!!!![/citation]
ya, just pre-ordered on steam :) talk about a sweeet deal!!

Dirtman73

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
[citation][nom]SamJack[/nom]There is nothing wrong with wasting paper or plastic you damn hippy. Stfu already. We can grow more trees for the paper, and we can throw away the plastic, plenty of space where to dump garbage. And no, don't give me any bs about not enough trees, we have more trees now than we did 50 years ago. Just because you eat potatoes, there is no potato shortage because they just grew more potatoes. Same with trees grown for paper, we grow more trees as the demand for paper rises... there is no shortage of trees.[/citation]

Can't get much more ignorant than your little statement there, dip. No wonder our world is going down the toilet.

sinman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
[citation][nom]SamJack[/nom]Just because you eat potatoes, there is no potato shortage because they just grew more potatoes. [/citation]

This line by itself had me crying for 15 minutes. Its so ignorantly hilarious. Thanks for the laugh Jack.

surfer1337dude

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare 2 sold over 11 million copies at $60 each. That's $660+ million in revenue. If they were to reduce the cost of MW2 to $10 they would have to have sold 66 million copies of the game to make a comparable amount of money. Not happening. Even at $20 they would have to have sold 33 million copies of the game. Not happening either. At $10 a piece IW would have to sell a copy of MW2 to pretty much every PS3 or 360 owner in the world. You're comparison is illogical. Movie studios, on the other hand, could probably benefit from lowering the price of movie tickets. I saw Avatar and I would go see it again if the tickets weren't so expensive. I'd see a lot of movies twice if the tickets weren't so expensive.[/citation]

Let me start with I agree, but I would like to add it sold $550 million in the first week. Also the reason they cost more is that they take longer to make (quality games CAN...dont always) plus their is a smaller audience (less people own a pc/xbox/ps3 then those who own a tv and dvd/bluray plus you don't need to own anything to go to a movie theater). Also games are a one time sale, while movies start off in the theater then movie to disc. I wish games would cost less...but the cold truth is that they charge that much because then can (same with movies...which I really think should cost less).

[citation][nom]omnimodis78[/nom]Nice to see that 2K Games cares for the environment! It just doesn't make any sense to my why these companies are using big plastic/metal cases for games and movies, especially for "special edition" releases when it's quite evident that it's all garbage and it's not value added to the customer. How about giving us great content and .pdf manuals and forget about wasting all that paper and plastic![/citation]
What comment is arguable. You claim that the extra cost is not worth the extra price, that is your opinion but seem to be speaking for more then yourself. As for the materials used; they made the stuff out of plastic/metal so that your investment will last. In the case of this special edition I say it is very well worth the extra cost. If I had the extra cash (I go to college so all of my money is spent on that) I would buy the special edition of this game (and I don't even like bioshock, I would give the game to my girlfriend and keep the rest since it looks very nice and I am interested in it). Although if you haven't noticed games (especially movies) don't really come with any kind of manual anymore (most games are only a couple pages) compared to past games. Also like a lot of people, I do not like .pdf files and I find them to be annoying. Although I get your point about being more eco friendly, you are complaining about something that the person will be keeping. Its not like (well not suppose to) the player will be throwing this stuff away and it will be wasted. Try making your complaint to the companies that package their products that are roughly 1 inch in size but put it in a plastic package 1 feet big.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
We can assume, this being an EA game like the previous version. That BioShock2 has the same SecuROM DRM crap? Which is why I've never bought any bioshock or Modern warefare game.

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
[citation][nom]Belardo[/nom]We can assume, this being an EA game like the previous version. That BioShock2 has the same SecuROM DRM crap? Which is why I've never bought any bioshock or Modern warefare game.[/citation]
2K already announced that they won't have that secuROM limit anymore.

buckcm

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
[citation][nom]rambo117[/nom]2K already announced that they won't have that secuROM limit anymore.[/citation]

Link? Steam has it on their page as having the 5 computer limit.

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
[citation][nom]Razor512[/nom]If game companies want to sell more games and make more money, lower the price to around what it would cost to buy a movie, you will make less per copy sold but at the end of the day, you would have made more money. would you rather have 5000 people buy your game at $60 or 500000 buy it at around $10-20?[/citation]How do you find out a demand curve for a particular game (before you even start selling it) to maximize profit/revenue? I guess the demand elasticity differs considerably across titles...

HavoCnMe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
I didn't play the first one, so i don't think ill play the second one. With that said, i thought the end of the un-boxing video was pretty hilarious.

lorddude

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Dirtman73[/nom]Can't get much more ignorant than your little statement there, dip. No wonder our world is going down the toilet.[/citation]

Actually, what he said is true, he just decided to word it amazingly badly. If you were referring to his unnecessary insults and language then I would agree with the ignorant part of your statement. People seem to have lost the ability to put out an idea in a civil manner without resorting to being overly rude.

Hilarion

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
[citation][nom]rambo117[/nom]2K already announced that they won't have that secuROM limit anymore.[/citation]
It's not the "limit" that bothers me. It's SecuROM itself which is a BIG deal-breaker. Along with having to become a member of MS Live games. Another BIG deal-breaker there.

G

The special edition looks awesome, however it's not worth the MSRP of $90. If it were only $60-$65 (which is what I normally pay for good collector's editions,) then I would consider it.

Unfortunately, the SecuROM activation and Live account requirement nullify everything else, so I won't be buying it no matter what the price is.

Status
Not open for further replies.