[SOLVED] under 144fps on 144hz monitor

Sharontje

Reputable
May 2, 2020
Ehm so I wanna buy a 144hz monitor, but apparently it takes a bit more looking into it before actually buying one. I've read so many things rn that I got a bit mixed up.

Like I've read things such as "Any frame rates lower or higher than the refresh rate of the monitor CAN cause tearing. "
Let's take rb6 as example: If I get around 80-100 fps would that also cause screen tearing if I'm running on the 144hz monitor?

Also If I would get 200 fps in a game, is it possible to v-sync/cap the fps to 140 and avoid screen tearing by that? Or isn't that necessary?

important detail? : The monitor I wanna buy doesn't have FreeSync or G-sync.

Solution
Yes, any frame rate above or below the refresh rate will have tearing issues. Though whether or not you'll see it depends on where that tearing shows up, or if you even care to notice. A lot of examples that marketing likes to use tend to be exaggerated.

If you can exceed the refresh rate, would recommend using a frame rate limiter first, or if you're using an NVIDIA card, enabling Fast Sync. Using Vsync will cause the frame rate to drop in halves if the performance dips below certain points. In this case, if you're getting 143 FPS, it'll drop down to 72 FPS because the video card has to wait for the next refresh cycle.

Also would recommend finding a FreeSync monitor at least. The feature tends to be slapped on anything these days.
Yes, any frame rate above or below the refresh rate will have tearing issues. Though whether or not you'll see it depends on where that tearing shows up, or if you even care to notice. A lot of examples that marketing likes to use tend to be exaggerated.

If you can exceed the refresh rate, would recommend using a frame rate limiter first, or if you're using an NVIDIA card, enabling Fast Sync. Using Vsync will cause the frame rate to drop in halves if the performance dips below certain points. In this case, if you're getting 143 FPS, it'll drop down to 72 FPS because the video card has to wait for the next refresh cycle.

Also would recommend finding a FreeSync monitor at least. The feature tends to be slapped on anything these days.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Solution

Sharontje

Reputable
May 2, 2020
Ive read that FreeSync isn't compatible with my GPU, since I have a GTX 970. Freesync is only compatible with 10xx and above

Also I'm kinda on a budget, so is G sync really necessary? I don't play alot of heavy games, mainly rb6 and overwatch where I get about 80-130 fps.

Last edited:
I have a 1440p 144Hz monitor and a 1080p 144Hz laptop. I don't use the g-sync on the monitor and the laptop does not have it. As long as I get >100 fps I get a good experience and never notice any tearing. My older setups using 60Hz monitors/laptops had noticeable tearing if I didn't cap the fps at 58-59 and made sure it didn't dip under that. Id say get the 144Hz and if you are getting >100 fps Freesync/G-Sync is not needed but might be nice to have.