[SOLVED] Under-performance after upgrade. In need of some help.

AidenLee

Reputable
Nov 18, 2019
My name is Aiden, I recently upgraded a majority of my computer parts. I upgraded my motherboard from one that supports 4-5th gen processors and ddr3 ram to one that supports 8th and 9th gen processors and ddr4 ram. I upgraded my CPU from an i5 3.2 4750 to an i5 3.7 9600. I upgraded my ram from ddr3 to ddr4 (both were 16gb). My current GPU is an Nvidia GTX GeForce 1060 3GB. I upgraded to a used 1070 8GB.

Now here's what happened. At the start, I felt as if my PC was under-performing immensely. I was pulling worse frames than I was with my old build. I did some research about the problem. I wen't into settings and made sure everything was in performance mode. Updated my drivers as well as installed MSI Afterburner. This did not help, I then replaced my GPU back to my 1060. It was pulling the same frame rate as the 1070. I did more research which led me to reinstall my OS. I did a clean wipe on my PC. The one thing I will say is that my games were never deleted. I made sure to select the option to wipe everything, I came back to a clean PC, but when I installed Steam and the Rock star launcher, all I had to do is click install and then all my games were there. From there I was getting okay frames on the 1070, but in doing research on how the 1070 should perform with my specs, it again was under-performing, and in all honesty it was under-performing quite majorly. Even the 1060 was having some issues with how it used to run games. Out of frustration, and a severe lack of money after the upgrades, I refunded the new 1070. I figured since it was used someone could've overclocked it too much and ruined the card, or something else to hinder its performance. As of right now, I am using my 1060 with all my new upgrades and am still under-performing compared to my old build. I have done everything that I can find to do. If anyone knows how to fix this I would love to hear from you as soon as you can as I've lost quite a bit of money.

Thanks!

Solution
Try running the benchmark at this site, and sharing a link to your results page here...

https://www.userbenchmark.com

That could help indicate whether a particular piece of hardware, like the CPU or GPU, might be underperforming.

If I had to guess, it sounds like your CPU might not be operating at full speed, particularly if an older FX processor system is outperforming it with a similar graphics card. Have you checked CPU temperatures while the system is under load?

AidenLee

Reputable
Nov 18, 2019
PSU?

You mention under performance but not how the system under performs. Some additional clarity may help. And as a preliminary thought, have you verified game cache?

Incidentally, what are you monitoring in Afterburner?
I have a 600W Power Supply, as goes for how I am under performing, i'll use a game as an example. Dead by Daylight, I used to get (On my old build) 60fps with no drops at high settings. Now I get FPS drops to 45, mainly 50, and sometimes even in the 30s.

As goes for Afterburner, i'm not really sure what to look at.

Using Reset This PC with the Keep My Files option will essentially perform a fresh install of Windows 10 while keeping all your data intact. More specifically, when you choose this option from the Recovery Drive, it will find and back up all your data, settings, and apps. It will then install a fresh copy of Windows and restore the data, settings, and the apps that were installed with Windows 10. When your PC restarts, just log in with your same username and password and find all your data.

You don't want to use a holdover Windows 10 installation from a recovery drive when installing a new motherboard and CPU. You can delete all existing partitions at the beginning of the Windows 10 installation. That will leave you with an empty drive for a new installation.

*How to create a bootable UEFI USB drive with Windows 10 Setup
https://winaero.com/blog/how-to-create-a-bootable-uefi-usb-drive-with-windows-10-setup/

The Windows 10 ISO link is broken in the above. You can obtain the ISO file here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

AidenLee

Reputable
Nov 18, 2019
Using Reset This PC with the Keep My Files option will essentially perform a fresh install of Windows 10 while keeping all your data intact. More specifically, when you choose this option from the Recovery Drive, it will find and back up all your data, settings, and apps. It will then install a fresh copy of Windows and restore the data, settings, and the apps that were installed with Windows 10. When your PC restarts, just log in with your same username and password and find all your data.

You don't want to use a holdover Windows 10 installation from a recovery drive when installing a new motherboard and CPU. You can delete all existing partitions at the beginning of the Windows 10 installation. That will leave you with an empty drive for a new installation.

*How to create a bootable UEFI USB drive with Windows 10 Setup
https://winaero.com/blog/how-to-create-a-bootable-uefi-usb-drive-with-windows-10-setup/

The Windows 10 ISO link is broken in the above. You can obtain the ISO file here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
So in doing the keep my files option, this could possibly help with my frame rate issues?

Try running the benchmark at this site, and sharing a link to your results page here...

That could help indicate whether a particular piece of hardware, like the CPU or GPU, might be underperforming.

If I had to guess, it sounds like your CPU might not be operating at full speed, particularly if an older FX processor system is outperforming it with a similar graphics card. Have you checked CPU temperatures while the system is under load?

Solution

AidenLee

Reputable
Nov 18, 2019

Thank you for that, it showed a lot

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/21854359

My ram is really not performing at all as well as my processor

AidenLee

Reputable
Nov 18, 2019
Yeah, you should go into your motherboard's BIOS menu and make sure that the "DDR4-3000" XMP profile is active for that RAM, and see if that helps. Right now, it's at 800MHz, and that's clearly not right.
How do I access the BIOS menu?

Also any suggestions for my processor, it is brand new but the benchmark says it's under-performing quite majorly

Depends on the motherboard. Usually pressing DEL or a function key like F3 can access the BIOS, and on boot there's often a note about what to press to enter BIOS.

As for Userbenchmark.... it's a peer to peer comparison site. It's possible that many others are overclocking their CPUs beyond what you have yours running at.

Common keys to enter the BIOS are F1, F2, F10, Delete, Esc

You have to start trying what people have suggested. You switched your hardware. A clean OS reinstall is recommended. Please look at that XMP profile in the BIOS for your memory.

Give us your temperatures at idle and load for the CPU and GPU.

Last edited:

AidenLee

Reputable
Nov 18, 2019
Common keys to enter the BIOS are F1, F2, F10, Delete, Esc

You have to start trying what people have suggested. You switched your hardware. A clean OS reinstall is recommended. Please look at that XMP profile in the BIOS for your memory.

Give us your temperatures at idle and load for the CPU and GPU.
Okay, before I do all this what should I do first? Reinstall the OS (by using the keep my files option this time??) And then look at the BIOS or the other way around

Okay, before I do all this what should I do first? Reinstall the OS (by using the keep my files option this time??) And then look at the BIOS or the other way around

The BIOS is to switch your memory to their right speed. You should be using the XMP profile 3000MHz. Save and exit. Try the benchmark again.

If that doesn't work you should really reinstall the OS. I have no idea if this is the "keep my files" option. When I reinstall my OS I just wipe the entire drive after copying the files I wanna keep on my other drives. If someone here can help you with that part I'm gonna be happy. If you a second drive it would have been easy. I guess your drive is only 1 partition too? So you can't just format 1 partition and keep your other partition with the files you want to keep.

Before going in the BIOS can I have your RAM brand name etc and what is your motherboard exactly?

AidenLee

Reputable
Nov 18, 2019
The BIOS is to switch your memory to their right speed. You should be using the XMP profile 3000MHz. Save and exit. Try the benchmark again.

If that doesn't work you should really reinstall the OS. I have no idea if this is the "keep my files" option. When I reinstall my OS I just wipe the entire drive after copying the files I wanna keep on my other drives. If someone here can help you with that part I'm gonna be happy. If you a second drive it would have been easy. I guess your drive is only 1 partition too? So you can't just format 1 partition and keep your other partition with the files you want to keep.

Before going in the BIOS can I have your RAM brand name etc and what is your motherboard exactly?
Real quick update, I switched my RAM slots, I got a screen saying that the slots in yellow were not optimized and I needed to switch back to, what was labeled with a green arrow, what my RAM was previously in. My PC started anyways so I didn't think it was that big of a problem. I went into my BIOS and got things switched to the XMP, which was turned off, and I selected an option that was disabled, I think it was called Memory Try Me! That or Memory Try It! After that my PC would give me the blue screen saying I ran into a problem. It seemed that my CPU was overheating, I was up to 60 C just in the BIOS. I have checked the thermal paste which has been applied for only a few days. The CPU cooler seems perfectly fine too, runs well. During these problems, while in the BIOS, I was able to get my RAM to 3000MHz.

At the moment, I have switched back my RAM to the "optimized" slots. My PC has been on for about 15 minutes, hasn't shut off. I haven't ran any benchmarks yet, MSI Afterburner currently says my GPU is 32 C. the GPU clock says 974 MHz, and the Mem Clock says 4006 MHz (which it always has). I am going to run a benchmark. I will reply to this post with the link, unless my PC crashes. My CPU cooler seems to get pretty loud when I run the benchmark. I want to make this post before I run it just in case the CPU temp is still a problem.

My RAM is Corsair Vengeance
My Motherboard is an MSI MPG Z390 Intel Motherboard Gaming Plus

AidenLee

Reputable
Nov 18, 2019
Real quick update, I switched my RAM slots, I got a screen saying that the slots in yellow were not optimized and I needed to switch back to, what was labeled with a green arrow, what my RAM was previously in. My PC started anyways so I didn't think it was that big of a problem. I went into my BIOS and got things switched to the XMP, which was turned off, and I selected an option that was disabled, I think it was called Memory Try Me! That or Memory Try It! After that my PC would give me the blue screen saying I ran into a problem. It seemed that my CPU was overheating, I was up to 60 C just in the BIOS. I have checked the thermal paste which has been applied for only a few days. The CPU cooler seems perfectly fine too, runs well. During these problems, while in the BIOS, I was able to get my RAM to 3000MHz.

At the moment, I have switched back my RAM to the "optimized" slots. My PC has been on for about 15 minutes, hasn't shut off. I haven't ran any benchmarks yet, MSI Afterburner currently says my GPU is 32 C. the GPU clock says 974 MHz, and the Mem Clock says 4006 MHz (which it always has). I am going to run a benchmark. I will reply to this post with the link, unless my PC crashes. My CPU cooler seems to get pretty loud when I run the benchmark. I want to make this post before I run it just in case the CPU temp is still a problem.

My RAM is Corsair Vengeance
My Motherboard is an MSI MPG Z390 Intel Motherboard Gaming Plus
Here's my benchmark
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/21878710

My RAM shot up immensely as well as my Processor.
My CPU fan got pretty loud, i'm assuming that's my likely usual during a benchmark. MSI Afterburner gives me my GPU temp, is there an option to see CPU temp?

Here's my benchmark
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/21878710

My RAM shot up immensely as well as my Processor.
My CPU fan got pretty loud, i'm assuming that's my likely usual during a benchmark. MSI Afterburner gives me my GPU temp, is there an option to see CPU temp?

Well that's good news. That fixed your memory speed problem. They are now working perfectly judging from that benchmark.

As for your CPU temps please install HWINFO64. When you start the program you can check the "Sensor only" and it open a windows with pretty much all the info you need. You can see the CPU temps, voltages and everything. Get a screenshot of the CPU temps at idle and load in a game or something. Your CPU might be fine depending on the Air Cooler you have on it. If it's the stock cooler than that temp and sound is normal. Having an aftermarket cooler is always better of course than the stock one.