Under Powered PSU, Horrible 1080 Frame Rates

ztroast

Prominent
Jan 3, 2018
Hey guys,

So my issue is this:

In my previous build I had an AIO cooled i5-7600k and a EVGA 1070 SC all powered by a CXM 450w PSU. I was getting decent frame rates (usually around 60+fps on The Witcher III) on a 34" 1440p Ultrawide monitor on High-Ultra settings.

I recently upgraded that same rig (system specs below) to an i7-7700k and a Gigabyte 1080 G1 Gaming and am getting horrible frame rates (usually less than 45fps on The Witcher III) on the same settings and monitor.

I am well aware that the recommended PSU wattage for that card is 500w and I plan on upgrading but before I do I want to know if the underpowered PSU could be the reason for the poor performance out of that config. If that's not a possibility, then there must be something wrong with that card because there is absolutely no reason a 7600k/1070 should perform better than a 7700k/1080.

Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance!

SPECS:

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming (8GB)
CPU: i7-7700K
Cooler: Corsair H55 AIO
Memory: 16gb (2x8gb) G.Skill TridentZ RGB (DDR4-3200)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-z270MX Gaming 5
HDD: WD Black 256gb M.2 NVME/ 2x 500gb WD Black 7200rpm drives (RAID 1)
PSU: Corsair CXM 450w (Semi)
Fans: 3x Corsair HD120 RGB fans

Your PSU is perfectly fine for an I7-7700K and a GTX 1080. Also, power supplies do not affect frame rates. The problem lies elsewhere.

Sometimes when people upgrade hardware they get poor performance just because of driver problems and such. Maybe reinstall your drivers for your GPU, make sure Windows recognizes your proper CPU, etc. I bet 100% if you reinstalled your OS your performance would be superb, only thing is most people don't like to reinstall the OS.

ztroast

Prominent
Jan 3, 2018

Thanks for the reply. I'll check drivers again when I'm home but some info on the GPU. In games it immediately shoots up to about 86C+ and 98-100% load while the i7 chills at around 45C. You think there could be something wrong with the card, making it thermal throttle, thus giving me this poor performance?

It's possible I suppose. I'm not really an expert on that stuff, though.

No way should that card be getting that hot.

What case are you using and how many fans etc?

And you are pushing the limits of the PSU also being it's a budget unit etc, really need a good quality 550W PSU. But you will eventually figure that out on your own one way or another.

That's a matter of opinion....

He is using over 80% of what he has now, maybe more depending on OC etc.

On a budget unit.

Like I said he will figure that out on his own eventually one way or another.

Hopefully not the hard way.

ztroast

Prominent
Jan 3, 2018

So here's a little update:

The "fan stop" light was saying that the fans were spinning but after some investigation it seems that they are clearly not. I tried a few different utilities to force them but nothing so the card is clearly defective which is a shame because I had to return it. Got a full refund but all these a**hole miners are eating up the Video Card stock so I cannot, for the life of me, find a replacement card at a decent price. The going rate for a 1070 is about $200 more than an already overpriced 1080 so I'm going to have to wait or find a new hobby...

Thanks again for all your help guys!

Was looking at that the other day, it's crazy, GTX 1080's going for around $1,000 now.