Question Underclocking a Gigabyte 4080 Super ?

Jun 8, 2024
Hello, I recently bought a 4080 Super and I'm happy with my purchase. However, the GPU keeps fairly high temps and thus, often turns the fans on even for a simple YouTube video or a remote desktop work. This is very uncomfortable to me since most of my day passes in work using remote desktops and I only use the GPU (either for work or games) in my free time.

For the reasons described above, I'd like to have an Underclocked (not just undervolt) profile and a "default" one that I can switch between depending on my needs. The issue is that I don't have any Over/Under clocking experience and I can't find anything I can use on the internet.

I tried using MSI Afterburner, where I basically got everything after 825mV and lowered it to 825mv's MHz value (2000 in my case). Also, I used the power/temp limit sliders and got both to the minimum (46% power / 65 degrees). However this is still not enough as I tested it with a simple YouTube video (1080p 60fps) and it still got my fans working and raised my temps.

Since my GPU is Gigabyte, I also tried GCC but it was kind of buggy and I switched to MSI Afterburner.

Can anyone help me achive the results I'm looking for so I have a cool, non-powerfull GPU profile?

P.S: I also thought about using my old GPU, a1080 Ti for this, but it would get extremely tedious constantly switching the cables as I'm using 3 monitors. Also, it would raise my temps and clutter the case.

Jun 8, 2024
Have you tried setting your own fan curve using MSI Afterburner? Hit settings, click on fan tab, now you can set your fan speeds to correlate with certain temperatures. I believe your cards default fans come on at 63 Celsius.
Thank you for answering!

This is something I would like to avoid doing since I would be spending more energy to cool off my GPU that I'm not using for anything resource intensive. It just doesn't make any sense to me. My goal is for my GPU and CPU to stop producing so much heat when they're not under heavy load.

The best I could achieve is ~49-50C when idle or using a remote desktop and ~50-60C on YouTube videos both of which still seem too high for "doing nothing".

I'd like to point out that my 3-monitor setup involves 2x2K + 1x4K monitors which is a lot of pixels to compute. Nevertheless, with my 1080Ti I didn't have such high temps. This is why I thought I could achieve my temp goals with just underclocking.