Question Underclocking is this the right thread?

animematic

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
Okay so bought a new HP Envy TE01-4254 and an RTX 3050 graphics card upgrade but once every couple days the system freezes, usually when I'm watching Youtube videos. I knew the card would push the limits of the 310 watts PSU and unfortunately the PSU isn't standard so I'd have to jump through some hoops to get an upgrade. Before I do that though I was wondering if lowering the voltage might fix the issue. I'm fine with losing some quality

usually when I'm watching Youtube videos.
Do you play games with this and they don't freeze?!
Youtube is the lowest load ever, it shouldn't freeze in youtube because of the power.
On the HP site it says that it has the normal 12700 in it so you could try using the iGPU for youtube, or if it is using that now switch it to the nvidia card.
Typing graphics in the windows bar will get you to the right menu.
If you want to try to lower the power draw then don't undervolt but actually lower the power draw, you can use msi afterburner to limit the GPU and throttlestop or intel XTU to limit the CPU.
Figure2-3-1276x1024.png

animematic

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
Not yet it hasn't the only game I really play is SWTOR (Star Wars the old Republic). I feel it has to be the PSU going over its limit, and yeah I've already made sure all drivers and bios are updated, but I think I had this issue years ago with my first computer and upgrading the PSU fixed it, the only issue this time is HP seems to have really made all its components HP only so getting a higher watt PSU is gonna be a bit of a pain so trying to find alternatives before going down that road

Download and run MSI Afterburner and set a power limit. Also I would see about disabling turbo boost in the power plan, as the CPU in your computer will want 100+ W in short bursts.

Note that MSI Afterburner isn't a permanent thing; it only applies the limits when its running. And disabling turbo boost is an OS level option, so you don't need to muck with BIOS or a tool like XTU.

EDIT: I realized the disabling turbo boost post uses the registry editing path. There's a command line method that usually works. Just open up cmd.exe as and administrator and enter the command: powercfg -attributes sub_processor perfboostmode -attrib_hide

Okay so bought a new HP Envy TE01-4254 and an RTX 3050 graphics card upgrade but once every couple days the system freezes, usually when I'm watching Youtube videos. I knew the card would push the limits of the 310 watts PSU and unfortunately the PSU isn't standard so I'd have to jump through some hoops to get an upgrade. Before I do that though I was wondering if lowering the voltage might fix the issue. I'm fine with losing some quality
Make and model of the rtx 3050 310w should be fine make sure all drivers are up to date make sure pc is In power plan is in performance mode. Not eco. Also check temps as it could be the additional heat.