Question Underperforming PC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 4, 2022
Hi, i have a 4 month old PC which has never really reached his peak and has always underperformed, i have tried everything to make it reach its full potential however i just cant, i have installed the OS on an SSD, and nothing, i have tweaked all the configurations on the Nvidia control panel and reset it all to default just to once again get nothing

I know that my PC is capable of more ever since i have friends with the same specs (even worse specs than mine) however they run games such as GTA V at 144+ FPS with every configuration at mid graphics, while i hardly can reach stable 60 fps on GTA V with my pc

I have a factory-issued 60 hz LG Gaming monitor however i managed to overclock it to 75 hz with CRU. I don't see how it could be interfering with the performance of my PC however its worth a shot to tell ya'll

My Specs are:

CPU: Intel Core I5-11400F

MOBO: Asus Prime H510M-E

RAM:
1x DDR4 HyperX FURY
1x 8GB DDR4 2666MHz Value

Disks:

1x 240GB SSD WDC WDS240G2G0A-00JH30
1x 1TB HDWD110
1x 500GB WDC WD6400BEVT-60A0RT0

GRAPHICS CARD: Nvidia GeForce GTX1650 4GB VRAM

PSU: DeepCool DA500 500 WATTS

Oct 4, 2022
Since this still shows high background usage, have you ran any virus scans lately?
There isnt anything particularly concerning outside of the high idle usage though.

If youd like, check your task manager at idle, sorted by CPU usage.
I have'nt run any virus scans lately, but I don't think a virus is the reason, because my PC has been like this ever since i acquired it, also if I sort by usage in the task manager I get nothing besides normal windows processes.

I'll run a virus scan anyways just in case and post an update.

Oct 4, 2022
That's better.

Next step background stuff running.

Make sure to run UBM with the browser closed.

Make your startup group skinny your showing over 3GB of ram being used.
I did and have always ran UBM without ANY programs, including the browser closed

I have also already disabled all apps on startup

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
He did, what are you pushing for? Don't overrate UBM.

It might even be your antivirus or something like that. Wouldn't worry all too much about that, already showed in another thread it is of little consequence. Should have bookmarked that one.

One thing you could do is run UBM and open taskmanager, see what maybe puts extra load on the cpu if any besides UBM itself.

Oct 4, 2022
He did, what are you pushing for? Don't overrate UBM.

It might even be your antivirus or something like that. Wouldn't worry all too much about that, already showed in another thread it is of little consequence. Should have bookmarked that one.

One thing you could do is run UBM and open taskmanager, see what maybe puts extra load on the cpu if any besides UBM itself.
Ok so I just noticed, while playing GTA V that my GPU usage is abnormally low while playing GTA
View: https://imgur.com/a/ppgLXKZ

As you can see I was playing the game at the time I took the screenshot and I wasn't on an idle state

Oct 4, 2022
You have any form of frame limiting running? Like Vsync or some other ingame setting and look into your monitor settings as well.

Could try to delete the current gpu drivers with DDU and install the latest for your gpu clean.
I was using Vsync at the time, however I later deactivated it and the GPU usage didn't rise

I have already uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers with no effect at all

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2022
What with Vsync off?

Best way to look at gpu usage is using tools like gpu-z or hwinfo or MSI afterburner/rivatuner. I just wante to see if there was anything else very running hard on the cpu so why i asked for Task Manager.
The GPU usage stays the same with Vsync off, I tried

Ill look into it with afterburner but I don't think there will be much change