[SOLVED] Undervolting the 10900K

Oct 14, 2020
Hello everyone,

I have just gotten the 10900k and Aorus Xtreme Z490 a month ago. and it is running at "stock".
MCE OFF
Hyperthreading ON
VCORE AUTO 1.2V <-- did not change anything. The mobo set it.

While temps under load are reasonable (around 68 to 74), i would like to further reduce it without sacrificing on performance. I have googled around for the 10900k stock voltage that Intel specifies the CPU needs but I am unable to find the Min Vcore required. What would be a reasonable Manual fixed Vcore that i can start with before lowering it and running test to ensure stability ? I know some are using it on adaptive too.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you and stay safe!

Solution
But the max vcore that is recorded beside can go as high as 1.39v!

Should i be concerned ? I do not want to degrade the CPU with too high vcore. It seems like the mobo is pushing too high vcore on auto. Tried running fixed 1.25 or 1.26 which limits the max vcore but i get crashes in game so i left it at auto.
Refer to CompuTronix's Intel Temperature Guide. What you're looking for should be in Section 8: Overclocking and Voltage, but I suggest giving the whole guide a read.
We'll need a bit more info. What is your memory and PSU make/model?

Is LLC on? If yes, what's it set at?
Do you have the standard Intel Turbo Boost on?
Do you have XMP on?
(we can start with those)

Also, before touching anything you should capture some stats at stock, when your CPU is at full load. Run HWiNFO64 (sensors only, with logging on) in the background while you run 15+ mins of RealBench stress test and upload the log somewhere we can grab it.
Kudos to you for asking before adjusting!

Oct 14, 2020
We'll need a bit more info. What is your memory and PSU make/model?

Is LLC on? If yes, what's it set at?
Do you have the standard Intel Turbo Boost on?
Do you have XMP on?
(we can start with those)

Also, before touching anything you should capture some stats at stock, when your CPU is at full load. Run HWiNFO64 (sensors only, with logging on) in the background while you run 15+ mins of RealBench stress test and upload the log somewhere we can grab it.
Kudos to you for asking before adjusting!

Hi there!

PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
RAM: Corsair Vengence RGB pro 16gb x 2 @3200mhz (Currently running at XMP)
Intel Turbo Boast Technology: Enabled
Intel Turbo Boast Max Technology 3.0 Enabled
MCE: Disabled
CPU Vcore LLC: Auto

Let me run the stress test and upload the logs in a bit! Log here: https://ufile.io/3j2xeo5s
Prime95v26.6 Small FFT

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I'm curious. You shouldn't need to touch ANYTHING with that cpu.
Comet Lake doesn't run terribly hot - at stock settings - due to the power limits Intel implemented in these cpus.
Plus, the i9 has the exclusive Thermal Velocity Boost that is automatically active below 70C operating temp.

Undervolting may actually be worse here - if everything else is left on auto, I mean. By worse, threads may not boost as high as they currently do.
I feel like undervolting will require more manual intervention.

Don't try to fix something that is not broken.

Not only is 68-74c. reasonable under load, it is very good.

The processor monitors it's temperature and will downclock or shut off if it detects a dangerous temperature.
That is around 100c.

Adaptive voltage is a good thing.
It will lower the multiplier and voltage when the processor has little to do.

Worry about something else.

Oct 14, 2020
Don't try to fix something that is not broken.

Not only is 68-74c. reasonable under load, it is very good.

The processor monitors it's temperature and will downclock or shut off if it detects a dangerous temperature.
That is around 100c.

Adaptive voltage is a good thing.
It will lower the multiplier and voltage when the processor has little to do.

Worry about something else.

Do i just just switch it to adaptive and leave it at 1.2v as set by the bios ? How about the llc ?

The settings nomenclature will differ, depending on the bios.
Tweaking settings can bring in other issues which will require experience and study.
If you want to pursue overclocking to get maximal results, study the methods used on a forum for your motherboard.
The objective in implementing speedstep and adaptive voltage is to reduce voltage and the multiplier when high numbers are not needed.
If leaving voltage and LLC works to that end, leave it be.
If you are a tweaker, study and experiment.
If you are just a user, leave be what works.

Oct 14, 2020
Currently only settings changed in the bios is MCE disabled. Vcore is left untouched (Auto).

I normally run HWinfo just to see if my temps and vcore are fine. I realised that after sometime idling / gaming / working on it, the current vcore indicated in HWinfo ranges from 0.7v to 1.28v depending on what i do. But the max vcore that is recorded beside can go as high as 1.39v!

Should i be concerned ? I do not want to degrade the CPU with too high vcore. It seems like the mobo is pushing too high vcore on auto. Tried running fixed 1.25 or 1.26 which limits the max vcore but i get crashes in game so i left it at auto.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
But the max vcore that is recorded beside can go as high as 1.39v!

Refer to CompuTronix's Intel Temperature Guide. What you're looking for should be in Section 8: Overclocking and Voltage, but I suggest giving the whole guide a read.

Solution