unexpected system shutdowns, Event 41, tried everything

gt4130bmx

Honorable
Jan 1, 2015
This is my personal gaming PC that I have experiencing issues with. Built the system myself. Parts used are as listed:

Sabertooth 990x motherboard first revision
Phenom II x6 1100T @ 3.31
Hyper N520 aftermarket CPU cooler
Corsair 850 watt HX series
8 GB ram (4 GB x 2) G skill sniper
Sapphire R9 290 vapor X GPU
Samsung SSD 850 pro 256 GB primary OS drive
WD caviar black 500GB secondary drive
DVD combo drive light scribe
Windows 7 pro 64 bit SP1

Motherboard, Ram, CPU, WD black HDD were purchased same time end of 2011. SSD is few months old, Graphics card about 8 months old; Corsair power supply is a 1 ½ years old.

The problem I am dealing with is UN expected shutdowns. Doesn’t matter what I am doing. Gaming battlefield 4 or browsing the web etc… could be few minutes or a few hours but at some point the monitor will go black and suddenly my PC is doing a POST Like I just turned it on. I have suffered this experience over 50 times trying to troubleshoot it. Sometimes it will crash and reboot directly after windows loads. Before you get the chance to see the login screen it has already crashed. Sometimes it will loop crash. Crashed and rebooted from login screen exactly 4 times before it became stable to log in. I just watched it load, crash reload, and repeat until I finally could use the system again only to crash maybe 15 minutes later. The crashes are so entirely random and I can’t cause it by doing anything specific. There are times when I can play a game for a few hours and seems ok but then boom out of no were… POST.

Event viewer is showing event ID 41 (unexpected shutdown) I want to say every time this occurs. Once in a while there is an event ID 10. Not sure if this has anything to do with it. There were no big changes that recently occurred I can think of to affect my system. This has been on and off the last 6 weeks or so. I experienced a very similar issue maybe once or twice 6 months ago. Problem disappeared for long time with plenty of use to prove it. I think it was fixed via a CHKDSK run, errors were found and fixed. I do want to point out I now have a new drive and clean OS install with same problem so I doubt windows or HDD are the problem. 1 time specifically while I was watching the Voltages in bios UEFI screen for a few minutes. The computer actually crashed just the same to a new POST… from the bios screen. My mother board does have the LED notifications on it for the Dram, CPU, south bridge, etc. I have noticed sometimes during a crash. And specifically when it loop crashed the 4 repeated times. The CPU LED flashes briefly followed by the Dram LED very quickly will flash 1 time. And start the new post from there.

What I have tried to fix the problem:
Virus, malware, rootkit scans.
CCleaner registry check
OS clean install.
Removed extra peripherals to just keyboard and mouse, also tried different keyboard
Complete removal of all hardware from case and reinstalled.
Pulled CPU examined for bent pins, applied new thermal compound.
I only populate 2 of the 4 dims, tried the extra ram slots.
Used windows memory test application to test memory. Found no problems
Attempted 1 stick of ram and tested. Flipped and tried both sticks 1 at a time
Used a power supply tester to check voltages. 12v was 12.2v 5v was at 5.18.
Also while PC was running I used a multimeter to check molex connectors confirming the same result
Multimetered the 6 pin connectors to GPU at 12.17
Also tried my PC over a heavy gauge extension cord to a different circuit on a known good outlet/circuit free of appliances.
Normally use a monster brand surge protector. Also tried without the power strip
Isolated Hard drives. Tested with 2 different drives 1 SSD and 1 HDD.
Swapped sata cables
Manually set timing for ram and speed setting 1600, also tried 1333. Usually motherboard is on AUTO for these
Pulled CMOS battery and disconnected the PSU for 15 minutes. Doing a clean bios setup and tried DEFULT settings.
Latest GPU driver settings but also tried an older driver
Motherboard has been on latest bios for at least 2 years.
Monitored all temps through ASUS suite program, and AMD catalyst for GPU temps.
Idle temps are well in the clear for GPU, CPU, motherboard, and Drives. Max CPU temp I have been able to reach was 51C. GPU topped out at 78C and of course I can crash at a simple idle so I know this can’t be a heat issue.

I feel I carefully examined and tested this system to the fullest but can’t point a single finger to any possible bad component. Any help is greatly appreciated I of course want to get this fixed ASAP while most my components are still under warranty. Thank you in advance

i am also new to toms hardware so i hope i posted this correctly. if not please excuse my error

-Chris B

gt4130bmx

Honorable
Jan 1, 2015

thank you for your quick response
unfortunately i dont have a spare PSU to swap otherwise i definitely would have tried that. but this is why i did some tests with a multimeter and psu tester

do you think the PSU could still be the cause of random reboot despite i can confirm the voltages are in the clear even when the system is powered up? not to mention the issue can occur during system idle...

any other tests i can do with the PSU to check its reliability besides putting it in a new system?

gt4130bmx

Honorable
Jan 1, 2015

yes my power supply is still well within warranty, corsair hx series have a 7 year limited warranty. i have only had this psu for roughly 14 months

gt4130bmx

Honorable
Jan 1, 2015
ok i wanted to update my testing and newly achieved problem/solution... maybe? i dont have another PSU to swap with but i do have on hand an EVGA GTX 660. i have swapped video cards from my new sapphire r9 290 vapor OC card. and so far i have ran stable for 3 hours... and going as i type this post.

i keep hearing the power supply could be the problem and perhaps there is some truth there as i know the r9 290 is drawing more power with its 2 8 pin power connectors vs the gtx 660 with its single 6 pin.

further research i have done on my sapphire r9 290, looking back at newegg purchase history i discovered my card is no longer sold and although the card averaged 4 out of 5 eggs average. the poor reviews, many talked about a black screen issue. not sure if this is the same problem as i have.

my problem black screens to an immediate POST and boot up. the way others have worded this black screen sounds like some say the sound is still heard but no picture and they have to hard power down. this sounds slightly different then my issue.

i have only owned this card since april 2014, and the warranty period is saposed to be 3 years. i could attempt an RMA but before i do this i think i am going to wait for more feedback and do more testing and research. i have heard some not so good reviews on RMAs and support for sapphire. 4 week wait periods and strict policies.

UPDATE: well now, i was able to run my computer for probably a good 5 hour chunk. played a 2 hour movie. idled for approx an hour. then played the next car game wreck fest for about another 2 hours when it finally "black screened" to POST and reboot. DARN! thought i had the solution.

so i think i am back to the accusing either the power supply or the system board...

any suggestions guys?
greatly appreciated

gt4130bmx

Honorable
Jan 1, 2015

i removed my power supply and installed my potentially bad PSU into my brothers gaming computer this past weekend. unfortunately he has gone 2 days with several hours of usage and no problems.

i believe the power supply has been ruled out.
currently his computer games with an HD 6850 graphics card.

my next move i am going to make is to install my graphics card (R9 290) in his computer and test this.

so far i have ruled out: Ram, Hard drives and clean OS install. power supply should be good as well.

sadly im down the the Graphics card, Motherboard and CPU.... ouch.

again any theory's or fixes i have over looked please let me know.

gt4130bmx

Honorable
Jan 1, 2015

brother was able to game with my Power supply and my GPU now for 3 hours so far.. going to give him another day. but he seems to be stable. motherboard must be it

gt4130bmx

Honorable
Jan 1, 2015
i upgraded to a new case, upon rebuild and BIOS reset (just cause). i left bios settings on factory defaults. running my system i happen to notice some interesting signs using the program speccy by piriform.

My G skill 2 sticks or ram. should be 1600 MHz 9-9-9-24. the frequency is runing 800 ish witch is fine however the current timing marks are listed :Size 8192 MBytes
Channels # Dual
DRAM Frequency 802.7 MHz
CAS# Latency (CL) 11 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) 11 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 11 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS) 28 clocks
Bank Cycle Time (tRC) 39 clocks

is this right? personally i think my motherboard is not seeing this memory correctly. but i do want to add that when me and my brother swapped memory. he was able to use my ram fine and i still crashed with his. i know the memory is fine. but is my motherboard being stupid?