[SOLVED] Unexplainable ping spikes and packet loss.

Jun 30, 2022
Before I am really sorry for my english, I tried to seek help on forums in my language but no one helped me.

Recently I changed my ISP, they installed optical fibre to my new router which is Giga Connect Box. Connection worked fine for first few days or I just didn't really encounter ping spikes like I do now.

So after some time when I was playing my favourite online game I started lagging at random times. I checked my connection using the "ping" command in cmd and it seems I lose a lot of packets when pinging both my router and a random site like google.com. I checked it using 2.4ghz and 5ghz connection and result is still the same.

However, when I did the same on another device everything was fine. I also pinged directly from my router to google.com and it worked fine too, so the issue is between my laptop and router. I updated every possible driver, reinstalled entire system, did everything like on this site. I also ran a lot of scans with windows defender and malwarebytes.

Nothing seems to be working, I'm slowly losing my mind. I will attach pingplotter screenshot that shows the spikes.
I thank everyone for their input.
tseeCQj.png

Edit: My network adapter is Realtek 8821AE Wireless LAN 802.11ac PCI-E NIC

Solution
This is extremely common on wifi. It is likely one of your neighbors using wifi on the same radio channels as you. The solution that was recommended just a couple years ago was to try to change the radio channel. Problem is your neighbors are all likely using every radio channel available for their equipment. Now that everyone is putting the silly mesh systems and buy tri band routers it uses up all the bandwidth. For example on the 2.4g radio band there is only a total of 60mhz of bandwidth. 2.4g can be set to 20 or 40mhz radio bans. So if everyone uses 20mhz you can get 3. This is where you see the recommendation of setting the channel to 1,6,11. Problem is if you use 40mhz you can't fit 2 into 60mhz.

The...
This is extremely common on wifi. It is likely one of your neighbors using wifi on the same radio channels as you. The solution that was recommended just a couple years ago was to try to change the radio channel. Problem is your neighbors are all likely using every radio channel available for their equipment. Now that everyone is putting the silly mesh systems and buy tri band routers it uses up all the bandwidth. For example on the 2.4g radio band there is only a total of 60mhz of bandwidth. 2.4g can be set to 20 or 40mhz radio bans. So if everyone uses 20mhz you can get 3. This is where you see the recommendation of setting the channel to 1,6,11. Problem is if you use 40mhz you can't fit 2 into 60mhz.

The 5g radio band has similar issues with it common to use 80mhz bands or even attempting to use 160mhz for wifi6. In general there is only room for 2 different users using 80mhz and if someone has a tri-band router they are using both.

There really is no solution to this and one of the big reasons you should never play online games on wifi. Every other application can tolerate the ping spikes unless they get very excessive.

Your best option is to try to not use wifi. Ethernet is always best if there is anyway. Next would be MoCA if you have coax cable in both rooms and then you can consider powerline networks.

You could also see what happens if you set your router to 20mhz and then keep changing the channel. Maybe you get less overlap if you are lucky. Problem is it might come and go depending on which neighbor is using their wifi. The 20mhz setting will greatly reduce your bandwidth which is fine for games but it also affects all other users and applications. This is why everyone sets it to 80mhz to get the maximum speed.

Solution
Jun 30, 2022
Thank you for your help, I will try to play around with channels in my routers settings. I will mark your answer as best of course but perhaps you could tell me why the problem does not occur on another laptop? Results of the ping test there are much better than on my PC (When I was writing that I thought maybe it was just coincidence that ping spikes stopped so I will provide more data tomorrow). Again, thank you so much.

Wifi is very strange. It take almost nothing to block the signals. Your microwave oven uses the same 2.4g radio frequency at 1000 times the power of the router and the allowed signal that is allowed to leak out is only a tiny fraction of what your router is allowed to transmit. You can still see though the front glass door but no signal can get though.

Tiny difference in the how the device is manufacture and how the antenna placements and even how you hold the device can make a difference.

It would be nice if we could see wifi signals in the air but it seems to be all trial and error and a lot of luck sometimes to get things working.

I guess it could be the very rare wifi card failure or maybe the device is using lower power to save on battery. New wifi cards are not real expensive just depends how hard it is to take apart the laptop to change it. I would not do that if it either was very easy or the card you have is a older model and you wanted one that supports the newer wifi tech.

Still if you are going to spend money I would invest in moca instead or powerline networks.