gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
Hi all, i have a corsair 115 gb ssd with win7 installed. I want to remove it temporarily and reinstall my WD HDD that it replaced. Are there any special procedures I need to follow? I don't want to damage either drive.

Thanks

Solution
You should be able to just swap drives, as long as both have a copy of Win 7 (yes). The only thing you might have to do is switch the controller back to IDE mode in the BIOS, if the hard drive was originally setup that way over AHCI.

tecmo34

Administrator
Are you sending the drive back for an RMA or why you taking out the SSD?

To remove the drive... disconnect the power supply from the PC & wall than disconnect all internal connectors and remove the drive. Install the hard drive, reconnect everything than reinstall windows onto the hard drive.

If sending the SSD back, I would recommend connecting as a secondary drive and performing a secure erase to clean the drive.

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010

Thanks Techmo. I'm actually not returning the SSD, I just want to check my original WD HDD Win7 install and back up my pic, etc. files to a external drive. I will then reformat the HDD for a storage drive. I'm just a little concerned about damaging the SSD. If there are any possible issues in doing so I won't. I think i should be able to do this right?

tecmo34

Administrator
You should be able to just swap drives, as long as both have a copy of Win 7 (yes). The only thing you might have to do is switch the controller back to IDE mode in the BIOS, if the hard drive was originally setup that way over AHCI.

Solution

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010

Thanks for all your help tecmo. The support I'm getting from you and others has been fantastic. Have a great summer.