[SOLVED] Uninstalling AMD drivers and upgrading to Nvidia gpu without display

Apr 13, 2020
So I have a Ryzen 5 2600 cpu that does not have integrated graphics. Recently my graphics card (Radeon rx 580) just stopped outputting video and Im trying to get it warranted during this pandemic (will probably take a while). I am going to upgrade to a GeForce GTX 1080. I am wondering how I will have to uninstall the AMD rx 580 drivers before installing my new Nvidia card. Do I have to uninstall? Will the new card allow me to see some display in order to uninstall the old drivers? Do I need to wait until my rx 580 is fixed so I can put it back in and then uninstall the drivers? Any input would be appreciated as I have never changed out graphics cards. The Sapphire Pulse Radeon rx 580 was not even a year old when it stopped working.

Solution
You need some sort of graphics adapter or you can't do anything.
One reason I like the intel processors which usually come with graphics.

Any graphics card has a default low res mode that lets you boot without any display driver at all.
That is why you can see the bios when there is no windows involved at all.

A purist would tell you to boot into safe mode and use some sort of a driver clean up utility to get rid of all traces of a previous card.
I think this is not truly necessary since windows today has no problem with multiple different graphics adapters.

If you get a chance you can uninstall all of the amd graphics apps/drivers if you want; I probably would do that.
There should be no need for safe mode.
You need some sort of graphics adapter or you can't do anything.
One reason I like the intel processors which usually come with graphics.

Any graphics card has a default low res mode that lets you boot without any display driver at all.
That is why you can see the bios when there is no windows involved at all.

A purist would tell you to boot into safe mode and use some sort of a driver clean up utility to get rid of all traces of a previous card.
I think this is not truly necessary since windows today has no problem with multiple different graphics adapters.

If you get a chance you can uninstall all of the amd graphics apps/drivers if you want; I probably would do that.
There should be no need for safe mode.

Solution