Question Unique issue with Gigabyte 970a-UD3P ?

gooru11

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
I have a gigabyte 970a-UD3P mb and a fx-8320 CPU that I cant get to bring up bios screen. Here is what is strange to me, I get the splash screen and it allows me to hit my menu choice keys like DEL F8 F9 ect. but after I make my selection like DEL to enter setup, that loads a black screen, a mouse curser and a keyboard curser all of which are not accessible per the device. I know the system is not frozen because I can hit alt ctl delete and it resets. If I select system information or F9 the little popup appears then system freezes. What would cause my bios setup screen to not open?

My system is:

gigabyte 970a-UD3P
fx-8320 CPU
gv-n75toc-2 gig video card
kingston 250 ssd
wd 2 gig hdd
corsair vengance ram 16 gig

Just to save a step I already disconnected all extra drives went all the way down to a single stick of ram which i swapped them around to make sure. I reset the cmos a few times. I would update the bios but if I cant select a boot device not sure how that would work . Any incite would be appreciated thanks.
Gooru11

Lutfij

Titan
With just one stick of ram, which slot did you populate on the motherboard? You might want to disconnect from the wall and display, remove the CMOS battery and then press and hold down the power button(if the innards are yet inside the case) for 30 seconds to drain any residual power off the motherboard. Replace the CMOS battery after the 30 min mark, see if that helps. Also, you might want to see if you can reflash the BIOS using a BISO programmer or perhaps a repair shop who can reflash the BIOS chips for you.

You forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU and it's age. Got a link to the ram kit used in your build listed above?