Unity 4 Game Engine Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
[citation][nom]skittle[/nom]wtf toms, no mention of linux support?http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?p [...] px=MTEyMTk[/citation]
It's included in the quote. But I agree...

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]aqualipt[/nom]Excuse my ignorance but will this engine match Crytek Engine 3 or Unreal Engine 4?[/citation]

Not really. Great for indie or small budget games but its the best for what you can buy for. Nice for tablet and mobile games.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]kcorp2003[/nom]Not really. Great for indie or small budget games but its the best for what you can buy for. Nice for tablet and mobile games.[/citation]
considering it was either unreal 1 or 2 cost 750,000$ this is a bargain for what you can do with it.

ET3D

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2012
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]considering it was either unreal 1 or 2 cost 750,000$ this is a bargain for what you can do with it.[/citation]

Unity is still a great deal if you're satisfied with its features, but the big engines (Unreal, CryEngine) are basically free these days for small projects, so there's not much of a barrier of entry.

jevon

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004
Yep, excellent engine for indie devs. Another great example: http://www.sauropodstudio.com/ they're making a castle building RTS that's looking highly addictive :)

thelolinator

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
[citation][nom]ET3D[/nom]Unity is still a great deal if you're satisfied with its features, but the big engines (Unreal, CryEngine) are basically free these days for small projects, so there's not much of a barrier of entry.[/citation]

Apart from the fact that the license for UDK3 is that when you earn over $50,000, Unreal will take 25% from anything earned after that.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]thelolinator[/nom]Apart from the fact that the license for UDK3 is that when you earn over $50,000, Unreal will take 25% from anything earned after that.[/citation]

less up front burden but a far higher price to pay than what i quoted if your game takes off.

booyaah

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]less up front burden but a far higher price to pay than what i quoted if your game takes off.[/citation]

I would just buy me a 'company' car and categorize it as a business expense :)

Plus Apple already takes 30% from developers at their app store.

alxianthelast

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
[citation][nom]aqualipt[/nom]Excuse my ignorance but will this engine match Crytek Engine 3 or Unreal Engine 4?[/citation]

As others have said.. no. it is comparing VW to bicycle.

While the big engines can support small platforms, they would be approaching the market from top PC and console games down to mobile.. while Unity is almost better know for its webplayer and mobile support but can do full PC and console games too.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Booyaah[/nom]I would just buy me a 'company' car and categorize it as a business expense Plus Apple already takes 30% from developers at their app store.[/citation]
meh, that's normal though, for any product that falls through the distribution chain, unless its an ungodly expensive thing, like a car, its safe to say a good 30-40% is missing due to other costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.