[SOLVED] Unknown devices connected to router

Status
Not open for further replies.

BallisticFPZ

Reputable
Jun 1, 2020
Hi,
recently while looking at the devices connected to my wifi, I've noticed there are 2 devices listed that I do not know of, one has the name TEMPADM-07IIS7G (this one is identified as a "Generic device") and the other called ESP_D2EBAE (this one is identified as a Mobile device).
I know this mightn't be the best place to ask but I was hoping someone may have an idea of what they might be.
When I use Sky hub to view what devices are connected I do not see the TEMPADM one there, but I do see the ESP. But when using an external app I can see both of these devices.
Appreciate any help I can get.

Solution
hmm...
at the moment I'm afraid of someone being on my network without my permission, like what kind of data would they have access to? I would just disconnect them but what if they have been stealing data then I'd want to know who this person is. Might sound far-fetched but this is quite new to me.
If you have security concerns, then change all the WIFI passwords. Change the admin password on the router. Disable uPnP on the router.
If you have kids, that is the biggest security risk you have. Do you have a guest network? Do you regularly change the guest password -- like monthly? Kids give their friends WIFI passwords. Best if the kids only know the guest network password. If they want a new device on the...

BallisticFPZ

Reputable
Jun 1, 2020
Have any extenders, access points, printers, scanners, tablets, etc that you may have forgotten about?
Turned off everything I could think of once while checking, tablets, all phones, printer and all the laptops/computers in the house. Even the smart lights we have, but no luck. Don't have any extenders or anything like that afaik.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi,
recently while looking at the devices connected to my wifi, I've noticed there are 2 devices listed that I do not know of, one has the name TEMPADM-07IIS7G (this one is identified as a "Generic device") and the other called ESP_D2EBAE (this one is identified as a Mobile device).
I know this mightn't be the best place to ask but I was hoping someone may have an idea of what they might be.
When I use Sky hub to view what devices are connected I do not see the TEMPADM one there, but I do see the ESP. But when using an external app I can see both of these devices.
Appreciate any help I can get.
Devices which attempt and fail to connect to WIFI can show up in some device lists. Do these devices have an IP address or just a MAC address?
An app like FING on your phone can help identify false positives.

BallisticFPZ

Reputable
Jun 1, 2020
Devices which attempt and fail to connect to WIFI can show up in some device lists. Do these devices have an IP address or just a MAC address?
An app like FING on your phone can help identify false positives.
This specific device is showing a MAC address at the moment, I've looked that address up already, comes back to "Chongqing Fugui Electronics Co.,Ltd. "

The other ESP device has been discovered, it's one of my smart lights.

Ralston18

Titan

BallisticFPZ

Reputable
Jun 1, 2020
TEMPADM - Temporary Admin perhaps? Default name for some device....

Maybe a neighbor's device....

Chongqing Fugui Electronics Co.,Ltd. - googled that.

They seem to have a notable presence with respect to many devices.

And I found a number of links with issues etc. similar to this thread.

For example:

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/9vy0pml3

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeNetworking/comments/fqudf6/chongqing_fugui_electronics_joined_my_eero_network/
hmm...
at the moment I'm afraid of someone being on my network without my permission, like what kind of data would they have access to? I would just disconnect them but what if they have been stealing data then I'd want to know who this person is. Might sound far-fetched but this is quite new to me.

kanewolf

Titan
hmm...
If you have security concerns, then change all the WIFI passwords. Change the admin password on the router. Disable uPnP on the router.
If you have kids, that is the biggest security risk you have. Do you have a guest network? Do you regularly change the guest password -- like monthly? Kids give their friends WIFI passwords. Best if the kids only know the guest network password. If they want a new device on the network, they bring it to you to enter the password for the regular network.

Solution
Also make sure WPS is disabled. Once someone gets the WPS code (which can not be changed) it will give them the new wifi passwords even extremely complex ones. You want this feature off and only turn it on for extremely short times when you connect devices that have no other way to connect....ie things like stupid/smart lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.