UNKNOWN PROBLEM!!! pls HELP!!

Vincentkhm

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
After running 3D Mark 2000, computer hangs. I reset the computer. After self-test, the computer suddenly turns off. When I switch back the computer, nothing display and cannot begin self-test. I've built this computer /w following hardware in Tuesday: (I have not O/C)
Abit KT7A
AMD TB 850
Buffulo PC-133 128 MB RAM
Inno3D GeForce 2 MX
FOP 32 Fan Heat Sink
PowerMax 300W ATX Power
And my CPU's temperature is 39'C, is it OK?

Tormented

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I asume, you have problem with the Video card or memory
i suggest you test them boath, see if the video card has the newest drivers, check for IRQ conflicts, replace the DIMMS with new ones, Flash the BIOS if you havn't done that alreay, 39c is OK, (athlons work good till 55 c after that ..)

<b>-----------------------</b>
-<font color=red><b>R.K.</b></font color=red>

Tormented

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
ok, remove the every othe cards you have and live only the Video cards,reaload the default bios settings. and then try
if it works good if not check the card or memory.

<b>-----------------------</b>
-<font color=red><b>R.K.</b></font color=red>

G

If you can manage to get the thing up and into Windows, you will need to install the latest VIA drivers. My KT7A-Raid came with version 4.26, which is not even on VIA website yet. I imagine the newer verion is needed for the new chipset. As for it not running a self test now, remove all cards in the computer, and re-insert only the AGP Video card, being careful to assure it is aligned well with the AGP slot. Also, remove your memory and re-seat it. Sometimes I have found that this helps, but the video card seems to help more often. If you still have problems, remove all Floppy and IDE cable from the board to see if will POST with only the Video Card, no drives to interfere. If this still fails, you must have changed something in the BIOS that is causing a hang-up, you need to reset the CMOS by moving the jumper to reset and back to normal, then power on the system. Let us know!!

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
This is virtually impossible. AMD has no incompatabilities and since heat is no longer an issue it must be gravity or wind direction that is causing you the problems.

Try facing your computer due east and place a small block of cheese under the two front corners.

If this doesnt work, get a live chicken for sacrafice.

DSutcliffe

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Your post made me laugh but it does not help the guy get his computer working. His problems have nothing to do with the platform he chose as I have had problems such as these on an Intel platform.

Could be a faulty MB which is possible. It could be a faulty chip but not likely. Most likely a peripheral device is causing the problem and there have been a few suggestions about starting from scratch with just video and adding on from there. This is good advice.

T-Bird 800Mhz
2X IBM 75GXP 30GB in RAID0 config
Geforce2 32MB
SB Live

G

i have always found that if i burn a PIII in front of it
my duron laughs and will run at 5 gigahertz for a week!!
it's true. i would never lie like that.

who is more foolish...
the fool, or the fool that takes his advice?

G

if you aren't getting beep codes when you turn your computer on i will bet that your bios is gone.

who is more foolish...
the fool, or the fool that takes his advice?

G

I don't know whats your problem, I think you should state your question clearly with detail.

My friend bought a new GF2MX and it's not working at all, took forever to find out, hope you're not as bad as his.

Fugger, come on give this guy a break, and by the way, it was very funny, reminds me of many good old times with friends and family.

Best regards
cx5

PLMf30

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I had originaly bought an Abit KA7 for my slot - A Athlon 850...the system was trouble from the start. Turns out there was a short in the board that was causing intermittent problems. I know it'll cost ya, but in all honesty, I'd take it to an intown shop with a pci ID card that'll read the codes your getting, I'm willing to bet it's the mobo. I replaced it with a Asus A7v and tbird 900 and haven't had a problem since. good luck.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I'm willing to bet it's the motherboard just because it's a VIA chipset.

I've seen repeatedly where for some unknown reason AGP cards just won't work with VIA chipsets. Put a PCI card in and it's fine. But of course, no one wants a PCI video card these days...

But it also could be the memory. Or that you zapped something and just haven't realised it yet. That always sucks.

But if it's this problamatic, I would agree that taking it to a pro is a good idea because they always have nifty diagnostic tools and they've been dealing with stuff like that all the time. But it'll cost you. But then it's worth it if it keeps the computer from being a doorstop or paperweight. :)

- Sanity is purely based on point-of-view.