[SOLVED] unmodded Kerbal Space Program (KSP) 1.9.0 keeps crashing

Jyesta

Commendable
May 11, 2017
so... I think the title is pretty self explanatory.

here is the event details:
I open the game, start making a spacecraft like a normal person, and things just crashed.
I tried it countless times (probably around 30 times now).
after that many times I noticed a pattern that it will crash no matter what I tried.
hell, the game even crashed when I left it on the main menu.
it always crashed around 2 - 5 minutes after the game runs.
no error log is created during all of the crash so I can't provide you with that file.

these are the things I did during 30+ error encounters:
  • decreasing it's graphic settings from default to potato
  • turning on and off AMD compatibility mode in the launcher (which I only know it recently)
  • force open it with OpenGL
  • running in compatibility mode
  • reinstall it 9 times
  • checking any system errors (RAM, Hardisk, etc) with no result
  • changing the RAM (because I can)
  • increasing it's task priority in task manager
  • beat up my neighbor's kid
  • sacrificed my cat to demon
  • install it in system disk (SSD)
so pretty much anything I know doesn't works

PC spec:
  • AMD fx-8350
  • Radeon RX 460
  • 2x4gb RAM
please help
let me know if you need extra info

UPDATE
after few comment below and some internet search, I found that it's more likely related to the Unity engine on the game since all of my Unity based games end up doing the exact same thing.

one more thing, the error start happening when I upgrade my windows 10 to the very recent update. I hope this info will help, I really don't know what to do.

Last edited:
Solution
this is embarrassing, first of all, thank you for anyone who read this far.

long story short, I fixed the error.
it turns out I have an outdated directX installed. and once I updated it everything runs just fine.

Jyesta

Commendable
May 11, 2017
Memory part number and/or link to it?
Motherboard model number?
Power supply?
as far as I know there is no problem with those things (motherboard, power supply, and RAM)
beside, I don't really remember the motherboard series. i power it up with 450 wattenlight power supply.

now that you mentioned it I have to confess that I do have a problem with my motherboard. it's one of the cheapest am3+ in the market. and it does has it's own problem which is randomly triggering asus power surge failsafe or something, and I'm well aware of that.

I got this motherboard for emergency reason and I can't really change it for the next 5 months, so i resolve the issue by limiting the processor's power consumption and it works well in the last 7 months. i even play some heavy games like ARMA 3, the witcher 3, assassins creed oddesy and subnautica and everything went well. until I play Kerbal space program and this is the only game that managed to crash

Jyesta

Commendable
May 11, 2017
look for the word error

nah, nothing that looks interesting enough. i only found 2 "error" words in that file and both of them looks like this
"[LOG 23:25:32.572] [Untitled Space Craft]: ground contact! - error. Moving Vessel down -2.427m"
I doubt it has something to do with the game crash. but if it is, enlighten me please.

I noticed something else after I opened it recently.
While the error is happening, the hrdisk activity went all the way to 100%
idk if that a helpful information though

Jyesta

Commendable
May 11, 2017
That’s a windows configuration symptom

that doesn't really help but I'll check on that.
another thing, this is just a guess though. i tried to play other games while waiting for answers but then I noticed a different pattern. every single Unity based video games is also crashed, and the "unity crash handler" is popping out in every single one of them, including the KSP.

so here is an additional information, I recently upgrade my win10 and I think that's when the errors start happening.

I've already check other forums and it seems that this might be my issue here.
I didn't find any solution tho. so I'm open to suggestions

Jyesta

Commendable
May 11, 2017
this is embarrassing, first of all, thank you for anyone who read this far.

long story short, I fixed the error.
it turns out I have an outdated directX installed. and once I updated it everything runs just fine.

Solution