Unparking i7 870

Ruan_1

Reputable
Sep 10, 2015
Ok so recently I decided to try the whole unparking cores thing and this is what I got so far. I opened up my resource monitor and saw this
lZFzlOI.png

then I went and downloaded the CPU unpark app and checked status and it showed me 2 values both were parked.I then clicked on unpark all and did a restart. PC booted up I waiting 5 a few minutes then opened up resource monitor and saw this
r9XsEjb.png

So it didn't work, I also did the regedit changed the maxvalue to 0 myself and restarted after that and still nothing changed.

Anyone know why this is happening?
Thank you

Chayan4400

Honorable
Please understand that there *are* downsides to forcefully unparking your CPU and that it does not improve the over all performance of your computer.

For starters the entire reason multi-core CPUs have developed the ability to park cores when they aren't needed is to reduce power consumption and heat production. Forcefully unparking your cores all the time will make your CPU use more energy and have a higher idle-temperature. Because of the latter it could potentially shorten the life of your CPU... though by how much is unknown.

Additionally the supposed benefit of improved performance is highly misleading. If your computer and the software on it are working correctly your CPU cores will unpark on their own whenever there is a demand for more processing power. Unparking your CPU cores forcefully will not make your CPU perform better than it would if it unparked on it's own.

The reason unparking utilities exist is in the rare cases when a program requiring high CPU performance none-the-less behaves in a manner that keeps the CPU from unparking on it's own. Then it becomes necessary to forcefully unpark your cores to make the full processing capability of your CPU available. Some older games (predating multi-core CPUs) have this problem while newer games, as a rule, do not.

Ruan_1

Reputable
Sep 10, 2015

Thank you for the info I really appreciate you answering my question and I understand what you are saying.. but heat is not a problem since I have more than enough cooling for my CPU also it is a pretty old one. and with all the games coming out these days not optimized or hardware intensive i'd just like to try it.