G

The CPU fan that I have has become REALLY noisy lately, I am thinking about unplugging it. Is that okay? I have an acient AMD K-2 300MHz machine.

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
Lets think about that. Neither me or you are experts when it comes to K6-2 300MHz's running temperatures. Chances are that you bought it from an OEM such as HP or Compaq. OEMs tend to be as cheap as possible, while using the cheapest parts including heatsinks and fans, and they leave out anything unneccisary. Therefore, if it came with a f/h, I would leave it alone. If it really bother you, you can always buy sound proof foam and line your case with it...

- "That's no moon, it's Rambus!"

G

It should be ok, as long as you have a rather good heatsink on it. if you can, check on the temp of the chip before and after. as long as you are running in the 40's you should be fine. (that's Celsius by the way :)

Those who do not know, speak. Those who are silent, know.

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
My PII350 only has a HS so I don't think yours needs a fan, but the PII and K6 are different so it may run hot.

Someday I will stop asking all the questions!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
All K6-2's run hot and you would be making a huge mistake not to have some sort of fan blowing on it. If your lucky it might run 10 minutes with the cover closed. If your unlucky instead of locking it will fry.

Suicide is painless...........

G

These tend to get hot even with the heatsink + fan.

If you remove the fan... it may not run hot again, it may NEVER RUN

So go to a computer shop and spend some money on a new fan, it won't be to expensive, at least it will be cheaper than a new K6-2 + heatsink + fan.

SEARCH FIRST, THEN POST

lrmv

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Why not go to a local computer store and get a new heatsink/fan? Then simply swap fans and everything is fine again!

<i><font color=purple>Running within specs is the key to a stable computer!</font color=purple></i>

G

in my expereience fans start getting noisy as they get dirty and start slowing down. then it will stop completely. i was wondering why my computer was running so darned quietly, then when i started to smell burning rubber saw that the fan on my power supply had stopped. i recommend you put out a couple of bucks and get a new fan.