Unplugged the RAM and the GPU died? What?

Hugo_4

Reputable
Feb 2, 2016
Hey guys, basically i unpluged one slot of RAM because my PC was crashing a lot, failing, bluescreening, and when i tried to do a mem test, it shutsdown.

The problem is that when i unplugged the ram the gpu stoped working, i mean, the monitor says "No Signal" and goes into sleep mode but the fans in the gpu keeps working just fine.

If i plug the cable into the onboard it works just fine. Can anyone help me? Pls

The pc specs are:

GTX 970 , H97 Plus , HyperX Black 8GB (2x4), XFX 750W , i5 4690

Solution

You should take the GPU out, and test your PC without it.

Even if it isn't sending a video signal, if it's faulty it can cause problems for your PC. The memory test could fail, if the video card were cashing some data in the RAM.

And yes, you should take your PC to a repair shop. They have tools and practice on repairing PCs. They will charge your for a fee, but you would have to pay anyway, to get new part if either of your GPU ar MoBo died.

gyuuula

Honorable
May 7, 2017
Your PC will not boot, if you don't have at least 1 RAM module in your motherboard.
If it has, then it sounds like your motherboard died, rather than the graphics card.
I would take my PC to a professional for repair.

with newer intel mb with built in ipgpu make sure the priamny display set to peg/pci not auto. if it set to auto it can boot from onboard video first. on your video card if it a evga card there issue with there vrm on those cards and the newer 1000 cards failing from heat and use. google evgas cards go up in flames.

luckymatt42

Upstanding
May 23, 2018

I think he was saying he only removed one stick (out of a presumed two).

Hugo_4

Reputable
Feb 2, 2016

I removed 4gb from the 8gb i have, 2 modules. One plugged, the other unplugged.

It is set to auto in the BIOS setting if it is what you're talking about. The GPU is a MSI GTX 970 4GB OC Edition, something like that. If, just IF, i choose the peg/pci instead of auto and the gpu doesnt display, what happens? (dumb question maybe)

gyuuula

Honorable
May 7, 2017

Intel CPUs come with an integrated GPU on them. You should clear the CMOS, and try to connect your monitor to your motherboard's video output - you should get a video signal on it, if your MoBo is fine.

Smorizio tried to say something like that your MoBo switched to your integrated GPU as the primary output. But you should get a video signal from both your card and the iGPU on stock settings.

Sometimes, you have to fill up your RAM slots in a certain order. It shouldn't be an issue on new boards, but to be sure, look at your MoBo's manual. If you took out the RAM from the wrong slot, it could cause problems.

But I'm confident, that your motherboard crapped itself. If your GPU is dying, you will usually experience visual artifacts and your monitor will occasionally lose the video signal, rather than bluescreens and freezes.

Hugo_4

Reputable
Feb 2, 2016

The computer works just fine with the onboard gpu, that's what makes me believe that something in the mobo went wrong, because taking out a ram slot, shouldn't make the gpu disappear

gyuuula

Honorable
May 7, 2017

My bad, it's hard to read at 1:00 AM :S

Your PC still could have a lot of different problems, test each component to make sure, what is causing the bluescreens/freezes/shutdowns.
-Check the video card in an other PC, if it works or not.
-Check the PSU's voltages on idle and under stress. If it's dying, the voltage will be unstable. The tolerance is +-5% (11.4V-12.6V on the 12V rail for instance)
-Your MoBo's power delivery could be failing. Do a stress test on your PC, if the MoBo has problems, your system will be unstable.

Hugo_4

Reputable
Feb 2, 2016

No problem bro, i'm bad at english, so it's okay aahaha.

I don't know if it counts but i did prime95 for a while and it went okay, when i try to do a ram test, the test goes to 99% and then says for a second that an error occurred, and shuts the pc down.

PS: If i go to the bios, change the setting to use only PCI instead of auto as it is now, if the gpu doesnt work, what happens next? If i plug the dvi into the onboard gpu it will display image?

gyuuula

Honorable
May 7, 2017

Now, that is weird.

It could be a coincidence.. Your GPU may have just died the next time, you turned on the PC.

I played around with that BIOS settings myself, choosing primary output doesn't seem to do anything. Your onboard gpu should still display image.
And you should remove ANY possibly faulty component (your video card) from your PC ASAP. Have you tested the memory with the video card in or out?

Hugo_4

Reputable
Feb 2, 2016

When i as using the gpu it failed the mem test. Today, that i'm using the onboard it failed the test as well. I've been searching and since the sympthoms i'm experiencing seem to point to a mobo problem, should i remove the gpu or just send it to a professional to fix it? probably change it and pay like 300$ in new components xD

gyuuula

Honorable
May 7, 2017

You should take the GPU out, and test your PC without it.

Even if it isn't sending a video signal, if it's faulty it can cause problems for your PC. The memory test could fail, if the video card were cashing some data in the RAM.

And yes, you should take your PC to a repair shop. They have tools and practice on repairing PCs. They will charge your for a fee, but you would have to pay anyway, to get new part if either of your GPU ar MoBo died.

Solution