Unreal Engine iOS 'Infinity Blade' Game Released

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Man some of you guys are bitter in here. This game looks slick. I played the epic citadel demo and it was quite impressive. Reviews are saying this game is really good.

Why do the Android fans feel the need to post trollish comments everytime the iphone has an article? If this was on Android I would be saying the same thing.....that it looks sweet and this is giant step forward for phone gaming.

techd2

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
The game is very fun to play. It's not Free roaming, it's more of a decision based fighting game. You can look left right, pick up items, decide if you want to walk up the stairs and fight or go through a door and fight. I like the input, swiping and tapping on the screen to do the fighting. It's a sweet game, and worth the $ IMHO.

Just my $.02,
Darren (Tech-D)

mj4358

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]kronos_cornelius[/nom]Thats a bad argument. How are PC games able to run on a wide variety of computers. With good software you can cope with differences in hardware.if( good hardware) { put bells and whistles }else if ( lower hardware){ do only the basic graphics}[/citation]

When a game does not run well on a PC you upgrade the Graphics card or Processor....with phones; what can you upgrade? Add more memory? Whos really gonna buy a new phone to run a game?
The logic that good software will over come is a total pipe dream.

truerock

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
Wow! I've been playing it on my iPhone 4. Very impressive... within the context of a game running on a smart phone. Definitely nice to have if you need to kill a few minutes and your iPhone is all you have handy. Obviously this is not going to replace PC or console gaming.
The biggest draw-back is that it does not allow “free roaming” like Citadel. In my opinion this game does not meet the minimum of what I want in a smart-phone game. But… I assume most individuals will feel it is well worth $5.

truerock

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
If I was developing games for smartphones in 2011... I would target iPhone 4 with a planned minimum direction towards the iPhone 5. As a large uniform design for Android smart-phones evolves, it might become the preferred initial design platform for game developers - IMO. Older iPhones are not good game platforms.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]osxsier[/nom]Sure, they may have a larger share of the market, but is everyones phone running 2.1 or greater? I think not. I agree developers will gravitate to where they can make the most money and right now the numbers are in Apples favor. You forget, we are not just talking about iPhones. How many more millions of iPod touches are out there? So if you bring those numbers in, Apples user base is pretty big.Either way, it dont matter to me one way or the other. I dont get all worked up about what phone people use. However, I know alot of people here do. I have an iPhone 4 and I love it. But I am not going to bash others because they have an Android phone. One guy even went out of his way to say I was a waste of life and space because I used an iPhone. He flamed me once and then came back hours later to flame me again. I laughed and thought it was totally pathetic. Saying that, I dont worship Steve Jobs. I own a PC that I use for gaming, etc. I am more of a tech enthusiast than a blind Apple loyalist.[/citation]

Agreed 100%. I am a technologist myself and happen to be an engineer by trade that get this.... actually appreciates engineering. Go figure.

I bought this game is it is simple, but a allot of fun. The graphics are great and I think the game play is about right for a phone type of device.

All in all, I have come to Tomshardware site for the last 14 years or so and it has definatly changed over th years. I enjoy tech, it is why I am here.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]mj4358[/nom]When a game does not run well on a PC you upgrade the Graphics card or Processor....with phones; what can you upgrade? Add more memory? Whos really gonna buy a new phone to run a game? The logic that good software will over come is a total pipe dream.[/citation]
Oh nonsense, my brother was using an AGP P4 board up until about a month ago (when the Mobo finally fried) and he was playing plenty of new games on that ancient system. You don't have to turn all the settings to Ultra High to play a game and devs have been dealing with hardware (and OS) fragmentation for years, its hardly a new hurdle.

gamebrigada

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
This will never come to android.

Epic: “So we have the engine up and running on Android, and we’re supplying it to licensees. We don’t have any immediate plans in terms of our own games for it yet. Our concerns are probably the same as John Carmack’s. Lots of good hardware, but it’s all over the map, and the rest of the issues he pretty much addresses. It will get there, I’m sure, but our technology can be licensed and used on Android. It’s just not as big a focus for us as iOS.”

1. Android hardware is all over the map, it would be a nightmare to get this game to work well on all devices. For iOS the hardware and software are almost identical for all devices.

2. iOS users are much more likely to pay for a game, while in the android market users are much more careful with their money, they bought an android for christ sake, they are damn careful with what they buy.

3. Android users aren't very loyal, only 71% said they would go for an android phone next, while in the iOS market, 89% said they would get an iOS device next. 21% Android users said their next choice will be an iOS device. Total current market share in smartphones: 28% Iphone, 13% Android. Throw in the iPod touches and iPads, and the iOS market is about 5-6 times larger then Android.

Keep in mind, developers aren't SWITCHING to Android, they are merely porting to get money from both markets. With a game this big, porting would be extremely difficult. Unreal engine 3 games WILL come to Android, just this game, wont.

G

@gamebrigada

where did you get your facts from? Your numbers all all bogus. Here is the real global smartphone shares http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smartphone
Android is 25%, Apple is only 17%

Also, ipad sales are nothing compared to smartphones, but android tablets are catching up quickly to ipad sales. As far as iPods, iPod touch models aren't as widespread as you think. The touch makes up roughly 38% of all iOS devices which isn't really all that spectacular. Android will pass it up very quickly... http://www.asymco.com/2010/09/03/ipod-touch-made-up-37-7-percent-of-all-ios-devices-sold-so-far/

So no, when you factor in all iOS devices, it is not 5-6 times larger than android. It isn't even double and at android's growth rates, it will surpass iOS relatively quickly.

Oh and your loyalty statistics are probably from the same study that had I've seen that had a extremely small polling group.

and again, to your #1 point, developers have no problem writing applications for multiple hardware versions. You see it every single day on PC and in the Android market. The only people who say it is a nightmare are the people who know absolutely nothing about it. Keep in mind that android has the largest developer familiarity http://www.businessinsider.com/this-chart-should-scare-the-bejesus-out-of-apple-2010-7

Also, porting a game like this would not be "extremely difficult" as you say since the engine already runs on android as well. For god's sake you quoted Epic at the top of your post that the engine was already up and running on android...

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Who cares about the number of smartphone sales? You change your definition of what a smartphone is and you can twist the graphs to make whoever you want come out on top. What I want to see are iPhone 4 sales vs comparable phones like the Galaxy. Most of the so-called "smartphones" out there aren't in the same league as these two, so why are we counting them in terms of sales?

Here's something you Apple haters should think about: Two top developers have come out with exciting games showcasing what the future holds for smartphone gaming.

And they BOTH chose iOS to develop their initial offerings for.

G

Just as a comparison, the PowerVR SGX 535 is in the same ballpark as a PS2/PSP or a Radeon 9800. Which isn't that impressive - how long as the PSP been out? It's been so long I have to specify 'Radeon' otherwise people might think 9800 refers to the GeForce 9800.

Current desktop GPUs are orders of magnitude more powerful than these things. It's not very hard making something that looks amazing on 6 year old hardware if you've got 6 years to do it.

nasqb112

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]Who cares about the number of smartphone sales? You change your definition of what a smartphone is and you can twist the graphs to make whoever you want come out on top. What I want to see are iPhone 4 sales vs comparable phones like the Galaxy. Most of the so-called "smartphones" out there aren't in the same league as these two, so why are we counting them in terms of sales?Here's something you Apple haters should think about: Two top developers have come out with exciting games showcasing what the future holds for smartphone gaming.And they BOTH chose iOS to develop their initial offerings for.[/citation]

Ugh, developers care about sales. Sure, for the time being, developers may go with AAPL since they have a larger user base and a more refined app store. That equates to more sales. Once Android and Android Marketplace takes the #1 spot (which I think is inevitable), then developers will move to Android. The best thing for both developers and consumers would be cross platform development. Its different from video game consoles having exclusivity as
1)both iPhone/Android already have a massive consumer base and 2)people are not buying iPhones/Android due to a killer app or two. Infinity Blade looks awesome but I don't see people rushing out to buy an iPhone/iPad just for this one title.

dalta centauri

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
[citation][nom]maestintaolius[/nom]Oh nonsense, my brother was using an AGP P4 board up until about a month ago (when the Mobo finally fried) and he was playing plenty of new games on that ancient system. You don't have to turn all the settings to Ultra High to play a game and devs have been dealing with hardware (and OS) fragmentation for years, its hardly a new hurdle.[/citation]
Exactly, I could play games at 1680x1050 with my old 8500 gt last year, played games fine but not on high settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS