Unstable CPU, looking for answers. Crashes with BSOD with error Code: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR. Immediate Crash with Prime95

theguyordie

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
Ok, hello everyone! This last week was very exciting for me as I officially built my first PC. I had a base computer that I bought at Fry's about 3 years ago that I have been constantly upgrading and I thought it was time to move to a new motherboard, CPU and case! I got all my new parts from Newegg and I was really pleased with their service. My build is as follows:

AMD FX 8350 Eight Core (Using Stock Fan) (No overclock)
ASUS M5A97 R2.0
4x2GB of Kingston RAM
AMD Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 (2 Fans) (Core Overclocked to 850MHz)
Cooler Master Storm Scout (3 case fans)
600W Cooler Master PSU
3 Hard Drives that I removed from my old Setup so I wouldn't have to start fresh.
Windows 8 Preinstalled on said HDD's ^^^

The build went smoothly with one exception. When testing outside of the case with 1 stick of 2GB RAM, my CPU (with fan) and my GPU, I got an error beep code. 1 Long Beep, 4 Short beeps, a pause, and 1 even shorter beep (almost sounded like the OK all clear beep that we all hope for when building a PC). About half a second before the beep code, the CPU heat-sync fan speed up quite a bit, which scared me, honestly. I shut the pseudo-computer down and googled the error code to yield no certain cause or explanation (THANKS, google :pfff:). Anyways, after retrying the boot a few more times to make sure it wasn't an outlier, however, getting the same result each time, i decided to try reseating the CPU and to rotate the CPU fan 180 degrees from the position I currently had it. I checked the pins and all looked fine, but not the Motherboard socket (My bad? Should I have?). After that I reseated it (Didn't apply new thermal paste, because I didnt have more than the pregiven amount pre-applied to the Heat-Sync) and put on the Heat-Sync in the new angle. I booted the computer up again and bam, no beep codes or visible problems! I finished building the computer with a smile on my face. I finished later that night and I had a working, booting computer.

I continued to use my new beefed-up computer the next day as normal after installing all the new drivers and updates and stuff. Video editing, gaming, etc. etc. But when Rendering a new video for my YouTube in Sony Vegas Pro 12, I got a BSOD with the error code: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR. I was startled by this so I googled it. It turns out that it is caused by a fatal Hardware fail in your machine. So over the past few days I have kept a heat monitoring program up in my second monitor to survey the heat of my computer's components during my workflow. My CPU averaged around about 25 degrees Celsius during normal use and about the same (25-ish degrees) but with 20-25% usage during Renders and gaming. So with this information I wasn't sure what the problem was, and I was starting to question if my CPU was even the culprit of the problem. I had no further BSOD's

...Untill today. I decided it would be a good idea to stress test to see if the machine had somehow become stable overnight (dumb right? but I wanted to get it off my chest). So i opened up Prime95 and started a "Torture Test" in blend mode. Just as I suspected, my system BSOD-ed about 3 seconds after starting the test and gave me the WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR. I am now stumped because that means it IS my CPU, right?? I don't know if it was defective out of the box or what but I want answers because I don't want my warranty to expire and leave me with a defective part. I'm not sure what Newegg's return policy is, but I at least want to know what exactly is going on, or if the problem even is my CPU before I go trying to RMA it. It doesnt seem to be a persisting problem, but I dont want to be in the middle of an important task and have my computer fail. I WAS going to buy new thermal paste and apply a fresh correct batch like I wasn't able to do in the original build, because that is my only visible explanation because nothing else went wrong with the build, but Im not sure after seeing those extremely low temperatures, even under load. My only option is to turn to the professionals, so that's why I'm here. Do i have a defective part? I know its not my GPU, because I stress tested that baby and it yielded no crashes and it did quite well. Plus, Prime95 stress tests the CPU only along with the RAM, so Im guessing the CPU IS the issue, but have no Idea why...

Any Replies are greatly appriciated, guys. Thanks in advance,
-Rio M.

Solution
I would test the HDD's for issues - HDTUNE will do this

Theres not really such thing as "good quality" hdd's - they all will eventually fail.

Did you do a fresh install with the new mobo/cpu?

Also! After a bios update reset the cmos! (should do it but sometimes doesnt seem to work)

8350rocks

Distinguished
I have found someone encountering the same beep codes, this was their solution to the issue:
The Solution

The 3-pin fan connector was connected to the motherboard's cpu_opt fan connector instead of the CPU_FAN motherboard connector.
I then connected the 3-pin fan connector the CPU_FAN header in the motherboard and the beeping stopped.

Also found, 1 long beep and 4 short beeps means hardware failure, with no specific mention of what hardware it would be.

I would say, if you have a spare PC, test your memory in your spare PC and make sure it's not the RAM. If that problem is eliminated, I would say make sure you're running the newest version of BIOS and that the CPU is supported by that MB. Your MB being an Asus M5A97 R2.0 should be fully compatible with the CPU (AFAIK that's a 125W TDP board but double check that the 8350 is specifically listed in the supported CPUs list).

If you can eliminate compatability issues, you're running the newest version of BIOS on the board, and it's not the RAM, then the only other components left would be HDD and CPU since you've eliminated the GPU.

I am not very certain as to what a good software to test HDD performance/function is...but I can do some leg work on that just to eliminate that as a possibility before you go off into RMA territory.

theguyordie

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013

I will do that and get back to you! Also, I can assure you the HDD's are good quality and I have important stuff on them so switching over to a new HDD would cause more problems than it would fix.

theguyordie

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013

Ok thanks! I started by checking to see if the Processor was supported, and it was, AFTER Bios version 1602, so I checked my Bios's current version and It was at 15xx. I updated to 17xx and Prime95 now doesnt crash my system. However it DOES freeze my PC (Mouse too) so I was forced to Manually shut down... Should I do something about this, do you think it is a big deal or not? Also will all these forceful shutdowns hurt my machine?

8350rocks

Distinguished
While they aren't good, they won't be earth shatteringly bad either.

Though, You really should do a fresh windows install on HDDs when you install the HDD into a new PC. That could very likely be the reason your PC is acting up.

If I were you, I would save my important files to a disk or external HDD. Then I would wipe the HDDs, reinstall windows, and just reinstall the programs/files you saved from the external HDD.

Windows is very funny about MB/CPU and you should always do a fresh install when you change one or both of those 2 things.

I would test the HDD's for issues - HDTUNE will do this

Theres not really such thing as "good quality" hdd's - they all will eventually fail.

Did you do a fresh install with the new mobo/cpu?

Also! After a bios update reset the cmos! (should do it but sometimes doesnt seem to work)

Solution

theguyordie

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013

Ok thanks for the response, does this look "Good Quality" enough?
http://gyazo.com/aaa334468f955326947074093e6b34bc

Also would it work for me to buy a nice SSD and install just the OS and other essentials onto it, then keep my old harddrives? I really dont have the time to deal with all that organizing and deciding what to keep and what to get rid of when you ditch your old HDD's. I know it will have to happen someday, I just dont have the time to right now.