Question Unstable network connection using Router & ONU ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bedouinbro

Reputable
Jan 25, 2021
https://psiphon.ca/en/index.html

What is Psiphon?​

Psiphon is a circumvention tool from Psiphon Inc. that utilizes VPN, SSH and HTTP Proxy technology to provide you with uncensored access to Internet content. Your Psiphon client will automatically learn about new access points to maximize your chances of bypassing censorship.

It's possible your browser's proxy setting has been modified.
thanks, figured it out !
so there were power cuts. probably that's why psiphon couldn't detect the proxy after restarting
https://gemoo.com/tools/upload-vide...Ez7Zrpb&card=640765382681968640&from=recorder

but this is my first time seeing psiphon acting like this, I have been using it for the last 4 years almost

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
I don't use VPN 99.99% of the time.

I only test them and get an idea.

So I don't know which one is fast.

Free ones that I know: VPNBook, Cloudflare Warp. Proton VPN.

This thread sure changed. I guess nobody thought to ask if you were running vpn type services.

There really can't be a free vpn service. There are servers and internet bandwidth that cost money. If nothing else there is the electricity to run the servers. Someone needs to pay that bill somehow.

You get so called free internet at say the library but that is not really free. There are likely thousands of people paying taxes that never use the library at all so a small group can use it for free.

You have to be extremely careful with so called free services. You need to figure out where the money to pay for the service comes from if you are not paying for it yourself. There were very dishonest services that used to load bitcoin miners onto people machines along with the vpn software.

I would just get a paid service. There are many that are less than $3/month. You can even get the largest ones like nord for that price if you prepay a year

Reactions: bedouinbro

bedouinbro

Reputable
Jan 25, 2021
I don't use VPN 99.99% of the time.

I only test them and get an idea.

So I don't know which one is fast.

Free ones that I know: VPNBook, Cloudflare Warp. Proton VPN.
same here, I use it in rare cases when a site might be blocked by the country or there are any ip/country restrictions

bedouinbro

Reputable
Jan 25, 2021
This thread sure changed. I guess nobody thought to ask if you were running vpn type services.

There really can't be a free vpn service. There are servers and internet bandwidth that cost money. If nothing else there is the electricity to run the servers. Someone needs to pay that bill somehow.

You get so called free internet at say the library but that is not really free. There are likely thousands of people paying taxes that never use the library at all so a small group can use it for free.

You have to be extremely careful with so called free services. You need to figure out where the money to pay for the service comes from if you are not paying for it yourself. There were very dishonest services that used to load bitcoin miners onto people machines along with the vpn software.

I would just get a paid service. There are many that are less than $3/month. You can even get the largest ones like nord for that price if you prepay a year
that's for sure btw, being hasty in diagnosing problems and just buying new things isn't always the right path ! on top of that the a lack of it support/remote village/money problems/ house problems and many more to add to the list of uncertainty and additional connection problems. I check my resource usage when installing any kind of software, to see if there's any abnormal spike in usage of CPU/GPU/RAM/HDD/SSD/network, etc. I think buying the new router could have been avoided if I hadn't moved to this remote village, I would have had additional time on my hands to diagnose and the lack of uncertainty from the issues discussed in this thread.

I used to use Starbucks for downloading movies at a certain point in my life lol, just sitting there for hours enjoying free internet, ( this was in China btw ) also used fast food chains for the same purpose.

I'm spending about 5.47 USD per month for the internet connection. Using a paid VPN is a bit of over the top for me lol !

Last edited: