[SOLVED] Unstable system (System Freezes and BSoD)

May 25, 2021
Hi, I have a problem with my system being unstable- often crashes (image stops working) or BSoD- Critical Process Died.

So first of all, last month I was forced by Microsoft to update Win 10 to version 2H20 from 1909 (which worked without problems). Around one year or so ago I updated to 2004 Version, which caused some lags and crashes, so I downgraded back to 1909 for stability. And now, with 2H20, the same problems as with 2004- the most noticeable was that for example when watching something on YT suddenly audio and video was lagging and choppy, as well as in that moment the cursor was laggy, and it lasted for some time. Unfortunately, 10 days or so passed, so I couldn't roll back to 1909, so I did a clean win 10 1909 install. Since then, my system constantly crashes (just an image freeze or BSoD- Critical Process Died).

I tried some more clean Win installs, updating drivers, performing /sfc scannow etc etc, but none of that seems to have helped.

My specs are:
-Windows 10 x64

-CPU Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 Ghz

-GPU MSI Radeon RX 570 Armor OC 4gb

-Mobo Gigabyte B450M DS3H

-PSU SilentiumPC Vero L2 500W

-RAM Patriot Viper 4, DDR4, 2x4 GB, 3000MHz, CL16

-Later bought RAM GOODRAM DDR4 IRDM X 8GB 3000MHz CL16

-SSD ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro 1 TB M.2 2280 PCI-E x4 Gen3 NVMe (here's system)

-Later bought SSD GOODRAM CX400 512GB

My question is
- is there anything else I can do? Maybe updating BIOS, as I only have the default one?

Thanks in advance.

Hi, I have a problem with my system being unstable- often crashes (image stops working) or BSoD- Critical Process Died.

So first of all, last month I was forced by Microsoft to update Win 10 to version 2H20 from 1909 (which worked without problems). Around one year or so ago I updated to 2004 Version, which caused some lags and crashes, so I downgraded back to 1909 for stability. And now, with 2H20, the same problems as with 2004- the most noticeable was that for example when watching something on YT suddenly audio and video was lagging and choppy, as well as in that moment the cursor was laggy, and it lasted for some time. Unfortunately, 10 days or so passed, so I couldn't roll back to 1909, so I did a clean win 10 1909 install. Since then, my system constantly crashes (just an image freeze or BSoD- Critical Process Died).

I tried some more clean Win installs, updating drivers, performing /sfc scannow etc etc, but none of that seems to have helped.

My specs are:
-Windows 10 x64

-CPU Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 Ghz

-GPU MSI Radeon RX 570 Armor OC 4gb

-Mobo Gigabyte B450M DS3H

-PSU SilentiumPC Vero L2 500W

-RAM Patriot Viper 4, DDR4, 2x4 GB, 3000MHz, CL16

-Later bought RAM GOODRAM DDR4 IRDM X 8GB 3000MHz CL16

-SSD ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro 1 TB M.2 2280 PCI-E x4 Gen3 NVMe (here's system)

-Later bought SSD GOODRAM CX400 512GB

My question is
- is there anything else I can do? Maybe updating BIOS, as I only have the default one?

Thanks in advance.
I think you should set your ram speed to 2933Mhz in the bios. Also do you have 2 different sets of ram installed?

Reactions: RodroX and MetaSoc
May 25, 2021
I think you should set your ram speed to 2933Mhz in the bios. Also do you have 2 different sets of ram installed?

In bios there are only options- default (2133) and XMP (3000, which I use).

Yes, at the beginning I had 2x4gb sticks of Patriot Viper 4, DDR4, 2x4 GB, 3000MHz, CL16 and then bought one stick of GOODRAM DDR4 IRDM X 8GB 3000MHz CL16, I don't know if it could be the case. May it be because of the BIOS version, though? Maybe updating would help?

In bios there are only options- default (2133) and XMP (3000, which I use).

Yes, at the beginning I had 2x4gb sticks of Patriot Viper 4, DDR4, 2x4 GB, 3000MHz, CL16 and then bought one stick of GOODRAM DDR4 IRDM X 8GB 3000MHz CL16, I don't know if it could be the case. May it be because of the BIOS version, though? Maybe updating would help?
Yes updating the bios would likely help. Ryzen 1st gen are funny about ram speed 2933Mhz is the highest officially supported speed by the CPU. Some chips can go higher, it depends on the memory controller. Running mismatched memory isn't going to help when overclocking memory though.

Reactions: RodroX and MetaSoc
May 25, 2021
You can change the frequency of the ram in your bios, it is just not quite as easy as turning on XMP
here is a youtube video of a fella changing his ram settings (from about 4mins in the video)
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FKBW0pBt-I

Ok, so I changed speed to 2933 and 1.35V, I'm not updating bios yet, to see if RAM may be indeed the case. Thank you so much, I'll keep you updated.

PS.: A few minutes ago I had a BSoD (Critical Process Died) again, and this time it wouldn't boot up again. It just said "Insert bootable device and press any key" or something like that. In BIOS my System drive wouldn't show up. After a few restarts, it booted again. I forgot to mention that it was happening before (even like a year ago). I even replaced the MOBO battery, but it still occasionally happens.

Ok, so I changed speed to 2933 and 1.35V, I'm not updating bios yet, to see if RAM may be indeed the case. Thank you so much, I'll keep you updated.

PS.: A few minutes ago I had a BSoD (Critical Process Died) again, and this time it wouldn't boot up again. It just said "Insert bootable device and press any key" or something like that. In BIOS my System drive wouldn't show up. After a few restarts, it booted again. I forgot to mention that it was happening before (even like a year ago). I even replaced the MOBO battery, but it still occasionally happens.
You should just use one set of ram and set it to 2133Mhz and then update the bios. This is the most stable ram configuration.Then after the bios update you can try to get both sets working at a higher speed.

Reactions: Vic 40
May 25, 2021
Make sure you keep the 2x4gb in one channel and the 1x8gb stick in the other channel. Like 2x4gb in the slots closest to the cpu (A1+A2) and then the 1x8gb stick in the slot farthest away (B2). After the update of course.

Yeah, I have 4 slots available, and I have 2x4 in like second and fourth slot, then 1x8 in 3rd slot (that's what the manual said).

May 25, 2021
You should just use one set of ram and set it to 2133Mhz and then update the bios. This is the most stable ram configuration.Then after the bios update you can try to get both sets working at a higher speed.

So you suggest updating bios right now? Before checking if just setting to 2933 would work?

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
The slots 1+2 from the cpu out are one channel, the other two another channel, if you put 1x4 in slot 1 and 1x4 in slot 4 and 1x8 in slot 3 you will have 4gb (slot1) in one channel and 12gb (slot3=8gb+slot4=4gb) in the other channel. To have an optimized dualchannel you want 8gb off ram in both channels, you get this by doing it as i told you.

These slots usually are designated as A1+A2 (two closest to the cpu) and B1+B2 for the other two (3+4), usually as well need A2+B2 be filled for best results, why i want the 8b stick in slot 4/B2, and the other two in A1+A2.

Yeah, I have 4 slots available, and I have 2x4 in like second and fourth slot, then 1x8 in 3rd slot (that's what the manual said).
Think you didn't read this right at least didn't compare it with the motherboard layout,

0GGNQIR.png

Due to CPU limitations, read the following guidelines before installing the memory in Dual Channel mode. 1. Dual Channel mode cannot be enabled if only one memory module is installed. 2. When enabling Dual Channel mode with two or four memory modules, it is recommended that memory of the same capacity, brand, speed, and chips be used. For optimum performance, when enabling Dual Channel mode with two memory modules, we recommend that you install them in the DDR4_1 and DDR4_2 sockets

You're right if you want with two sticks you need them in slots 1+2, but if you look at the picture you will see that these are what i call slots 2+4 from the cpu out or mostly referred to as A2+B2. But when installing three sticks of ram you want the same capacity in both channels, on this motherboard and referring to how they call them one channel is DDR4-4 + DDR4-2 and the other channel is DDR4-3 + DDR4-1, means that you put 2x4gb in
DDR4-4 = DDR4-2 and the other stick of ram 1x8gb in DDR4-1. This way you have optimal dualchannel, means 8gb in each channel.

Last edited:
May 25, 2021
Might be ram not playing well with each other. Did you change the slots as i said? Tried with the 8gb stick out?

Can test ram with memtest86, let it run at least 4 passes.

Maybe BleuScreenView can say something about what crashed, for more info the page,
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html#DownloadLinks

Yes, I set ram correctly (as you said), all fine for a month, and now again... today for example I again couldn't power on, it kept sending me to BIOS where there was no Windows Boot Manager option in Boot Menu, and after force restarting sometimes it showed up this option, but when selecting it and saving changes, after restart it still kept sending me to bios, on WBM... and finally after logging in, strangely enough all my screen was black (no taskbar etc.). Restarting PC didn't help, I looked on YT and set Shell in RegEdit to explorer.exe back and forth, and eventually I got my desktop back working. I'm really fed up with it.

EDIT: no errors so far in BlueScreenView, and I was running memtest recently, and got everything as "fine"

May 25, 2021
Did you test with just the 2x4gb kit of ram in?

Hard to say what is wrong, might be motherboard or ram config and maybe even the lower quality psu in the end.

Problem with reinstalling windows?

Ye, looks like ram's ok, tested it that way. Now I have some new variation of this problem- Every time I turn on my pc I have BSoD (critical process died), and after restart it works again like a charm (occasionally can't turn on and takes me to bios because there's no boot option, few restarts help). So basically every day I run my pc for the first time, there's a BSoD until I restart it again. How is that even possible? Any ideas?

To me, this sounds like an issue with the mismatched RAM; memory controllers can be very prickly about speeds/timings to start with, and having mismatches ram is just begging for problems if the RAM timings don't match up. Worse, this type of thing would typically pass memtest, but fail in operation.

The easiest way to eliminate a RAM issue is to run the system for an extended period with the 2x4GB sticks of RAM in dual channel mode, and see if the instability goes away.

Reactions: Flayed