[SOLVED] Unstable WIDI connection

hw_user

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
I am using WIDI to display my Win 10 laptop screen to my LG smart TV. Once in a while I got warning message on the TV saying unstable WIDI connection and some times the PC disconnected from the TV. The LG TV is ethernet connected to the router which is just 1 foot away from the TV. My laptop wireless connected to the router which is about 10 feet away with a direct line of sight. Speed test on my laptop shows 73 mega bit down and 10 meg bit up which is close to the service I got from the ISP (75 mb down/10 mb up). This indicates no connection issue between my laptop and my router. In order to find out what caused the instability, I need to understand the signal path. I can think of 3 possible signal paths.
  1. Screen signal (Video and audio) transmitted over Wifi to the router which forward the signal to the LG TV over ethernet.
  2. Screen signal (Video and audio) transmitted over Wifi to the router which forward the signal to the LG TV also over Wifi . I am not sure how this will work because my LG TV is not WIFI connected to router.
  3. Screen signal (Video and audio) transmitted over Wifi directly to the build in Wifi receiver of the LG TV.
At this time, I think point 3 is the way the signal is transmitted. If that is the case, I probably has a weak or bad signal receiver on my LG TV which there is not much I can do to improve the connection stability. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Solution
there are no settings for widi, it can use both 2.4GHz and 5GHz, if both devices supports it (widi version 4.2 or better)
tho u can open network adapter settings for your wifi card in laptop and change prefefered band to 2.4GHz
widi works without your router , its connection between your tv and notebook
so your tv/notebook has poor antenna/too far away from eachother
it has nothing to do with your curent wifi
wifi from your router can drop signal quality on your widi if channels are close to eachother

hw_user

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Thanks for the quick response. My laptop is no more than 10 feet from the TV and with nothing in between. Is widi using the same 2.4G or 5 G used by our wifi for connection. I know that 2.4G is overcrowded in my neighborhood. Is there an option to select 2.4G or 5G for widi connectivity ?