Unstable wireless connection, with different wireless adapters and different routers

shealtiel

Reputable
Mar 9, 2015
I bought a new powerful Lenovo laptop around a year ago

The laptop had problems with wireless connection from the beginning
I initially thought that it is a problem with the quality of the internet connection of my landlord which I used.
Than I so that I have the same problem in other places. Below are the details as I observed them:

The symptom: internet connection is very unstable. It becomes rather very slow, or, disconnects frequently (the WLAN connection itself between my laptop and the router).

I noticed that it happens with some of the routers at the places I visit, and doesn't happen (to the level of no problem at all) with some others. I can't characterize the pattern more, I just know that I had the problem at 3 out of the last 5 places where I spent long periods of time recently.

I also tried:
- Replacing the wireless adapter built in in the laptop, by plugging an outer adapter via USB and using it instead. Surprisingly it did not help, and I tried two completely different USB adapters.
- Completely uninstalling the driver of the wireless adapter of the laptop, and installing the latest from the manufacturers site.
- Disabling all the other network adapters in the computer (like the LAN, and some virtual ones)

So I'm in a tricky situation.
It doesn't seem to a problem with the adapter, because I replaced it and had the problem still.
It doesn't seem to a problem with the router or the internet connection between the router and the ISP, because the problem occures in a very similar way at different places I visit.

So it seems to be somehow a problems with something else in the computer.
And I'm clue less what can it be

Please help.
I'm willing to supply more information if you point at something specific that you need

---

The computer:
Lenovo ideapad, G510
CPU intel i7 quad
16gb DDR3 RAM
256 SSD drive

Broadcom pciexress half mini card, b/g/n wireless adapter

It came with an OS installed by the store rather than Lenovo itself. That is because I chose windows 7. So they sold me a laptop with no Lenovo-preinstalled os, and installed a legal copy of windows 7 home premium, by themselves.

Solution
Try booting the system with a bootable linux CD/DVD, like Linux Mint or Ubuntu

If you get normal wireless connections this way, you know its something with Windows.

If that does turn out to be the case, I'd suggest a clean install of Windows (you can get the ISO from microsoft if you have the key <link>) and reinstall. You'd need to be sure to get the wireless and/or network drivers downloaded from Lenovo beforehand so you'll be able to connect to internet after the initial windows install.

g90814

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013
Try booting the system with a bootable linux CD/DVD, like Linux Mint or Ubuntu

If you get normal wireless connections this way, you know its something with Windows.

If that does turn out to be the case, I'd suggest a clean install of Windows (you can get the ISO from microsoft if you have the key <link>) and reinstall. You'd need to be sure to get the wireless and/or network drivers downloaded from Lenovo beforehand so you'll be able to connect to internet after the initial windows install.

Solution

shealtiel

Reputable
Mar 9, 2015
Thanks, that a good direction to go

For me, I'll try to avoid this as long as possible, as re-installing and re-configuring everything is a real pain
Still the linux bootable DVD is an excellent check to do. Thank you

shealtiel

Reputable
Mar 9, 2015
Thanks, that a good direction to go

For me, I'll try to avoid this as long as possible, as re-installing and re-configuring everything is a real pain
Still the linux bootable DVD is an excellent check to do. Thank you

g90814

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013
Also you can check in device properties (in device manager) that the device is using the proper driver. Sometimes it defaults to a generic microsoft driver rather than the specific one that you install.