Ty Moore

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2016
I just bought a Brand new gaming laptop 2 months ago and It's been great so far (although a little hot:LOL:), however I was using Hardware monitor one day to check temps and noticed that my battery wear level was at 18.8% which although I didn't know what was the average wear level for a new laptop seemed very high. I haven't seen any conclusive info but from what I have seen this isn't normal so I'm just asking to confirm if it is or isn't and whether to be concerned or not? Also some extra info my laptop doesn't come with a setting to limit battery charge to 80% or 90% but It does come with a stationary battery mode for battery health that I have it on.

Ty Moore

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2016

My battery has had weird fluctuating design capacity readings and then suddenly the wear level on it went flying up to 18.8%. To be clear I’ve owned this laptop for only up to 2 months at most.

From everything I’ve read, most people don’t even have a 18.8% wear level on their battery even after owning a laptop for 2 years, unless maybe battery wear level is different specifically for gaming laptops?

Last edited:

Ty Moore

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2016

My battery has had weird fluctuating design capacity readings and then suddenly the wear level on it went flying up to 18.8%. To be clear I’ve owned this laptop for only one month and half to 2 months, from everything I’ve read most people don’t even have a 18.8% wear level on their battery after owning a laptop for 2 years, unless maybe battery wear level is different specifically for gaming laptops.

My battery has had weird fluctuating design capacity readings and then suddenly the wear level on it went flying up to 18.8%. To be clear I’ve owned this laptop for only one month and half to 2 months, from everything I’ve read most people don’t even have a 18.8% wear level on their battery after owning a laptop for 2 years, unless maybe battery wear level is different specifically for gaming laptops.
Are you gaming with charger on ? If so, small charges for short periods usually make battery appear to have less capacity, Let it deplete until reserve and slow charge without using laptop. See if APP has reset option.

Ty Moore

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2016
Are you gaming with charger on ? If so, small charges for short periods usually make battery appear to have less capacity, Let it deplete until reserve and slow charge without using laptop. See if APP has reset option.
Yeah, I always game with the charger in. I’ve been told to try and do a full charge and discharge because it might just be the computer misreading the battery, the person said I should do it three times and see if it updates, so far I’ve done it once and nothing. Also can you let me know what APP is and I’ll check please.

Yeah, I always game with the charger in. I’ve been told to try and do a full charge and discharge because it might just be the computer misreading the battery, the person said I should do it three times and see if it updates, so far I’ve done it once and nothing. Also can you let me know what APP is and I’ll check please.
There should be an APP supplied with original OS coming from factory. Should be able to access it thru right click on battery icon on the taskbar. At least that's how it's on HP, or look for one on manufacturer's site.