Update BIOS on MSI x370 Gaming Plus

myklexcore

Prominent
Sep 12, 2017
First time PC buyer/builder. I have a Ryzen 5 1600 and MSI x370 Gaming Plus mobo that is giving me no display (CPU and DRAM light are on EZ Debug LED)

I spoke with MSI support and they suggested that by BIOS needed to be updated/flashed to support my Ryzen 5. They also mentioned that I could try to find someone locally to do it (called several places, no luck) or purchase an a-series processor myself (and other one I can't remember) to update the BIOS myself.

My question is what is the cheapest a-series processor I can buy to update the BIOS?

Alternatively, would it be better to just buy a "newer" motherboard that already has the latest/updated BIOS?

Thanks!

Solution
The simplest thing is to take it to a repair shop for them to do it for you cheap. However, since this is a brand new board, I'd try to return it, get your money back, and get a board that supports ryzen right off the bat.

Sedivy

Estimable
The simplest thing is to take it to a repair shop for them to do it for you cheap. However, since this is a brand new board, I'd try to return it, get your money back, and get a board that supports ryzen right off the bat.

Solution

rapathurwyn

Prominent
Feb 3, 2018
Simply put the LED stays on because the Ryzen line has no onboard GPU. I have the same motherboard and use the 1600X - it gave me the same issue. If you have a stable power and internet connection, just go into BIOS and use the MSI auto Update feature - it will restart BIOS, Download the update, install it and then reboot your PC - all in 2 keypresses and 1 mouse click. I did this not long after the bios was released and that annoying little LED has not bothered me since.
The motherboard is NOT defective, it DOES support your CPU, it's just telling you it cannot find an Onboard GPU (Like most Intel's have).

Sweet_3

Reputable
Apr 29, 2017
I had the same problem, and it was caused by ram that was incompatible with the motherboard. I returned the ram and replaced it with a set that was listed on the msi website as being certified compatible, and it booted normally.

Sedivy

Estimable
Could be but his cpu and dram ez light checks out as ok making it less likely. Meaning msi is likely right, the board needs a bios update that he can't do cause he can't see anything in the first place. Hence return and buy already compatible board is the simplest solution rather than paying guys in repair shop to do update for him, shelling out money for this.
But this is a necro of september thread. Not sure why it's continuing.

rapathurwyn

Prominent
Feb 3, 2018
"First time PC buyer/builder. I have a Ryzen 5 1600 and MSI x370 Gaming Plus mobo that is giving me no display (CPU and DRAM light are on EZ Debug LED)

I spoke with MSI support and they suggested that by BIOS needed to be updated/flashed to support my Ryzen 5. They also mentioned that I could try to find someone locally to do it (called several places, no luck) or purchase an a-series processor myself (and other one I can't remember) to update the BIOS myself.
"
The OP has bought this processor and this motherboard. Even if he does get a repair shop to update it, THEY STILL NEED A GPU - there is not one on the processor. Therefore it's still useless. If they want to use this combo, they need to buy a GPU whether or not they can flash the bios.
Either buy a GPU and do the easy bios update (or get someone to do it for them) or buy a cheap Ryzen APU that will fit the board - they run as low as AU$60, but there will be very little gaming with that one.
They reason this "necro" thread is still going is that;
1) The "Best" answer selected didn't actually answer his question, rather gave advice that was inaccurate (just because the light is on does NOT mean it doesn't support his CPU - the CPU can run fine as is, with an annoying LED -it just means it's an older BIOS that could be updated).
2) Nobody explained to the OP why the light was on.
3) Nobody recommended either that the OP actually get a GPU to work with the system, or supply the actual info they asked with the APU.

Sedivy

Estimable
Ok gpu wasn't mentioned at all not sure why you think he doesn't have it
1)I did not in fact say his cpu was fried. The light was on meaning cpu was likely ok, but msi did tell him it's not supported, he already knows he needs bios which was a common issue as not all ryzen came out at the same time.
2)If he's mentioning EZ debug led, presumably he's smart enough to realize the implication...ie. that they indicate something about hardware, which is why he's reporting it
3) I did not give him info regarding apu as I wouldn't have known best one to get. Better not to suggest something if you're not sure, others are free to chime in. However, that seemed a nonsensical option to me, to shell out more money just to get things set up, if he could get things running if he just exchanged the mobo for one with bios already installed.

rapathurwyn

Prominent
Feb 3, 2018

1) I think he does not have it because he said "I have a Ryzen 5 1600 and MSI x370 Gaming Plus mobo that is giving me no display (CPU and DRAM light are on EZ Debug LED)" NOTE - "NO DISPLAY" - the 1600 does NOT have an onboard GPU - therefore if he has NO DISPLAY - he's not using a GPU - and can't update the BIOS which is where his main issue was... are we clear yet?
2) I Never said you said his CPU was fried - not sure where you got that. He did mention the EZ Debug LED - It's kinda hard to miss on this board. So if he is getting no dislpay and the blinding white LED is on, then I think the problem might be obvious...
And it IS supported - MSI only suggested that it needed updating to be supported - that's their way of telling someone to RTM. The boards supported the chip from day 1 - the reason it was updated was because the LED was driving people crazy.
3) The first question he asked was about the APU - OK, so you don't know - that's fair enough, but telling him to go get a new $300 motherboard just to get an updated bios when using a $25 budget PCI-E GPU, put it in for 10 mintues (Not even having to install a driver) and update the bios then, is so much cheaper and faster, is kinda overkill don't you think?

Sedivy

Estimable
1) If he's not passing the cpu check in the boot as it's not compatible with bios, he'll never get to display part anyway, so the fact he has no display doesn't mean he doesn't have gpu, since the boot sequence never gets that far.
2) If msi told him it was not supported and needed bios update, that's conflicting info. As I don't know the contents of that bios update, I'm not going to comment on this, but I do trust what they told him.
He also never said blinking lights.
3) I am not in fact telling him to get a new mobo. That is dumb as I have already said. I am telling him to return his brand new mobo instead of futzing with the bios update, and exchange it for the one that won't give him issues with the ryzen cpu instead of spending $25 on a new apu and doing bios update himself.

rapathurwyn

Prominent
Feb 3, 2018

OK - You don't seem to understand - So I'll just post this one last attempt at trying to explain then forget about this post - I'm not going to argue with you over semantics.
1) It's the GPU light and the CPU light that comes on - Therefore it's already passed the CPU POST - BOTH lights stay on until it all passes - I have the same board and WENT THROUGH THE SAME ISSUE. The boards BIOS supported the CPU from day 1 - there was just an issue in the first release that did not shut off the GPU light when a GPU was not found on the CPU - that included ALL R5 CPU's.
2) MSI never told him it wasn't supported - They told him it might need a BIOS update - Which it does, if you want the light to turn off.
3) As for returning/exchanging the board, The board is fit for purpose - it does EXACTLY what it's supposed to do. The fact that he doesn't know how to use the board is why he's here - we're supposed to be helping him, supplying him with the information he's asking for rather than being keyboard warriors arguing over ideas.

Sedivy

Estimable
1) He never said gpu light.
2) Read what he wrote: "they suggested that by BIOS needed to be updated/flashed to support my Ryzen 5"
3) I never said the board couldn't be fixed. Not everyone that comes to ask a question wants to futz around with bios right off the bat or ever even. He wouldn't have proposed an option to just get a different board if he did.
As OP hasn't said anything further, I don't see the point of this necro at all.