[SOLVED] Updated 2nd PC Build, tell me what you think:

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LAF_OUT_LOUD

Prominent
Mar 22, 2019
Ok, I updated my PC list for 2020.
I'm aiming for a PC that can comfortably handle 2k 144hz. This build isn't intended for attempting 4k.
I only really intend to use this PC for gaming and/or sometimes editing.
I was recommended the motherboard, memory, and case fans because their lights can be synced up.

1. CPU - Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor (is this the most efficient cpu for what i'm aiming to do?)
  1. Motherboard - Gigabyte Z390 AORUS ULTRA ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
  2. Memory - GeIL SUPER LUCE RGB SYNC 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
  3. Storage - Hitachi Ultrastar 7K4000 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
  4. SSD - Samsung 970 Evo 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
  5. GPU -
  6. Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB AORUS XTREME Video Card (is the 2080 ti necessary?)
  7. Case - Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic ATX Full Tower Case
  8. Power Supply - Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
  9. CPU Cooler - Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
  10. Case fans - Cooler Master MasterFan MF120R ARGB 59 CFM 120 mm Fan x4
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Solution
It doesn't show the full specs of the PC, so I can't give it a complete evaluation.
As for what I am able to see from that list...
What do you thinks wrong w/ it?
1)Case: The design is terrible. Too much focus on 'bling', and sacrificing cooling ability in the process.
Closed off, or near closed off, front panels are the nemesis of high end gpus - some mid range models too. They will either suffer high temps, or thermal throttle under a large enough load.
Adding fans doesn't fix it when the pathways are already choked off.
Glass is also an insulator of heat, meaning it does not easily pass through. Side panel windows are fine. Any more than that isn't going to be a benefit.

2)9900K CANNOT be kept cool with a 120mm AIO, I don't...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It doesn't show the full specs of the PC, so I can't give it a complete evaluation.
What do you thinks wrong w/ it?
1)Case: The design is terrible. Too much focus on 'bling', and sacrificing cooling ability in the process.
Closed off, or near closed off, front panels are the nemesis of high end gpus - some mid range models too. They will either suffer high temps, or thermal throttle under a large enough load.
Glass is also an insulator of heat, meaning it does not easily pass through. Side panel windows are fine. Any more than that isn't going to be a benefit.

2)9900K CANNOT be kept cool with a 120mm AIO, I don't care who tells you otherwise.
120mm AIOs only worked for pure quad core cpus and below - it also worked for some hyperthreaded models as well.
The 9900K has over twice the resources of a quad core. You'll be able to play some older titles on it, like CSGO, DOTA, and Minecraft.
The moment you try to play something like Fortnite, COD, Assassins Creed, a strategy game, or other cpu heavy title = :hot:

3)They offer to pre-overclock this cpu while still keeping the 120mm AIO in there, WTH!
That's just not going to work.
The top end air coolers can manage the 9900K at stock settings. Overclocked, it's liquid cooling, or bust - 280/360mm AIO, or custom loop. 240mm is in the same ballpark as top end air cooling.

4)Daily Deal VR i7K 2080
Since 2080 was in the name, the RTX 2080 was the gpu of choice?
If so, this goes back to point #1.
The 10, 16, and 20 series gpus are temperature sensitive; the warmer they run, the more passive their boost clocks are going to be. If they thermal throttle, it'll be much worse than that.
I don't think I'd put more than a GTX 1660 Super in there - maybe a 2060 Super.

Everything else isn't listed, so I've no idea.

Solution

LAF_OUT_LOUD

Prominent
Mar 22, 2019

2)9900K CANNOT be kept cool with a 120mm AIO, I don't care who tells you otherwise.
120mm AIOs only worked for pure quad core cpus and below - it also worked for some hyperthreaded models as well.
The 9900K has over twice the resources of a quad core. You'll be able to play some older titles on it, like CSGO, DOTA, and Minecraft.
The moment you try to play something like Fortnite, COD, Assassins Creed, a strategy game, or other cpu heavy title = :hot:

3)They offer to pre-overclock this cpu while still keeping the 120mm AIO in there, WTH!
That's just not going to work.
The top end air coolers can manage the 9900K at stock settings. Overclocked, it's liquid cooling, or bust - 280/360mm AIO, or custom loop. 240mm is in the same ballpark as top end air cooling.

4)Daily Deal VR i7K 2080
Since 2080 was in the name, the RTX 2080 was the gpu of choice?
If so, this goes back to point #1.
The 10, 16, and 20 series gpus are temperature sensitive; the warmer they run, the more passive their boost clocks are going to be. If they thermal throttle, it'll be much worse than that.
I don't think I'd put more than a GTX 1660 Super in there - maybe a 2060 Super.

Everything else isn't listed, so I've no idea.
Thank you, that makes sense.