Question Updating AMD Adrenalin driver on Ryzen 7 5700G causes no signal & black screen on monitor

Nov 22, 2021
This is cross-posted and will be updated with new information from any other source.

So recently I have determined an issue, after downloading windows update I noticed there was an optional driver update "AMD - Display - 27.20.14536.3" and without thinking, I went ahead and installed it. Came back to PC with black screen, no signal, no response on monitor. I reset my PC, got as far as the log-in screen for about 1 second, and black screen no signal, every reattempt got this far. Thinking it was a buggy update in general, I went in and did the whole nine yards of command prompting, safe mode, repair on advanced start up, system restore, you name it I probably did it to no avail.

My final thought was just to re-install windows, which did work. Then - reinstall update besides that optional update, it is all fine... I install the optional update by itself, and the same issues occur. This time, a system restore point was available (the restore was available and used last time, but the log-in screen to black screen still occurred after used) but I was able to roll back that update on advanced start which got me into the desktop from log-in. So, thinking windows update just trashed on me, I went to AMD website to get the drivers directly. I started with the AMD Radeon Software tool to just knab all the drivers that were wiped from the reinstall, same result, system restore. Then, I just stuck with specific Ryzen 5700G page with the recommended 21.10.2 version, same result, system restore. I then tried the optional 21.11.2 (now it is 21.11.3, this was not available during these tests), same result except on the next start my PC BSOD'd just after the splash screen with the critical process died code?? I was able to get into advanced start up for the command prompt, and it seems that system files at least for SFC Scan, DISM, and chkdsk were affected as none of these would execute correctly if at all. System restore was not available either. At this point, another windows install was the only option I knew of.

Now, looking back, I could have went into safe mode to roll back the graphics driver on device manager (although under the BSOD issue safe mode was not available, tried it as that idea just came to me during that bit but safe mode would also BSOD) instead of system restores or reinstalls, but I mostly wasn't aware of the direct cause of these issues then, not that I'm really certain of the direct cause now just going off of evidence. It is also possible that the force resetting caused the BSOD issue, but again, there was no way I could interact with the PC due to the black screen, no signal, as well as amazing Win10 needing to fail to launch windows correctly for the umpteenth time to get into advanced start. I have not went in and reobtained any other drivers just yet, but I am fairly certain there is an issue with either the driver itself or my PC components - what else could there be? Since my PC is still fairly new (few months) and my boot drive was mostly unused, on the last reinstall of windows I just cleared the whole thing of all partitions and installed as a like-new NVMe SSD to eliminate the possibility of corrupted files carrying over or what have you, just in case there might have been something there causing the BSOD. I have reinstalled the most recent windows update (not optional, the AMD display driver is still there) and that is where the PC is now, besides Discord and Steam and the essentials.

Windows version: Win10 Home 21H2 19044.1348 64x
BIOS is F13 and will be updating to the newer version shortly, these issues were not present for the whole time of F13 until the initial cause. CMOS has been cleared more than once.
The monitor is connected to the motherboard via DisplayPort, interestingly enough earlier today I tried to connect it through HDMI and had no signal. I attempted this as after the reinstall the PC no longer detects my monitor speakers and will not play sound through them or through a headset plugged into the jack on the monitor, but will produce sound through any of the audio ports on the PC/mobo connected to headphones. Secondary issue to me.

Parts list: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/awgilb01/saved/#view=r3vMVn (There is NO dGPU)

UPDATE
I have went to my motherboard support page to grab the updated F14f BIOS, updated it and attempted to install Adrenalin 21.10.2, same result as above. Then, I installed the most recent AMD APU driver on the same page, same result as above. Then, I installed the AMD Chipset Drivers on the same page, restarted PC with no issues. Then, I tried the AMD APU driver again, same result as above. Every instance of black screen, no signal was fixed by entering safe mode to roll-back the display adapter driver. Interestingly enough, the AMD APU driver on the mobo page is version 21.30.14 and released on 10/13/21, there is no direct equivalent to the AMD Ryzen support page... They both use the AMD Radeon Software installer, yet the file from the AMD Ryzen support for ver 21.10.2 is listed as an upgrade, while the file from the mobo support page for ver 21.30.14 is listed as a downgrade...

This is cross-posted and will be updated with new information from any other source.

So recently I have determined an issue, after downloading windows update I noticed there was an optional driver update "AMD - Display - 27.20.14536.3" and without thinking, I went ahead and installed it. Came back to PC with black screen, no signal, no response on monitor. I reset my PC, got as far as the log-in screen for about 1 second, and black screen no signal, every reattempt got this far. Thinking it was a buggy update in general, I went in and did the whole nine yards of command prompting, safe mode, repair on advanced start up, system restore, you name it I probably did it to no avail.

My final thought was just to re-install windows, which did work. Then - reinstall update besides that optional update, it is all fine... I install the optional update by itself, and the same issues occur. This time, a system restore point was available (the restore was available and used last time, but the log-in screen to black screen still occurred after used) but I was able to roll back that update on advanced start which got me into the desktop from log-in. So, thinking windows update just trashed on me, I went to AMD website to get the drivers directly. I started with the AMD Radeon Software tool to just knab all the drivers that were wiped from the reinstall, same result, system restore. Then, I just stuck with specific Ryzen 5700G page with the recommended 21.10.2 version, same result, system restore. I then tried the optional 21.11.2 (now it is 21.11.3, this was not available during these tests), same result except on the next start my PC BSOD'd just after the splash screen with the critical process died code?? I was able to get into advanced start up for the command prompt, and it seems that system files at least for SFC Scan, DISM, and chkdsk were affected as none of these would execute correctly if at all. System restore was not available either. At this point, another windows install was the only option I knew of.

Now, looking back, I could have went into safe mode to roll back the graphics driver on device manager (although under the BSOD issue safe mode was not available, tried it as that idea just came to me during that bit but safe mode would also BSOD) instead of system restores or reinstalls, but I mostly wasn't aware of the direct cause of these issues then, not that I'm really certain of the direct cause now just going off of evidence. It is also possible that the force resetting caused the BSOD issue, but again, there was no way I could interact with the PC due to the black screen, no signal, as well as amazing Win10 needing to fail to launch windows correctly for the umpteenth time to get into advanced start. I have not went in and reobtained any other drivers just yet, but I am fairly certain there is an issue with either the driver itself or my PC components - what else could there be? Since my PC is still fairly new (few months) and my boot drive was mostly unused, on the last reinstall of windows I just cleared the whole thing of all partitions and installed as a like-new NVMe SSD to eliminate the possibility of corrupted files carrying over or what have you, just in case there might have been something there causing the BSOD. I have reinstalled the most recent windows update (not optional, the AMD display driver is still there) and that is where the PC is now, besides Discord and Steam and the essentials.

Windows version: Win10 Home 21H2 19044.1348 64x
BIOS is F13 and will be updating to the newer version shortly, these issues were not present for the whole time of F13 until the initial cause. CMOS has been cleared more than once.
The monitor is connected to the motherboard via DisplayPort, interestingly enough earlier today I tried to connect it through HDMI and had no signal. I attempted this as after the reinstall the PC no longer detects my monitor speakers and will not play sound through them or through a headset plugged into the jack on the monitor, but will produce sound through any of the audio ports on the PC/mobo connected to headphones. Secondary issue to me.

Parts list: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/awgilb01/saved/#view=r3vMVn (There is NO dGPU)

UPDATE
I have went to my motherboard support page to grab the updated F14f BIOS, updated it and attempted to install Adrenalin 21.10.2, same result as above. Then, I installed the most recent AMD APU driver on the same page, same result as above. Then, I installed the AMD Chipset Drivers on the same page, restarted PC with no issues. Then, I tried the AMD APU driver again, same result as above. Every instance of black screen, no signal was fixed by entering safe mode to roll-back the display adapter driver. Interestingly enough, the AMD APU driver on the mobo page is version 21.30.14 and released on 10/13/21, there is no direct equivalent to the AMD Ryzen support page... They both use the AMD Radeon Software installer, yet the file from the AMD Ryzen support for ver 21.10.2 is listed as an upgrade, while the file from the mobo support page for ver 21.30.14 is listed as a downgrade...
With any problem concerning GPU/IGPU drivers, first thing is to BOOT into safe mode with networking so you can access internet.
After that use DDU https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html to uninstall drivers with option not to download drivers from MS. Upon the restart to normal mode, only universal GPU driver will load restricting to 800x600 resolution. After that you can install driver intended for IGPU/APU and on AMD site there ae drivers specific to it. Install that and not "normal" GPU driver.

D

Deleted member 14196

Yes sometimes driver updates will break your system and that’s why I don’t install new drivers unless there is some specific thing that I need that my current drivers don’t support

Nov 22, 2021
With any problem concerning GPU/IGPU drivers, first thing is to BOOT into safe mode with networking so you can access internet.
After that use DDU https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html to uninstall drivers with option not to download drivers from MS. Upon the restart to normal mode, only universal GPU driver will load restricting to 800x600 resolution. After that you can install driver intended for IGPU/APU and on AMD site there ae drivers specific to it. Install that and not "normal" GPU driver.

I did actually go through with the DDU process the other day, however I did not see a 800x600 resolution on normal start. I'll take a look as to why that occurred. And yes, I intend to use the AMD specific drivers as well, I had already been using them until this issue first occurred.

Nov 22, 2021
In DDU options, check last entry at bottom.

No gas. Here are the steps:
  • Start in Safe Mode.
  • Check "Prevent downloads of drivers from "Windows Update" when "Windows" search for a driver for a device." in DDU settings, all other settings default.
  • Click GPU and AMD in DDU main display, click Clean and Restart.
  • Upon restart, resolution is normal, not 800x600.
  • Install "Radeon Software Adrenalin Graphics 21.10.2" from AMD Ryzen 7 5700G support page.
  • Upon finishing, monitor is black with no signal.
  • Restart PC, no signal after log-in screen appears for approx. 1 second. Then, restart PC too many times to get advanced start, enter Safe Mode.
  • Open Device Manager, roll-back the "AMD Radeon Graphics" driver under Display Adapter.
  • Display Adapter reads "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter."
  • Restart PC, normal start up is fine with monitor signal.
Just to be extra sure, I repeated these steps with the network cable unplugged. Same result.

Nov 22, 2021
Last ditch effort before RMA process, I updated to ver 21.12.1, released 12/3/21, and upon 100% installation, no signal.. However, instead of just plugging in the HDMI cable to test, I disconnected the DisplayPort, then connected the HDMI.. and there was a signal. I replaced the DP without HDMI, and no signal. There is no way the cable was an issue. After some sleuthing, I found that a similar issue was fixed by reconnecting the monitor power plug.. now my DP cable provides a signal. There was never an issue with the processor. Closing this as solved.

Jan 12, 2022
It is not processor, it is a driver problem, I've been suffering your same issues since I built my PC with this APU last November. Following recommendations to install chipset and video drivers from AMD I started with auto-detect and install tool, I think it installed Radeon Software 22.1.1 and it was all faulty, then I tried with 21.10.1, a little more stable, but just like the previous driver, any given day when I turned on the computer it no longer had a video signal, I turned off the computer, turned it on again (waiting to obtain a signal with the generic video driver), then if I tried to open Radeon Software I got the message "The version of AMD Radeon Software you have launched is not compatible with your current driver" Here I am confused, I don't understand, how so it is not compatible if supposedly Radeon Software installs the driver, right? In AMD drivers site there's no VGA driver, you only get Radeon Software and nothing else related. But hey, my workaround to this was to open the device manager, Radeon Graphics usually had a marker (not a triangle), disabled it and enabled it again and fixed it temporarily, but was starting to have problems with applications. I only had to reinstall Windows once. I'm done, what I have done is completely uninstall Chipset driver and Radeon Software from root with Revo Uninstaller and went to the motherboard page, downloaded and installed Chipset and VGA drivers I found there. When I installed the video driver, AMD software installer opened and said it was going to install Radeon Software 20.50.26, then it said: Microsoft certified, major release and extensively tested. So, I installed it, it asked me to reboot and although my PC no longer has Radeon Software (it is gone), at least I have video signal to open games, emulators and applications. What I think is that the most recent AMD drivers still have conflicts with some hardware, in this case motherboards and they haven't been tested enough, so I better stick with the ones offered by the motherboard I use, they will provide drivers they have tested and work on their components. I've had like a month and half nightmare.

Last edited: