updating bios in windows xp

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

Has anybody risked a BIOS update on the K8VSE Deluxe using the windows
environment program supplied with the mb's cd?

"Pete" <peteroe@REMOVETHISwritebros.org> skrev i en meddelelse
> Has anybody risked a BIOS update on the K8VSE Deluxe using the windows
> environment program supplied with the mb's cd?

I have done it with P4C800 Deluxe and A8N-E many times without problems. Of
course I use the latest update tool.

Paul

Splendid

In article <katca1tqa77v5v1jg4vi8u5rdoeomubpoi@4ax.com>, Pete
<peteroe@REMOVETHISwritebros.org> wrote:

> Has anybody risked a BIOS update on the K8VSE Deluxe using the windows
> environment program supplied with the mb's cd?

Check the support.asus.com.tw download page, click the BIOS button,
read the "BIOS history" link. It will tell you, that if the
motherboard has certain early BIOS versions installed, you
can corrupt the BIOS by using Asus Update. You can also
check Google, and see how many victims of flashing accidents
there are.

The reason for this, could be that either the flashing code
inside the BIOS has a bug, or it has something to do with the
flashing of the boot block. The boot block doesn't get changed
on every release, and perhaps the later releases are making
changes to the boot block found in an earlier release.

I think I would use the floppy in this case. If the floppy
based method works for you the first time, you can consider
changing over to Asus Update for future updates, as long as
there are no new warnings listed against a newer BIOS file.

HTH,
Paul

Centurion

Distinguished
May 28, 2004

Pete wrote:

> Has anybody risked a BIOS update on the K8VSE Deluxe using the windows
> environment program supplied with the mb's cd?

Yep - but I didn't 'enjoy' it. There's just something inherently "wrong"
about flashing (anything) from a GUI ;) After the flash you have to reboot
anyway, so why not just make a boot floppy and reboot with that? Unless
your machine doesn't have a floppy drive....hmm. Got a card reader? Boot
from that instead :)

My K8VSE Deluxe detects my 12-in-1 card reader and allows to boot from any
media, in any slot. So I bought a whole box of small capacity (8-16MB)
cards off Ebay (was one auction for 28 cards; mainly old SD and CF) and now
I've got boot cards for every conceivable situation. Booting from the card
reader is fast too :)

HTH,

James
--
Q: Are we not men?
A: We are Vaxen.

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

"Pete" <peteroe@REMOVETHISwritebros.org> wrote in message
> Has anybody risked a BIOS update on the K8VSE Deluxe using the windows
> environment program supplied with the mb's cd?

I think you would be safer jumping from the 30th floor of a tower block!

Don

Since asus posted the flash bios utility by windows, i have flashed several
M/B with windows 98. ME, and XP home & Pro without any problem.
I will suggest you to flash your bios in "Save Mode"

JC