[SOLVED] Updating Bios on a 470 motherboard (prime pro) after 4 years

darkking791

Honorable
Jun 8, 2018
Hello guys im thinking to buy a rx 6650 nitro+ because my rx 580 starting to show age ... right now the 6650 is around 450euro in my country when it reach around 400 im gonna do the jump.
on other thought my r5 2600x shouldnt be a problem i believe though im planning for r5 5600x sometime in the future and one more thing before we talk about the bios does the rx 6650 is worth it on a pcie 3.0 motherboards? from what i have researched im will lose few fps but not much.
And so about the bios update i havent updated my bios the last 2 years ..... i have the prime x470 pro my last bios update was for the agesa 1.0.0.6 for the second generation cpus (2000s). after that i didnt do another update.
Now because of resize bar i want to upgrade bios again , so my main question is should i do a one go update? straight to the last one? or do a more safe(?) approach with 5 updates jump.
i have the bios 4204 - prime x470 pro
1st choice is to go from 4204 to 6042 (21 bios update jump)
2nd choice is to from 4204 to 4804 - 5601-5809-5837-6042 (5 bios update in a row) im thinking that the 2nd choice more wise though i dont have a ups and im not that comfortable to do some many updates without one.
which choice u think its the best one.

EDIT:
i finished the update i needed TWO updates because i couldnt make it work with only one, when i tried to update straight to 6042 it didnt work (couldnt support the file) neither when i tried with 5809 (through bios internet update option) same file message.
so then i tried 5603 and it worked then i update to 6042...
4204---> 5603----> 6042.

asus should add a small note about the big bios jumps..

Last edited:
Reactions: Diddly
Solution
Missing option in the Choices:

3. Whatever the manufacturer requires.

Some BIOS updates require a previous level or other change.
Not all can be done directly to the newest BIOS version.
Hello guys im thinking to buy a rx 6650 nitro+ because my rx 580 starting to show age ... right now the 6650 is around 450euro in my country when it reach around 400 im gonna do the jump.
on other thought my r5 2600x shouldnt be a problem i believe though im planning for r5 5600x sometime in the future and one more thing before we talk about the bios does the rx 6650 is worth it on a pcie 3.0 motherboards? from what i have researched im will lose few fps but not much.
And so about the bios update i havent updated my bios the last 2 years ..... i have the prime x470 pro my last bios update was for the agesa 1.0.0.6 for the second generation cpus (2000s). after that i didnt do another update.
Now because of resize bar i want to upgrade bios again , so my main question is should i do a one go update? straight to the last one? or do a more safe(?) approach with 5 updates jump.
i have the bios 4204 - prime x470 pro
1st choice is to go from 4204 to 6042 (21 bios update jump)
2nd choice is to from 4204 to 4804 - 5601-5809-5837-6042 (5 bios update in a row) im thinking that the 2nd choice more wise though i dont have a ups and im not that comfortable to do some many updates without one.
which choice u think its the best one.
Just jump to the latest bios, since its not incremental fix, any fix brought before usually is also included on the latest update. also dont worry the X470 still support from the very low Zen architecture to Zen3x3D on the latest bios with agesa 1.2.0.7. Just make sure after you update the bios to the latest also update the chipset driver to the latest (4.06.10) from here.

darkking791

Honorable
Jun 8, 2018
Just jump to the latest bios, since its not incremental fix, any fix brought before usually is also included on the latest update. also dont worry the X470 still support from the very low Zen architecture to Zen3x3D on the latest bios with agesa 1.2.0.7. Just make sure after you update the bios to the latest also update the chipset driver to the latest (4.06.10) from here.
every few weeks im updating all my drivers from the sources (audio/gpu/chipset/lan etc) so shouldnt be a problem the only thing i havent update for a while was the bios. So im wondering should i upgrade right now with my rx 580, except the new features (rebar) i don't expect any cpu performance uplilft...

BIOS Updates are different than windows updates, the bios will be erased every time you flash the bios and then it will be written in a chip. Doesn't make a difference if you flash all Boos or just the latest. There are some motherboards which need to be flashed with more than the latest because of the flash process which can be different over time, but not yours.

Reactions: darkking791

darkking791

Honorable
Jun 8, 2018
BIOS Updates are different than windows updates, the bios will be erased every time you flash the bios and then it will be written in a chip. Doesn't make a difference if you flash all Boos or just the latest. There are some motherboards which need to be flashed with more than the latest because of the flash process which can be different over time, but not yours.
I Didnt know that , thanks so with my prime x470 im good to go with only a big jump. From my understanding i shouldt expect any cpu performance uplift right? Only the few new feature like the (sam/rebar etc).

darkking791

Honorable
Jun 8, 2018
Missing option in the Choices:

3. Whatever the manufacturer requires.

Some BIOS updates require a previous level or other change.
Not all can be done directly to the newest BIOS version.
yes i will check if any bios requires a prior bios update before i do anything. Also should i delete any bios setting's changes before the update?.

darkking791

Honorable
Jun 8, 2018
i need some help i tried to update twice and it told that isnt a proper file ... the first time i downloaded the lated bios and u put it after extract in a fat32 usb flash drive (empty and formated) .... the second time i tried to do so with internet through the bios it tried to instal the 5809 for some reason and even so it show a message sayting that it isnt a correct file... why?

it show a message sayting that it isnt a correct file... why?

You ought to go to the motherboard manufacturer's web site and very carefully read everything you find there about how to update the BIOS.

It's a sensitive and cranky thing where bad stuff can happen.

I think in some cases you are required to rename the BIOS....that's just a for instance. I have no idea what hoops you will have to jump through for your particular motherboard.

Reactions: darkking791

darkking791

Honorable
Jun 8, 2018
You ought to go to the motherboard manufacturer's web site and very carefully read everything you find there about how to update the BIOS.

I think in some cases you are required to rename the BIOS....that's just a for instance. I have no idea what hoops you will have to jump through for your particular motherboard.

it worked i needed TWO updates in the end.... from 4204 to 5603 and then to 6042
i couldnt make it work straight to 6042 or 5809.