sdedu77

Respectable
Dec 9, 2018
Hi. I have an 6200 Pro MT with a proprietary PSU rated at 320w, 80+ gold.
CPU: i3-2100, 65w tdp
GPU: integrated graphics (HD Graphics 2000)
RAM: 2x2gb DDR3 1333mhz
Fans: 2x92mm, one for exhaust and one for the cooler.
Cooler: stock (HP?) cooler (basically a fan in a tool-less shroud connected to the heatsink).
No other expansion cards or devices connected regularly. I also disconnected the optical drive.

That being said, I'm planning to buy a dedicated graphics (since the power supply has no 6 pin connector, the best option is a GTX 1050 ti).
The problem is I'm not sure the PSU can handle it. This is a picture of its specs: So, if I'm right, it has a 16A rail for the cpu and another 16A rail for the rest of the components, but combined they supply only 26A.
I ran the Outervision PSU calculator and, with my current config, they recommend 324W at load, 16.6A on the 12V rail.
I decided to play with it and got some interesting results: w/o cpu and w/o gpu, on the 12V rail showed only 5.6A; w/o cpu but with gpu showed 11.6.
So, the cpu needs 5A, the gpu 6A, and the rest of the system 5.6. (I think I sound a bit silly, I could have just divided the tdp by 12, but I just want want to be sure).

The question is: is that enough or just not worth the risk? They are load values after all, and I don't really plan to play demanding games at very high settings.
Also, can I upgrade the cpu to an i5-2400 or 2500? I know this means extra 105w on an old PSU, but I've seen people with HP 8200 SFF (240w PSU) running AAA titles and drawing only about 140w or so in similar configuration (i5+1050ti)
Thank you in advace!

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
The processor and the platform is quite old. I wouldn't rely on that stickered wattage(number) after about 9 years of use/abuse. You would need a new unit, but with that being said, you're still going to have to drop in a GPU lower in TDP than the GTX1050Ti. Mind sharing where you've seen people tax the SFF units with a discrete GTX1050Ti? YouTube doesn't count since they are merely a short video. We're going to need links to a threads/users who have used the system day in and day out.

sdedu77

Respectable
Dec 9, 2018
Hi, sorry I'm a little late.
YouTube doesn't count since they are merely a short video

Unfortunately, YouTube was pretty much my only source of inspiration, apart from this post where STRMfrmXMN replied, which made the now old psu tier list on LinusTechTips, but my argument is weak anyway.
Apart from that, a replacement HP unit option goes, because one will be $100, enough to get a much better third party one. The problem is that HP also uses proprietary motherboards, that don't have a standard 24 pin connector. I heard about adapters like this. They say it is only for 8000 series; however the spare psu is apparently compatible with both 6200 and 8200/8300 (here).
Note that my cables are a bit different: the 6 pin one (P1, marked PWR on the mb) looks the same, but the 4 pin (P2, marked PWRCMD on the mb) has different colored cables (in this order, from left to right): (none), (none), violet, white, white+red, whereas in the video it is black, red , yellow, green, green, green (the last 2 seemingly to bypass the fan error code). The third cable (marked PWRCPU on mb) seems pretty much standard, although the brown wires are usually yellow.
They say that it is compatible with HP 6200 MT, but I have doubts. I guess there might be no work around for this?

Last edited:
There is more than just the power supply wattage issue, OEM systems may not have the full PCIe 16x power rating, also the motherboards do not accept video cards as easily, and may not work with newer cards or even specific brands of card ranges can have issues.

What I recommend for OEM systems is to pull the CPU, RAM and disk from the system, and get a motherboard/case/power supply if the goal is go get a system with a gaming card for lowest possible price. Or just get a used gaming system someone is selling or parting out on craigslist.