[SOLVED] Upgrade Advice: i7 6700K + Z170 Mobo

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kevkas

Honorable
Oct 25, 2015
Hi, I'm looking for some advice, I'm thinking about possibly upgrading CPU + Motherboard in the near future (4 to 6 months, although I could wait more if necessary).

First and foremost, let's get the GPU out of the way: I had a 980 Ti, it died a couple of months ago, so I will be buying an Ampere card, I'm pretty sure I'll be buying a 3080, so my idea is to get it to have a GPU again (I'm currently using my the integrated gpu in the 6700K... rip) but I also wanted to upgrade my CPU + Mobo to get a CPU that's a little bit newer while also getting support for PCIe 4.0.

Approximate Purchase Date: for the GPU probably October, November at most (or when they become available where I live). For the CPU + Mobo... 3 to 6 months maybe? I can wait more if necessary.

System Usage: Gaming, and 3D modeling/rendering (Maya mostly).

Are you buying a monitor: No. I have an Acer Predator, 1440p 144Hz with G-sync, I'm pretty happy with it.

System Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k 4.4 Ghz
CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper EVO 212
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7
RAM: 32GB 3200Mhz
GPU: No GPU at the moment (as I said, it died, I used to have a 980Ti), I'm planning on buying a RTX 3080
PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850W G2 80+ Gold
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A
Storage: SSD 250GB for the OS, 2 TB HDD, and an extra 1 TB SSD

Parts to Upgrade: CPU and Motherboard. Probably a CPU cooler as well (unless my Hyper EVO 212 can be salvaged from my current rig?)

Do you need to buy OS: Nope

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I live in Argentina so forget about specific websites in the US or stuff like that. I'll have to get the parts from local stores here.

Parts Preferences: I'm mostly familiar with Intel for CPUs, and Gigabyte for motherboards (don't bother suggesting any ASUS motherboards, I've had plenty of bad experiences with ASUS, won't buy from them again).

Overclocking: Probably, but only slightly. I don't like watercooling so I want to keep using air-cooling. My previous CPU was a 2500K, and now 6700K, so I like to go for those kind of processors.

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 2560x1440p, 144hz, G-Sync

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Since I HAVE to buy a GPU anyway, I figured it would be a good time to start thining about upgrading my CPU and motherboard. I don't HAVE to upgrade those two right now, so I can wait a bit, ideally I would like to buy a CPU which lasts me for 4 to 5 more years, I know DDR5 will probably come out by then but I figured if I can buy a decent CPU now or in a few months, I might be able to hold on to my 32GB of DDR4 RAM and it'll save me some bucks there. Also, since my PSU is decent, and I don't have to buy a case, storage, monitor, or worry about the GPU (since I will be buying one anyway), it makes sense to think about upgrading CPU and motherboard to do some futureproofing mostly. Ideally I would like to move on from 4 cores 8 threads to something with more cores as 4c/8t will start becoming less standard in the following years.

By the way, since I mentioned I am mostly familiar with Intel, I'm not too knowledgeable about AMD at the moment, I know they have been releasing great CPUs lately but I don't know much about AMD motherboards. I have heard that Ryzen 4000 is supposed to be released soon, so I don't know if that would be the best choice or if it would be better to wait until early 2021 for something better from Intel or even AMD as well. Ideally I would like to get more cores, but not lose the base frequency of 4.0 (even though I'm running my CPU at 4.4 at the moment), but the idea is to not have to go below my current frequency specs-wise if possible.

This is mostly a 'what should I aim for if I will be pairing it with a 3080 considering I currently have an i7 6700K'? So it's not an imminent purchase.

By the way, I didn't mention budget but I assume I am aiming for top tier CPU performance, not like f*ck you money but still, a decent CPU and Mobo to last me several years.

Last edited:
Solution
Yeah, I can understand that, still it depends on the resolution you are running, if you are on 1080p... honestly, a 2070 is really decent, and most probably the new features announced with the new cards will be avaliable for the 20 series. If you are on 1440p or even 4k... yeah, in that case it's a tougher pill to swallow.

Ah, I didn't know the cooler was decent for Ryzen 7 and 9, honestly based on what I've been talking with you about (thanks by the way, I'm finding your info really helpful) I think my best options at the moment are either wait a bit until Ryzen 4000 is released and check those reviews, or at the most wait until Q1 2021 to see what Intel has to offer... but based on Intel's history in the past 2 years... I have...
Yeah I hear you, I liked the Phanteks P400S in most aspects (nice big interior space, which came in handy for these new gpus which are huge, basement for the psu, decent cable management, plus a couple extra smaller features), but then they released the P400A I think last year and I was like: 'I could really use that airflow front panel', after many insisted to the company they finally decided to release the mesh front panel alone for purchase which is compatible, I was pleasently surprised by that, and it does give it nicer airflow.

Since my older gpu died, I am particularly sensible to temps now. :/

😆

Yeah the Corsair fans aren't actually case fans, I bought them some years ago, but I bought the static preassue fans (instead of the aiflow ones) because the front panel was the old one, the P400A one didn't even exist at that time. They are PWM though, so I'll use Smart Fan 5 to handle them.
Corsair isn't that generous :/. 275R airflow doesn't have an interchangeable front panel with 275r. I'll buy a Lian Li next time probably, they've started getting available with good stock in my country

Kevkas

Honorable
Oct 25, 2015
Corsair isn't that generous :/. 275R airflow doesn't have an interchangeable front panel with 275r.

Yeah that's why I was pleasently surprised, I don't have much experience with cases but I think it's very unusual for a company to sell interchangeable front panels, it surely saved me from wanting to swtich to another case with better airflow, the P400A is basically the SAME case, just has the better front panel, and RGB fans included, but the rest is identical, to the point of the front panel mounting mechanism, so it was very decent of them.

Corsair actually released a new airflow case, I came accross a few reviews of it recently, the Corsair 4000D Airflow, seems to have good reviews.

Lian Li has nice cases as well, I've heard they are a bit hard to find and they are a bit expensive, but apparently they have great quality.

Yeah that's why I was pleasently surprised, I don't have much experience with cases but I think it's very unusual for a company to sell interchangeable front panels, it surely saved me from wanting to swtich to another case with better airflow, the P400A is basically the SAME case, just has the better front panel, and RGB fans included, but the rest is identical, to the point of the front panel mounting mechanism, so it was very decent of them.

Corsair actually released a new airflow case, I came accross a few reviews of it recently, the Corsair 4000D Airflow, seems to have good reviews.

Lian Li has nice cases as well, I've heard they are a bit hard to find and they are a bit expensive, but apparently they have great quality.
The remorse is real. I bought this case in June
4000D came out in September. For the same darn price. I'm thinking of modding my front panel. Getting it cut and getting a mesh layer put on it. Otherwise Lancool II Mesh it is. Way more SSD slots, fan slots than the 4000D. Fun fact : came in stock a month after I bought the 275R. FOR $20 MORE

Kevkas

Honorable
Oct 25, 2015
Fun fact : came in stock a month after I bought the 275R. FOR $20 MORE

Yeah I would have remorse too I think, both because of the Lancool II Mesh being in stock a moth after for $20 bucks more, and also because of Corsair releasing an airflow-oriented case a few months after you bought the 275R...

Take your time to pick a new case, see if you can sell the 275R, perhaps you can get a few bucks for it. Cases (and monitors too in that regard) are things that we don't normally change for YEARS, sometimes even decades... unlike cpus, gpus, etc.

Reactions: Prad_Bitt
Yeah I would have remorse too I think, both because of the Lancool II Mesh being in stock a moth after for $20 bucks more, and also because of Corsair releasing an airflow-oriented case a few months after you bought the 275R...

Take your time to pick a new case, see if you can sell the 275R, perhaps you can get a few bucks for it. Cases (and monitors too in that regard) are things that we don't normally change for YEARS, sometimes even decades... unlike cpus, gpus, etc.
Yeah. It's harder when you're barely out of high school from a middle class family in India. I so much as mention selling my case my dad will lose his mind lol. I'll have to earn some of my own and cover the loss while hoping I can sell this off to a friend who's about to build. In the meantime, I'm using it without the front panel on :/

Kevkas

Honorable
Oct 25, 2015
Yeah. It's harder when you're barely out of high school from a middle class family in India. I so much as mention selling my case my dad will lose his mind lol. I'll have to earn some of my own and cover the loss while hoping I can sell this off to a friend who's about to build. In the meantime, I'm using it without the front panel on :/

Yeah I understand, I live in Argentina and things haven't been going so well here for the last... like... Idk... 20 years more or less? Dollar exchange rate has gone to hell, in a way that's why I was hesitant to upgrade the rest of my rig in the first place. Funny thing is, I quit my job a month ago, and NOW I am basically forced to upgrade anyway because otherwise I can't use the gpu I bought, and I also can't continue studying (3D design) so I NEED the gpu, and the current mobo PCI-e slots aren't working... not much I can do (I even checked if I could find the same old mobo for cheap... only 1 person selling it and it was waaay overpriced... I refuse to overpay for a 5 year old motherboard).

It takes time to buy things we like, if you are out of high school getting a job will bring some stability to your life, and eventually you'll get some spare money to spend on the parts you want. The good thing is, as I said, that there are parts that ARE kind of future-proofed in a way, the case being the main one, but only if you are satisfied with it. For now, if it's only the front panel that's giving you a hard time... yeah, just use it without it, some people even use their cases without the side panel to get better airflow, nothing wrong with either solution.

Yeah I understand, I live in Argentina and things haven't been going so well here for the last... like... Idk... 20 years more or less? Dollar exchange rate has gone to hell, in a way that's why I was hesitant to upgrade the rest of my rig in the first place. Funny thing is, I quit my job a month ago, and NOW I am basically forced to upgrade anyway because otherwise I can't use the gpu I bought, and I also can't continue studying (3D design) so I NEED the gpu, and the current mobo PCI-e slots aren't working... not much I can do (I even checked if I could find the same old mobo for cheap... only 1 person selling it and it was waaay overpriced... I refuse to overpay for a 5 year old motherboard).

It takes time to buy things we like, if you are out of high school getting a job will bring some stability to your life, and eventually you'll get some spare money to spend on the parts you want. The good thing is, as I said, that there are parts that ARE kind of future-proofed in a way, the case being the main one, but only if you are satisfied with it. For now, if it's only the front panel that's giving you a hard time... yeah, just use it without it, some people even use their cases without the side panel to get better airflow, nothing wrong with either solution.
I can't do the side panel thing, that's gonna bring all the dust in the entire city into my case. And my city has "filthy air" as per Donald Trump, and it's true. And in India, a job after high school is only for those who have family businesses or aren't going to college at all. Veeeeery different culture here. Something like YT or stock trading is probably realistic though lol. The front panel off doesn't look bad at all. The RGB can truly shine now

Kevkas

Honorable
Oct 25, 2015
And in India, a job after high school is only for those who have family businesses or aren't going to college at all. Veeeeery different culture here.

Yeah, very different indeed. :/

The front panel off doesn't look bad at all. The RGB can truly shine now

Nice @_@

My Corsair case fans are a bit older, so they only have blue lights (I still like them though, goes well with my build because I use UV led strips inside, so no need for that much rgb rainbow all over the place in my case).

Yeah, very different indeed. :/

Nice @_@

My Corsair case fans are a bit older, so they only have blue lights (I still like them though, goes well with my build because I use UV led strips inside, so no need for that much rgb rainbow all over the place in my case).
Hehe. Fans costly as heck, especially corsair. I thought might as well get my money's worth and flex those fans on myself