[SOLVED] Upgrade an old office pc?

Nov 29, 2021
I have an old HP Compaq Pro 6300 office PC with i5 3470, GTX 1050ti and 8 GB ram and I'm planning to upgrade motherboard, ram and in the future power supply and processor but I have some questions. The case is opened on the left side of the PC so the motherboard and graphics card is inverted, if i bought a normal case and motherboard, can i flip the graphics card so that the fans are pointing down or do i need to buy a new graphics card too? Or should i just keep it all inverted and buy parts meant for an inverted case?

Solution
It's not inverted it's an OEM form of the BTX standard. You won't find a retail motherboard that will fit in that case. Imho the only thing worth salvaging from that system for an upgrade would be the GPU maybe the storage. So plan on atleast a case, motherboard, cpu, ram and psu when you upgrade and of the old system has an hdd you'll likely want a ssd as a boot drive.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Do not attempt to put 'standard' parts into an OEM case. Along with fitment, there are often issues with header connections and power connectors being OEM instead of on standard.

Decent looking cases can readily be found for $25 and up. It's worth buying one not to deal with the headache.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Suspiciously sounds like a BTX motherboard, but the CPU age is wrong.

Either way, if you are buying all that anyway, a new $50 chassis is a small price to pay. Will certainly make it easier to upgrade in the future. Only real CPU upgrade option is the 3770. So if you are planning on a motherboard that works with the i5-3470, you should just save up your money and make a new CPU/Motherboard/RAM/PSU/Chassis purchase all at once.

bignastyid

Titan
It's not inverted it's an OEM form of the BTX standard. You won't find a retail motherboard that will fit in that case. Imho the only thing worth salvaging from that system for an upgrade would be the GPU maybe the storage. So plan on atleast a case, motherboard, cpu, ram and psu when you upgrade and of the old system has an hdd you'll likely want a ssd as a boot drive.

Solution

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Hold up.... Fans pointing down is the normal orientation for a GTX 1050!

Yes you can absolutely keep the graphics card, but forget about keeping the power supply. It will not work with a normal motherboard.

Now you have a choice whether to keep your existing CPU and RAM and transfer it to a new (old) motherboard, or sell those parts on ebay and go for a new motherboard, CPU and RAM bundle.

Honestly a 3470 is really too slow for that GPU already so I think it might be time to say goodbye to everything except the GPU.

On the plus side, a GTX1050 is super difficult and expensive to get hold of right now so your new PC is already off to a great start :)

Reactions: johanpeter123
Nov 29, 2021
Hold up.... Fans pointing down is the normal orientation for a GTX 1050!

Yes you can absolutely keep the graphics card, but forget about keeping the power supply. It will not work with a normal motherboard.

Now you have a choice whether to keep your existing CPU and RAM and transfer it to a new (old) motherboard, or sell those parts on ebay and go for a new motherboard, CPU and RAM bundle.

Honestly a 3470 is really too slow for that GPU already so I think it might be time to say goodbye to everything except the GPU.

On the plus side, a GTX1050 is super difficult and expensive to get hold of right now so your new PC is already off to a great start :)
Yes im thinking of buying like i5 10400f and motherboard, 16gb ram, better power supply and case. I hope youre right about that gpu orientation, it seems kinda weird to put it upside down but im not the expert here, am i🤣 Thanks for the help!

I have an old HP Compaq Pro 6300 office PC with i5 3470, GTX 1050ti and 8 GB ram and I'm planning to upgrade motherboard, ram and in the future power supply and processor but I have some questions. The case is opened on the left side of the PC so the motherboard and graphics card is inverted, if i bought a normal case and motherboard, can i flip the graphics card so that the fans are pointing down or do i need to buy a new graphics card too? Or should i just keep it all inverted and buy parts meant for an inverted case?
How high up the upgrade ladder do you want to go?
If your talking about gaming forget it.....start over from ground zero.