teancumtbh

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2007
Before I dive in and build my own big system, I'm going to upgrade my existing PC for my son. Here are the current specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon(B) 3200+ @ 2.2GHz
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS P4G533
PSU: Antec Basiq 350W
VIDEO: GeForce MX440 8x AGP 64MB
MEMORY: 1GB Generic

The case is from an HP Pavilion a430n. It's got 2 optical drives, a 4x DVD Writer and a CD-ROM, which is utterly worthless IMO. The PC is almost 5 years old, and I'd like it to last as long as possible. According to my wife, I have a total budget of $200 to spend upgrading this. I spent $25 on another 512MB of memory to bring it to 1GB, and I spent $35 on the PSU, which leaves me with $140 to spend on the video card, motherboard, and CPU.

I don't know what the best way to spend the money would be. I could just go for the best video card that the system will handle as is, and forget the motherboard and CPU, or I could go with a less expensive video card and replace the motherboard and CPU.

What do you guys think? Any ideas on how I can get what I want for about $140?

teancumtbh

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2007
One more thing I forgot to ask. I have the XP backup discs that I made for my PC, but I don't know as they will install on a new motherboard. If not, then it doesn't make much sense to go with the full upgrade as I won't srping for a new OS.

Just to let your know the Athlon 3200 2.2 can not be upgraded. You have the king of the Athlon socket A CPUs. You might upgrade the video card, but I certainly wouldn't spend $200 on an Athlon socket A. I'm running a 3200 I built years ago in the next room. I certainly wouldn't spend any money on it. You probably couldn't fidn a better MB than you have new. And Athlon socket A processors do not exist new. Maybe a Sempron. HTH.

teancumtbh

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2007
So what's the best you can get for $140 that is still usable with this system? I'd like to be able to run at least Oblivion at decent settings.