Question upgrade compatibility help | i5 9600k v ryzen 5 3600X

JK91381

Honorable
May 25, 2015
hello guys, i need help. recently i decided to upgrade my cpu from an FX-8320E to a Ryzen 5 3600X. however, making this upgrade requires me to change my MOBO and my ram. before i make this upgrade, I want to know if I am making the right moves with the parts i am purchasing and I would very much appreciate your guidance. For some more info, I play games like Destiny 2, COD BO4, CSGO, OW, Warface, LoL.

OLD SPECS (not including case and cpu fan):
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 500GB SSD; WD Blue 1TB; 120 GB Kingston SSD
EVGA 500 W1 80+
EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB SSC
AMD FX-8320E
Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P
Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB Single DDR3 1600 x2

UPGRADES:
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 6-Core (with wraith spire cooler) OR i5
MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200

One concern I have is that I know that the Ryzen CPUs work with ram differently, as opposed to their Intel counterparts. I have tried to do some research, but I don't completely understand this difference. Right now on amazon, the 3200 MHz version of the ram that I am upgrading to is out of stock. Should I wait for them to restock for the 200 MHz difference, or will I be fine with the 3000 MHz. I know some games run faster with faster ram and I would like to bet the most out of this upgrade, as I probably will not upgrade for a while after this. (also for some reason the 3200 MHz sticks are cheaper than the 3000 MHz sticks)

I am also torn on the i5 9600k and the ryzen 3600x. I did some research and I saw that the Ryzen cpu was able to keep up with the i5, while using only 40-60% usage, compared to 70-80% usage for the i5. I guess this means that the ryzen cpu is good for multitasking (streaming, recording, etc), while the i5 is good for pure gaming. They're both at that $200 range (with the i5 being a little bit more expensive) so it really comes down to what im gonna use it for but with that being said, the ryzen cpu does being more to the table in terms of specs.

Another question I have is if it is worth buying the 3600, rather than the 3600X so that I have some more budget to buy a third-party cpu cooler. I know that buying a third party cooler is usually tailored towards people who plan to overclock their cpu, but personally, I would like to just keep my system cool, as to avoid any thermal throttling. I also heard that the wraith spire cooler is actually a very good cpu cooler, and with that in mind, is it even worth buying a separate cpu cooler if i were to overclock with the 3600X (using the spire)?

The 9600k is still faster than the 3600X in games but not in anything else. Most games though it is still faster which is surprising to me that it can still hold its ground. If you even think about streaming the 3600X is a no brainer. At this pricepoint or there abouts anything but gaming the AMD chip wins. Therefore I vote AMD unless you absolutely will not be streaming/video editing.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOZH9vXajnk

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-9600K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-3600/4031vs4040
https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-9600K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-3600X/4031vs4041

Dec 26, 2019
Also remember ryzen has a ram problem, no one gave me any passmark numbers on the 3600x, but I have a 2600 and a 9600k, and the ram latency on the 2600 is 70 ish and the intel is 17 to 21. From the little i can find the 3rd gen ryzen has higher ram latency than the 2nd did. Also remember that in a month the 10600k is coming out which is 6 cores 12 threads.

If you arent going to overclock the i5 to 5ghz, I wouldnt bother with intel. You also never said what resoultion you game at. If you are trying to game at 4k, then i did a test once between a 8350 and a 6700k 4.7ghz with a 1080ti and the results were it didnt matter in most games, minus black desert, and arma 2 and 3. If you are gaming at 1080 60hz, then again I honestly dont think it actually even matters which one you pick.

I can also tell you this, I dono what other people do that is making a 9600k at 5ghz max out, but I was able to have my kids play job simulator on the vr helmet, while i was browsing the internet, running youtube videos, and I also loaded up sally face just to see, none of it had a problem.

I 100 percent do not recommend buying a 9600k atm at all, with the 10600k around the corner which will be the same price, which in turn would drop the 9600k to like 150. The 10600k will prolly overclock to 5.1 ghz easy, and has the 6 extra threads that are almost meaningless lol. I have a 8700k 5ghz too, and a 2600, at no time ever did I max any of them.

So unless you are trying to run those games at once, like playing 3 at once, then I dont see what benefit you will get from ryzen. Also I just found this on here so take that into account.

"Hi guys. I "upgraded" from a 6 year old set up - I5- 4670K (overclocked to 4.1ghz) with DDR3 1600Mhz ram to Ryzen 3600x with DDR4 3200Mhz ram last week.

Everything runs fine. I was expecting massive perfomance gains over the 6 year old system but in games my FPS is largely the same or worse. I have done some synthetic benchmarks over the weekend, pefomance with the 3600x is worse than the old i5-4670k !

The only game I have seen a big improvement in is Battlfield 1

eg Tomb raider benchmark tool intel 91fps, Ryzen 85fps

Total War Three kingdoms battle benchmark tool intel average fps 54.5, Ryzen 48.6

Unigine Heaven benchmark intel Score 2540 FPS 100, min 32 max 188, Ryzen Score 2220, FPS 88.1, min 42 max 153

I have installed all the necessary drivers etc. The only thing I haven't done is reinstall windows (I simply switched drives from the intel system to Ryzen although I did unintall all the old intel drivers). Is this the issue because I have read in numerous places it is not necessary to reinstall windows 10"

He never did repost the scores with a reinstalled windows, but i dont think it would matter, I have owned enough ryzens and intels to know ryzen isnt gonna beat it at max fps.

So unless you are shooting for 120 + fps at 1080, none of this even matters, or VR, if you plan on doing VR, the intel will be a better choice 1000 percent, since it will get better max fps, and min fps, with lower ram latency. Trust me there, you dont want to get skips on vr games haha, or have high ms on any of it, unless you have your vr legs, because it 100 percent can make you seriously sick. Before I knew what I was doing I played resident evil on the playstation with smooth movement, and that didnt skip but it is low fps, and i was sick for a entire day. I literally had to lay in bed the rest of the day.

I also dont recommend wasting money on a PSU, its not gonna matter unless you are trying to get like 5.5ghz under some extreme cooling. My 8700k has been overclocked to 5ghz for a year running as my pfsense router on a vmachine, and a server. It uses a garbage 20 dollar 500 watt evga psu i got from best buy lol. My current computer uses a garbage gigabtye 650 watt bronze that came with a ibuypower computer. I run the cpu at 5ghz all cores all the time no c states, and the 2080 rtx 205 core, 900 memory overclock, and have for like 6 months. Mind you I switched GPUs in it, but the 9600k stayed the same. I had a 2070 at first, sold that, bought a 5700xt, and now i have a 2080.

I remember one time i had my CPU running on a garbage dell 300 watt psu, and I took a garbage hp PSU and hotwired it to start to run the GPU, that worked fine for the length i used that computer haha which was like 3 months.

There is only one case I remember a high end PSU helping me, I had a 290 bios overwritten to a 290x, I also had a water block on it, and a delidded 3570k overcloked to 4.5. I ran my spring water into both blocks, which was some where around like 38f, and was able to get the 290x to a huge overclock. I had a cheap 600 watt bronze psu, and the computer would always crash. I bought a high end 1000watt gold psu, and it was able to run it with out crashing.

If you are just going to run them stock, especially the ryzen which uses a hell of alot less power since its 7nm, a PSU is the least of your worries. With a 1060, any 400 watt psu would run that. I mean look at it this way your 8350 uses alot more power than a ryzen does, and your computer ran fine.

That 500 watt one you have, would 1000 percent run a 9600k at 5ghz and a 1060.

Last edited:
Reactions: norcalsc
Jan 22, 2020
hello guys, i need help. recently i decided to upgrade my cpu from an FX-8320E to a Ryzen 5 3600X. however, making this upgrade requires me to change my MOBO and my ram. before i make this upgrade, I want to know if I am making the right moves with the parts i am purchasing and I would very much appreciate your guidance. For some more info, I play games like Destiny 2, COD BO4, CSGO, OW, Warface, LoL.

OLD SPECS (not including case and cpu fan):
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 500GB SSD; WD Blue 1TB; 120 GB Kingston SSD
EVGA 500 W1 80+
EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB SSC
AMD FX-8320E
Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P
Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB Single DDR3 1600 x2

UPGRADES:
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 6-Core (with wraith spire cooler) OR i5
MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200

One concern I have is that I know that the Ryzen CPUs work with ram differently, as opposed to their Intel counterparts. I have tried to do some research, but I don't completely understand this difference. Right now on amazon, the 3200 MHz version of the ram that I am upgrading to is out of stock. Should I wait for them to restock for the 200 MHz difference, or will I be fine with the 3000 MHz. I know some games run faster with faster ram and I would like to bet the most out of this upgrade, as I probably will not upgrade for a while after this. (also for some reason the 3200 MHz sticks are cheaper than the 3000 MHz sticks)

I am also torn on the i5 9600k and the ryzen 3600x. I did some research and I saw that the Ryzen cpu was able to keep up with the i5, while using only 40-60% usage, compared to 70-80% usage for the i5. I guess this means that the ryzen cpu is good for multitasking (streaming, recording, etc), while the i5 is good for pure gaming. They're both at that $200 range (with the i5 being a little bit more expensive) so it really comes down to what im gonna use it for but with that being said, the ryzen cpu does being more to the table in terms of specs.

Another question I have is if it is worth buying the 3600, rather than the 3600X so that I have some more budget to buy a third-party cpu cooler. I know that buying a third party cooler is usually tailored towards people who plan to overclock their cpu, but personally, I would like to just keep my system cool, as to avoid any thermal throttling. I also heard that the wraith spire cooler is actually a very good cpu cooler, and with that in mind, is it even worth buying a separate cpu cooler if i were to overclock with the 3600X (using the spire)?
Im actually in a few weeks making an upgrade to the ryzen 5 3600 from an i5-8400 the 9600k is a 6core/6thread were the 3600 is 6core/12 thread i would recommend the 3600 as games now days need more threads and plus more cores more threads better performance plus not only budget wise right now but with the new amd cpus right around the corner if they are am4 which theoretically should be with a mobo bios update your looking at a pretty good upgrade path with the mobo and cpu and yes the stock cooler is really good my friend has the 3600 and it stays really cool...however on ram i am not having any luck find info with ram and the 3600 i know i have seen for best performance to do 3200 mhz and then a few have said it does not matter personally i run 2666mhz and i know some games run faster with faster ram so im gonna do it to be safe and one last thing the ryzen 5 3600 comes clocked at 3.6 GHz for the base and 4.2 GHz for the boost, the 3600x runs 200 MHz faster at 3.8 GHz and 4.4 GHz, so a 6% base clock increase and a 5% boost clock increase, and stock cooler is a bit better so personally i think it depends on your budget what kind of gaming your doing and if your overclocking im going for the 3600 as i dont really over clock and i haven't jumped on the whole 4k ultrawide gaming train yet....i run 1920 by 1080 144 hrz monitor and hell i dont even play anywere close to max graphics settings i like to have that extra fps when playing competitive fps shooters etc....anyways its completely up to you and hope everything goes well! O...and one more thing the 3600 is really good for say your single pc streaming or recording stuff that can be cpu intensive just a heads up!