[SOLVED] Upgrade CPU without changing Motherboard or reinstalling windows?

Dec 4, 2022
Hello everyone
I have a Asus x570p motherboard AM4 socket and am currently using a Ryzen 5 3600XT on it. I want to upgrade my CPU only, keep the same motherboard but not have to re-install windows and all my apps, etc.

Will this be as simple as just removing the old CPU and placing in the new CPU?

Or will I need to make a windows backup and install from the back up, etc?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
No, you do absolutely nothing else other than take the old CPU out and install the new one. The motherboard may reset the BIOS on its own, but that's about it.
Dec 4, 2022
I had a 3600 and changed to an 5600. I had to login in to my Microsoft account and change my PIN, windows 11.
Just make sure you have your e-mail and password in hand so you can login again.

Reactions: gibbsfranco
Dec 4, 2022
CPU upgrades do not usually require an OS reinstall.

I just went from a 5600x to 5800X3D and I didn't have to do anything to the OS. I've done other CPU swaps before and have never required any changes to the OS.

I'm planning on upgrading to the 5800X3D also. So was your upgrade process just to remove the old CPU and slide in the 5800X3D? My Motherboard BIOS is already up to date so I think I should be good there. Did you have to install any drivers or anything like that? sorta like upgrading a videocard?

kanewolf

Titan
I'm planning on upgrading to the 5800X3D also. So was your upgrade process just to remove the old CPU and slide in the 5800X3D? My Motherboard BIOS is already up to date so I think I should be good there. Did you have to install any drivers or anything like that? sorta like upgrading a videocard?
The cooling for a 5800X3D is significantly more than a 3600x. You MAY have to upgrade your cooling.

Reactions: gibbsfranco