[SOLVED] Upgrade faulty or old GPU dying?

prac daske

Honorable
Mar 11, 2016
Hi folks!
I recently upgrade my system from an old FX-8350 + AM3 platform to a 10600k + Z490 and weird stuff start happening.
Since the moment I turned on the PC for the first time after the upgrade the screen flashes a blue screen with pink striped borders followed by a full pink screen, after that Windows boots normally.

After not having success with neither of the two XMPs I tried some memory OC profiles from Memory Try it! (the mobo is MSI) starting with 4000Mhz:
Cinebench.......OK!
Prime95 Large FFT 2h.......OK!
Prime95 Large FFT 4h.......FAIL!

So, back to the BIOS and next on the list was 3866Mhz:
Cinebench.......OK!
Prime95 Large FFT 4h.......OK!

Satisfied with the result I decided to call it a day and go to bed.
The next day I turn on the machine (the pink screen still happens, I assume it must be a board glitch or something) and start a 12h gaming session with no issues, no drops, no freezes, high frames, everything was perfect.

The day after that (today) I turn on the game and after 30 minutes or so the PC freezes with a buzzing sound. I've seen these before often related to unstable memory OC, so once again back to the BIOS now testing 3400Mhz:
Cinebench.......OK!

Now I turn on the game and I notice frames dropping till the image freezes but the game sound keeps rolling normally and I can terminate the game's process and keep using the PC (browser, Discord, etc) like nothing happened.
So I decided to undo any OC on the memory, now sitting at 2133Mhz and I don't run any test. The game image freezes after a couple of minutes so I rollback to some 2019 drivers that seems to be the most stable ones for an RX 470 (19.9.1) and the ones I used for a long time with my previous combo.
With the old drivers installed I run the game for a couple of hours with no issues, then suddenly the card goes jet engine with the fans at 100% when the temps are barely hitting 60C. I reset the fans by turning ON and OFF the auto mode in MSI Afterburner (this happened before but no with the fans going 100%) and after a couple of minutes again, game image freezes with sound going and I can terminate the process.
So I'm having some trouble trying to decipher which part or parts are causing the system instability and need some advice in this area, any help will be highly appreciated.

Solution
Hi folks!
I recently upgrade my system from an old FX-8350 + AM3 platform to a 10600k + Z490 and weird stuff start happening.
Since the moment I turned on the PC for the first time after the upgrade the screen flashes a blue screen with pink striped borders followed by a full pink screen, after that Windows boots normally.

After not having success with neither of the two XMPs I tried some memory OC profiles from Memory Try it! (the mobo is MSI) starting with 4000Mhz:
Cinebench.......OK!

Cinebench.......OK!

Satisfied with the result I decided to call it...
Hi folks!

Cinebench.......OK!

Cinebench.......OK!

Satisfied with the result I decided to call it a day and go to bed.
The next day I turn on the machine (the pink screen still happens, I assume it must be a board glitch or something) and start a 12h gaming session with no issues, no drops, no freezes, high frames, everything was perfect.

The day after that (today) I turn on the game and after 30 minutes or so the PC freezes with a buzzing sound. I've seen these before often related to unstable memory OC, so once again back to the BIOS now testing 3400Mhz:
Cinebench.......OK!

Now I turn on the game and I notice frames dropping till the image freezes but the game sound keeps rolling normally and I can terminate the game's process and keep using the PC (browser, Discord, etc) like nothing happened.
So I decided to undo any OC on the memory, now sitting at 2133Mhz and I don't run any test. The game image freezes after a couple of minutes so I rollback to some 2019 drivers that seems to be the most stable ones for an RX 470 (19.9.1) and the ones I used for a long time with my previous combo.
With the old drivers installed I run the game for a couple of hours with no issues, then suddenly the card goes jet engine with the fans at 100% when the temps are barely hitting 60C. I reset the fans by turning ON and OFF the auto mode in MSI Afterburner (this happened before but no with the fans going 100%) and after a couple of minutes again, game image freezes with sound going and I can terminate the process.
So I'm having some trouble trying to decipher which part or parts are causing the system instability and need some advice in this area, any help will be highly appreciated.
Try to update the bios to the latest, then do a clean and fresh install windows and do not connect to the internet yet, make sure you save your old radeon driver with you, and then after everything set, install intel chipset driver, restart, then install the radeon driver you saved before, and then try to use it daily :D

Changing platform somtimes made a mess without clean installing windows.

If everything normal, put the XMP on, and try to use it daily, also put the ram onto slot 2 and 4, not 1 and 3 (just in case its on 1 and 3).

Solution

prac daske

Honorable
Mar 11, 2016
Try to update the bios to the latest, then do a clean and fresh install windows and do not connect to the internet yet, make sure you save your old radeon driver with you, and then after everything set, install intel chipset driver, restart, then install the radeon driver you saved before, and then try to use it daily :D

Changing platform somtimes made a mess without clean installing windows.

If everything normal, put the XMP on, and try to use it daily, also put the ram onto slot 2 and 4, not 1 and 3 (just in case its on 1 and 3).

Oh I did fresh install everything, except updating the BIOS I'm currently running v16 and MSI official site says v17 only improves audio compatibility.
Should I still try updating BIOS and re-install everything?

TRENDING THREADS