Question Upgrade from 1650 super to 5600 XT, worth it?

iSente

Reputable
May 14, 2020
For background, I have a relatively low-consumption (350W VS PSU from Corsair), low budget mini-ITX currently with:

• AsRock Z390M
  • i5-9400
  • GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER WINDFORCE OC 4G
  • Samsung SSD 870 EVO 1 TB
  • 2x8Gb Ballistix 3000 MHz DDR4 CL15
  • All in a Fractal Design 304
I almost exclusively use it for gaming at 1080p (although it's connected to a 4K TV, but it's in the living room and 1080p is more than fine from couch-distance), and I'm usually playing games released at least >5 years ago (I think the most modern game I played is Nier Automata). The 1650S was a great surprise since it can hold very well in high settings at 1080p.

Anyway, a friend is disposing of his 5600 XT (Sapphire Pulse RX 5600 XT OC 6GB GDDR6) and I could have it for ~100€, so I'm wondering if the upgrade is worth it?
Also, the 5600 XT has 25W+ TDP than the 1650S, but I guess it's still fine with my PSU? (I have actually no idea).

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you would def be pushing the limits of that psu with it. i'd leave everything at stock if you decide to buy it or upgrade the psu to a higher power unit.

my 1650s barely uses 100w which yous is also likely to sit around. but your adding about 50w, maybe more, to that with the 5600xt especially since it is an oc model .

at full price i'd not consider buying but at 100 it's probably worth it for the small upgrade. you can likely sell your 1650s and recover most of that cost anyway.

iSente

Reputable
May 14, 2020
at full price i'd not consider buying but at 100 it's probably worth it for the small upgrade. you can likely sell your 1650s and recover most of that cost anyway.
Exactly.
My main worry right now is the PSU, as you said.
I don't know how reliable pcpartpicker is for wattage, but it estimates 229W for my current setup, and 289W for the new one.
It could be an opportunity to upgrade de PSU and go full modular, and the small case will def benefit from it...

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
The CPU is my concern. At stock it should be ok. Main goal is keeping it under 100w max. Lower if possible.

Honestly a new PSU is a better idea but if you can keep the CPU in check it will hold up for now. But I'd def save for a more appropriate PSU

Reactions: iSente