Upgrade from AMD 7730 to Nvidia 960

Feel_Happy

Reputable
Feb 26, 2014
Hello everybody, I'm looking to upgrade my gpu. I currently have an AMD 7730. I'm gaming at 1080p and I'm thinking about upgrading to an Nvidia 960. What kind of performance boost would I be getting? Would it be worth it?

Solution
Your CPU is good, so AMD cards will reach their full potential. Depends on what you are willing to pay, but the 970 is really powerful, the 960 is good but not as good, and AMd options tend to be a better value, but run hotter and take more power.

But to answer the original question, a 960 would be a huge upgrade from an AMD 7730. Maybe a 5x upgrade.

Proofy

Admirable
It will be a decent upgrade but I would suggest you just so save a bit more money and get GTX 970 instead because future game will be much more VRAM hungry.

However make sure that your cpu won't bottleneck your new gpu

Feel_Happy

Reputable
Feb 26, 2014
My cpu is an i5-4670k, so I don't think it would bottleneck. Would a 970 really be worth it? The most intensive games I play are Crysis (first one), Planetside 2, and Skyrim.

Proofy

Admirable

Correct, your cpu won't bottleneck neither 960 or 970 gpu. For those particual games 960 will be more than good enough. If you're planning to play newer and future games in high video setting I'd go for 970.

TallestJon96

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2014
It would be a substantial upgrade, and the 960 is pretty good for 1080p. An argument can be made that the AMD 280is a better deal, but the 960 is slightly more powerful, and uses very little power.

What are your other specs?
Nvidia is good for lower end machines, because their drivers take less CPU power.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I played heavily modded Oblivion for the better part of 6 months. Then I got bored and switched to heavily modded Skyrim. Then I got bored again, so switched back to Assassin's Creed 3 for a few months, and now I'm back on Guild Wars 2, which I've had since it came out.

There is exactly no telling when I'll be bored again, it'll just happen, (already starting I think) and I'll get something like TitanFall or the new StarWars.

You play your games now, and a gtx960 will work great, but what happens when you get bored of them and switch to something a lot more graphically demanding. Considering the price of the gtx960, and then the price of its bigger brother the gtx970, it would be worth the time invested in saving more. It's not exactly future proofing as much as making allowances for your future decisions.

TallestJon96

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2014
Your CPU is good, so AMD cards will reach their full potential. Depends on what you are willing to pay, but the 970 is really powerful, the 960 is good but not as good, and AMd options tend to be a better value, but run hotter and take more power.

But to answer the original question, a 960 would be a huge upgrade from an AMD 7730. Maybe a 5x upgrade.

Solution